Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

I do not buy also the "the ugly duckling" stories but I do believe they were awkward. This article was written when Jac was 14, there was a big controversy when IMG wanted to send her to take part on the australian fashion week.

Back to school for banned model Monika Jagaciak, 14

Back to school ... Monika Jagaciak / Tim Anderson

THIS is the Polish schoolgirl Australian Fashion Week organisers believed appropriate to front their glamorous festival.

But instead of strutting the catwalks in Sydney this week, Monika Jagaciak was walking to school in Poland looking exactly her age - just 14.

The rising star's planned visit Down Under was canned at the last minute after protests about underage models.

She made her feelings known about the decision when tracked down at her home town by The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"I think it's stupid. I feel like I'm older," she said.

And her proud mother Marlena said she personally accompanied her daughter on assignments and would never put her in danger.

"She's a good student who is doing very well at school," Mrs Jagaciak said through an interpreter. "Because of her age, she always has someone with her. She is never on her own."

Monika and her family live in Puszczykowo, a township of just 9000 surrounded by national park about 300km west of Warsaw.

Monika's mother believes her daughter has enough support to handle the tough industry and does not resent Australia's ban.

"We don't take it personally. We understand that's the rules and they apply to everyone," Mrs Jagaciak said.

Monika also believes her schoolwork has not suffered from her trips away on modelling assignments.

"My teachers say I'm good. They give me material to study when I'm not home," she said. She is still determined to travel to Australia. "I want to go when I'm 16 or older," she said.

By that time she'll be the minimum age set by Australian Fashion Week organisers in response to community outrage over her case.

The teen and her mother were unable to talk further after their agents banned interviews in light of the controversy in Australia.

Global management company IMG, behind international stars such as Heidi Klum, has taken on Monika, an indication there are big things ahead for the young model.

A company representative declined to comment this week.

Monika's Polish agent Katarzyna Rusin said: "Monika is being prepared to be a superstar, that is why no one is allowed to speak to her."

Wearing a plain uniform and stripped of make-up, Monika could have been any student as she headed to class with a backpack slung over her shoulder and friend by her side.

But her physical appearance sets her apart from her classmates. Rail-thin, she could cause some observers to be concerned. She also towers above her fellow pupils.

Many residents remain unaware of the town's rising star, who has appeared for French fashion house Hermes and Calvin Klein and been the cover girl for several magazines.

In Sydney, Vogue editor-in-chief Kristie Clements addressed the issue of Jagaciak's omission from fashion week in the June edition of her magazine. "The real question we need to ask is why a coltish prepubescent 14-year-old is chosen to present fashion to adult women," she wrote.

"The fashion world needs to be alert to the inherent misogyny here."

i think she meant that kind of awkwarness

Edited by PinkCouture
hotlinked image

I'm not saying that these girls didn't go through an awkward phase during adolescence; it's perfectly natural. However, I just wish they would be more honest about their teenage years, besides the whole 'boys didn't like me because I was tall and skinny'

So... saying they passed through an awkward phase in their teen year, something completely normal for all the girls, is not being honest? You're not them, you don't know about their personal lives to say that is false or truth. Jac got an Hermes campaign when she was 13, yes, but a beautiful face doesn't give you popularity, mostly when you're a tall, thin, shy girl at school, kids can be cruel.

You're right, I'm not them. I don't know them personally, but I would prefer to hear more about their teenage years besides their awkward stage especially since some of them have seen more countries than I probably will in my entire lifetime.

I'd like to know about that too... but that's the kind of question they get from the people they're interviewed by. They are women and they are models, they will be asked about diet/working out, crushes/love, they signs (?), their popularity at school or the lack of that, what they have in their purses, whom dress they're wearing... who made their nails. That's the truth.

To be honest I'm quite excited. Not because of the swim aspect but to see how they'll show off the new girls and where this is leading. For the first time in a long time there's actual excitement with new faces coming in. With the swim special and the recent commercial I'm looking forward to the direction VS are taking. So I can't wait to see the swim special. The last time it felt like this was when VS announced Candice, Rosie, Chanel, Erin, Lily, Lindsay. There was a big influx of new faces and VS is really needing that now.

Based off the new videos I think Jac and Jasmine have the best personalities as far as future Angels go. Stella still seems pretty boring but that could be nerves. 

ETA: Did anyone know Elsa and Ale had an event to promote the special today? I hadn't seen an announcement anywhere like VS typically does for those things but I could have easily missed it.

^ Yeah, we´ve all heard those question like billion times already and I´m sure for the models it´s the same. Most of the questions are bland and I myself wouldn´t come up with anything different when answering those... also considering you have a given amount of time for the answer.