Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2012 (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Clauds

I can only assume that there is a reason why they use Candice so much for literally everything. I'm sure part of it is because she'll be the best known one around after Adriana/Ale leave, but I also think it has to do with how almost everything looks good on her. Obviously I'm a fan of Adriana, but I don't think she looks the way she used to in most catalog pictures anymore. That's my opinion of it. Just because I personally don't like Candice, doesn't mean I can deny the effect she has.

It would be interesting if they released stats on that (of course they won't and it's hard to really gather statistics fully) but just saying.

It has to do with the fact that they photoshop the shit out of her she looks good on pictures, which causes women to like her and that causes those woman to buy what she's selling ...That's probably why Chanel's contract wasn't renewed, women couldn't relate to her meaning she wasn't selling so it was pointless keeping her around. I think it's easy as that, you'll buy from the woman who makes you think "Oh wow, I'd like too look like that"

However i don't think they use Candice that much because she sells that much more than Lindsay, Erin, Doutzen, Barbara or whoever. Clearly VS is pimping her to lead the Angels in the future & that's why they're pushing her so much.

It has to do with the fact that they photoshop the shit out of her she looks good on pictures, which causes women to like her and that causes those woman to buy what she's selling ...That's probably why Chanel's contract wasn't renewed, women couldn't relate to her meaning she wasn't selling so it was pointless keeping her around. I think it's easy as that, you'll buy from the woman who makes you think "Oh wow, I'd like too look like that"

However i don't think they use Candice that much because she sells that much more than Lindsay, Erin, Doutzen, Barbara or whoever. Clearly VS is pimping her to lead the Angels in the future & that's why they're pushing her so much.

but why would they pump her as the lead angel if she didn't sell more? Just curious what the purpose would be otherwise. Isn't that the point of whoever they hire as Angels? I mean not to be rude but Candice doesn't have much else going for her, as she's incredibly boring and I cringe when she tries hard to look like she's having fun in videos like the swim videos.

Because Ed & Monica obviously like her a lot?

Clearly, but this isn't as simple as playing favorites. As much as they must like and dislike certain girls, they're not going to make decisions for their company as big as someone being the lead angel if it wasn't for a reason other than that they like her. In candice's case, I'm not sure what else it can be. As I don't think she really is as popular as she should be (considering how much they've pushed her in the last few years) and like I said, I don't see her having a spectacular personality. so I have always chalked it up to her being able to sell and having a super hot body :idk: I guess we won't really know... but these are just my thoughts

speaking of hot- why doesn't nina agdal work with VS more? I see your sig all the time and can't get over how hot she is, but she still has a cute face. I think she could do really well for them. I'm not familiar with what models have chosen not to continue working with vs on their own, or if VS made the decision..so feel free to school me on that if you'd like. But i'm curious.

I think it's because of her work with Aerie, she's their #1 girl right now & i think Aerie is PINK's biggest competition. I remember Jessica Perez didn't work for VS while she was working for Aerie & now that she's done with Aerie she's doing VS again, but it could be coincidence & then there's the fact Nina didn't even go to the castings for the VSFS so she's not even interested on it right now, she's also working with Maaji Swimwear & Sauvage but i don't know how those contracts are

I always wanted to see Nina & Kate Upton doing more work for VS, i think they both would be better for the company than some of the girls they're using right now

I think it's because of her work with Aerie, she's their #1 girl right now & i think Aerie is PINK's biggest competition. I remember Jessica Perez didn't work for VS while she was working for Aerie & now that she's done with Aerie she's doing VS again, but it could be coincidence & then there's the fact Nina didn't even go to the castings for the VSFS so she's not even interested on it right now, she's also working with Maaji Swimwear & Sauvage but i don't know how those contracts are

I always wanted to see Nina & Kate Upton doing more work for VS, i think they both would be better for the company than some of the girls they're using right now

I like Nina's body type better than Kate's. I'm not a fan of Upton's and wouldn't want to see her with VS for several reasons but I think Nina is a little bit 'curvier' than a lot of the current girls and she would be a nice face to see.

I like Nina's body better too, but i just love Kate's personality (or at least what I've seen from her videos) & i think she would be great for VS, sadly i don't think we'll ever see them doing much for VS =/

They use her for events because she has a huge fan base and is the most well known angel, that's common sense.

You do realize it's a business? They won't give a shit if those fans don't buy the bras they see her flinging... I feel like a broken record but VS is a business first, all they care about is how to make more money. If those Adriana fans only get the events crowded but don't buy the undies they see her flinging Or if they only look at how gorgeous she looks in the commercials/catalog but don't buy what they see her wearing, what's the point of having her work for them like crazy? VS did say they use the girls based on the people's reaction to the products they're selling. I've always thought Adriana sold as many lingerie as Heidi and Gisele. I think the only thing that held her back was the language barrier. She was working as hard as Gisele. Gisele only worked more than her in interviews and stuff like that. They could've concentrared on KK when Gisele left as her English is good, but they didn't. Business.

Candice looks good in everything my foot. She has an amazing body and all. She's everywhere because I'm sure she sells the products, but mainly because their money's on her as the next big thing. They want to make her happen, and now! Look at the VS show viewing party, she sure isn't selling anything there but she's in 90% of the pictures. She doesn't have the effect as Adriana (or KK or Heidi etc etc) Like come on, that ship has sailed. This is her 5th show and they're still introducing her... The older girls never need that.

I agree that Adriana doesn't look as perfect as she used to, but isn't that how it works when you're getting older?

Also, Kate needs to never do VS again :yuckky:

Yes obviously I as well as everyone else knows that it's a business. But how is her fan base and the fact that she appeals to people not relevant when it comes to being a VS angel? Obviously they lack in having girls that can bring a star type quality to VS. (Not saying karlie is a superstar) but she can do things like what she's doing with Joan for MTV. She's a personality, and I feel that she has a good amount to bring to vs (also considering her being an American from the midwest) much like Erin who is from Skokie. She has been more than successful in the HF world and designers and icons in the fashion world overwhelmingly love her. Just because some people, or many people if we are talking about Bellazon think that karlie isn't a good fit because she's not sexy enough for VS doesn't mean that she's not or that she won't do well for her business. If we're talking about youtube comments/people on tumblr. They also still bitch about Lily and Erin being angels and repeatedly complain about how they're not as beautiful as the other angels. That doesn't change what Lily is able to bring to the brand (which I believe is her personality).

I at no time said that she is more popular than Adriana or that she has had more of an impact or will than Adriana has had. So let's not make this about Adriana being better than Candice and all else :cain:. All I was saying is that at this point and time, I feel she is more relevant to Victoria's secret than Adriana lima is. That is not to say Candice has the same effect Adriana did when adriana was in her prime. Obviously not, and in my post I also said she isn't as big as they've wanted her to be over these last few years. But I stand by my statement that today, in 2012, Adriana vs Candice in terms of their relevance for the brand Candice is more important, and imo sells better. While Adriana is still used for events often because people want to see her (as she's been an angel for like 13 years).My opinion.

I at no time said that she is more popular than Adriana or that she has had more of an impact or will than Adriana has had.

That's not what I was getting at too

in 2012, Adriana vs Candice in terms of their relevance for the brand Candice is more important, and imo sells better. While Adriana is still used for events often because people want to see her (as she's been an angel for like 13 years).My opinion.

Of course, Candice is more important to the brand now... But unless they start using Adriana for only the events and not campaigns, I think it's more about people buying the things they see on her than getting events full

About Karlie, she's one of my favorite young models, but she really really is a turn off to me for VS. The valentines day campaign pics of her are not selling me anything. She does have charisma and I enjoy watching her interviews.

About Karlie, she's one of my favorite young models, but she really really is a turn off to me for VS. The valentines day campaign pics of her are not selling me anything. She does have charisma and I enjoy watching her interviews.

And that's fine because we all have our different views on models. But I also feel that Karlie's one of those girls that people shudder no at from the start because she doesn't fit the mold of what vs models are 'supposed' to look like. She's not a typical VS bombshell by any measure, but I don't think a lot of the girls that they pick up are. I also think people don't see the appeal of certain girls at the start, and it changes over time. I'm not trying to sell Karlie to anyone, as even I can agree that she doesn't look as commercial as some of the other angels do in her catalog pictures. But I think everyone already decided this before she ever took her first picture for VS (which I think was for vs swim), and after the pictures came out. They were more than eager to assign the thought they were most comfortable with. I think we should wait and see. The current girls look nothing like the older girls did nor do they have the presence. Eventually we learned to still accept them. Karlie doesn't have the sex appeal of Adriana, Candice, or Doutzen but I don't thnk she's as terrible as people make her seem to be within VS

The one thing that drives me crazy is this discussion about Karlie not having curves while we act like the rest of the VS models do :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's subjective, i dislike Candice a lot so obviously she won't sell me shit, but i like Adrian a lot so obviously I'll probably buy what she sells, but i bet that Siemgi who dislikes Adriana a lot won't buy shit from her but he would probably buy whatever Lindsay sells because he likes her a lot, i think it all comes down to who each one of us (or X VS costumer) likes better :idk:

I don't buy VS stuff, tho. I just like Lindsay ;)

Also re: why is Candice everywhere? She was an instant hit in the 2007 VSFS, was available and sold well enough for them to continue using her from that . At some point VS has to invest to make their girls known and relatable, since it's their main advertising technique. They chose Candice because she seemed like the best fit. Obviously it worked out better than with Chanel.

Cherry and Siemgi your last posts tell the truth.

I have to say though, I think what people mean when talking about Candice's effect not being the same as Adriana has nothing to do with popularity or such. I think her and Adriana are two of the most beautiful models in the world but Candice compared to the angels pre 2007, Candice lacks presence, she's dull, her personality is nothing special, she doesn't have the wow factor. The girls back in the day were the whole package, they were glamorous, gorgeous, tall, had presence. They were what people thought of when you talk about supermodels. Candice is just...lacking

While Adriana is still used for events often because people want to see her (as she's been an angel for like 13 years)

I don't think it's about how long you've been an angel. Ale has been one almost as long as Adriana so...

Cherry and Siemgi your last posts tell the truth.

I have to say though, I think what people mean when talking about Candice's effect not being the same as Adriana has nothing to do with popularity or such. I think her and Adriana are two of the most beautiful models in the world but Candice compared to the angels pre 2007, Candice lacks presence, she's dull, her personality is nothing special, she doesn't have the wow factor. The girls back in the day were the whole package, they were glamorous, gorgeous, tall, had presence. They were what people thought of when you talk about supermodels. Candice is just...lacking

While Adriana is still used for events often because people want to see her (as she's been an angel for like 13 years)

I don't think it's about how long you've been an angel. Ale has been one almost as long as Adriana so...

I was strictly talking about in terms of selling products. Which is why in both posts I referenced Candice's personality, or lack there of. As for ale/adriana... Alessandra has always taken a back seat to Adriana unfortunately. That's a given, but we were talking about why Adriana does several events compared to the other girls, it's because she has always been more important to vs than Ale was but the fact that she's the best known name (in large part due to her veteran status) has a lot to do with why she is preferred to be doing things with the press. Just common sense and a move any business would make.

Why don't you guys like Kate Upton for VS???!!!

I don't want to start a riot with the Upton fans, but to be fair- this is not her thread. I think she looks like a hybrid of Anna Nicole Smith and Alvin the chipmunk. She just looks cheap to me and I'm not a fan of her body. Of course most men, especially American men would differ, as a pair of healthy breasts keeps them happy. And hey if that works for her, more power to her. She's making money and I guess that's what matters. I'll have to +1 Siemgi and say I would like her to stay away from VS because of my interest in it. Imagine if she were apart of VS though, the only thing more cringe worthy than seeing Candice attempt to dance during VS Swim videos is having to watch Kate do the cat daddy again.

Have to add, Adriana is a pretty horrible dancer too. And brazilians are generally good dancers (Gisele..Izabel..)

Well the show did go downhill after Gisele left, i think most of us agree that after 2006 (Gi's last show) it's when the show started to get bad, they started to cast more HF/super skinny/too young-looking models, they started to have more attention on the performers. I'm scared it will get even worse after Alessandra & Adriana are both gone, i feel like VS will do 5 Pink-ish segments 1 one mainline segment :ninja:

This is around the time where the VSFS went form having women to having girls. This has nothing to do with the actual ages of the models and more with their (body) type. In general they have gone towards the more petite frames.

It's not just Gisele, they have also lost KK, Tyra, Naomi, Heidi, ... since that time. Was there even a single woman like that (other than maybe Hilary Rhoda) on this year's show?

Why don't you guys like Kate Upton for VS???!!!

I think that bridge was napalmed the moment Sophia Neophitou decided to publicly insult Kate Upton, for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

That was still one of the oddest incidents involving a senior VS representative. I was actually surprised that the company allowed her to get away with such a classless act without any form of apology.

Public/media personalities have been forced to apologize for a lot less.