Bellazon

Game of Thrones

wickedcrazyness

57 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Good one :rofl: @Stromboli1 That reminds me of something that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :cain:

Yes, that's what happens when you write the story as you go with different writers doing their own chapters than writing the whole story together as a group with equal creative input. Also in GoTs case the writers getting bullet points on how to end the show rather than the depth in direction on how to get to those bullet points.

I'm high right now so I hope you get what I'm saying. iiz5fGJ.gif

4 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Because of Maggy the Frog's prophecy (valonqar)? Yeah, that would've made sense. And it would've made Jaime's journey to redemption more meaningful...

It seems like prophecies in GOT are not very reliable (looking at Melissandre).  

The behind the scenes footage of the showrunner said that Jaime is "addicted" to Cersei and the last minute move was a backslide.  The issue I have with this (as with several character arcs) is the in-congruence.  Jaime didn't seem addicted to Cersei at all in the show- besides being her lapdog  he didn't even seem much in love with her!  

Jaime- Brienne's story is one of the more interesting ones in the show.

On 5/15/2019 at 5:35 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Going back to GOT, it surprised me that Unsullied became wild/uncontrollable. Crowds or wild troops can unleash wild violences, but the Unsullied are trained and disciplined soldiers. Their behavior was a bit surprising. Even if they are faithful to Dany and saw her burn the city, it's not a big enough signal for attacking mercilessly defenseless soliders/people (from the ground they couldn't see what she attacked, maybe she was destroying some last defenses - they reacted a bit too quickly imho and Jon, who's one of Dany's lieutenants, told them to stop). Maybe, the best explanation is that Grey Worm's personal vengeful feelings got the best of him, and they all blindly followed.

Dany's progression is a complex subject. It seems to me that she always had a duality, between angry feelings and a sense of justice.  Before King's landing, the fact people always saw her as a savior probably eased her angry impulses and strengthened her sense of justice. Then, in King's landing, she's not "praised" and she's not seen positively, so it may have helped to resurface her angry feelings and to soften her sense of justice (she says so herself, something like "if I can't rule with love here, I will rule with fear").

What you are talking about is the phenomenon known as "the madness of the crowds",  where the individual gets submerged into the collective.  When this  happens, the individual gets swept away by the fury and loses conception of personal responsibility (their crimes are hidden in "the mass" so they act on their worst impulses, feeling at the moment that they can get away with anything.  This happens all the time in war crimes- the soldiers are in a time and place where they are effectively in a "world without rules".   In a way, war and high pressure situations shows men who they really are and war crimes are positively correlated with a lower level of unit discipline or ideological hatred/lower morality.

Yes, that's right about the unsullied.  Either it's another illogical turn by the showrunners are there is more embedded meaning for the slave-soldiers to break discipline.

After Episode 5, I have the impulse to re-visit Dany's arcs again.  I paid the least attention to her and jorah's stories :rofl:  Her downfall after Winterfell to me was not done adequately and in accordance to how it worked earlier on the show.  Essentially she had 1.5 episodes to make a 180 and turn on her hard won alliance that took seasons to build up.  She jumped into Plan B with little to contain the impeding fallout of Plan A except her Dragon, which can't follow her around in-doors like the Mountain...