Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

Sexual Advances, Quid-Pro-Quo Offers & Unwanted Fondling: Inside the Dark Underbelly of Male Modeling VIA Yahoo.com

>> https://www.yahoo.com/style/the-dark-underbelly-life-of-the-male-modeling-world-97227394953.html

When Terry Richardson’s studio behavior sparked a fashion-world conversation about the sexual harassment of female models last year, no one discussed how their male counterparts are getting manhandled regularly…but can’t boys fend for themselves?

New York Fashion Week is when editors, buyers, and other honchos on the male side of the fashion world—most of them gay men who all seemed to know one another, many of them in mid-thigh tailored shorts and sockless oxfords—will mill through a series of rooms, lubricated with drinks from a free bar and perusing presentations from various designers. In every room, male models—almost uniformly tall, rail-thin, white, Northern European-looking and twentysomething—stand in formations, nearly immobile, their chisel-cheeked faces impassive. Industry types examine and occasionally approach them, feeling the fabric of their form-fitting garments and sometimes turning back lapels or hems to look at stitching and construction.

Last season, I distinctly remember a designer who ushered over two other men to look at the details of the pieces being worn by one model. The two men accompanying the designer murmured and nodded their heads appreciatively. Then, as the trio was walking away, the designer gently and briefly caressed the model’s neck. It was a gesture that, whatever its intentions, clearly had nothing to do with stitching or construction.

The moment was fleeting, likely innocent, but it provided a glimpse into an aspect of the industry that is usually only whispered about: sexual advances, let’s-make-a-deal suggestions or downright harassment of male models, usually (though not certifiably always) by gay male photographers, designers, casting agents or other industry poobahs. Last year when the famous fashion photographer Terry Richardson has seen mounting allegations of sexual harassment against him by a string of former female models, culminating in a New York magazine cover story and a very public discussion about the sexual abuse of female models, the male side of the equation has gone virtually undiscussed.

Yet as I talked the past few weeks with scores of male models, casting agents and other industry insiders—most of whom demanded anonymity—it became clear that various levels of harassment, from inappropriate comments and touching to surprise requests to disrobe and explicit quid-pro-quo offers (accept my come-ons and I’ll advance your career), happen every day to male models, creating a troubling subtextual power dynamic that echoes its counterpart on the female side of the business.

One thing’s clear: Nobody really wants to talk about it—often, least of all, the (still mostly straight) male models themselves, who aren’t comfortable using the same language of sexual harassment that the women’s side of the casting call is only just now acclimating itself to.

“Harassment definitely happens,” says a men’s agent at a top agency, “more so than a lot of the guys like to tell us. A lot of them come back from shoots feeling very uncomfortable but they’re afraid that if they tell us, we’ll have to talk to the client. Then, if it gets back to the culprit, he, depending on his status, could actually destroy that model’s career.”

One afternoon, I stood outside a pre-Fashion Week casting call in downtown Manhattan for a major men’s show and asked dozens of models, many of them as young as 18 and with skateboards in tow, if they’d ever been sexually harassed. (I’d been quietly tipped off to the call by the casting agent, who wants more conversation around this issue.) I told the models they could speak anonymously. Many of them said they’d never experienced it personally but that stories about certain photographers, designers or agents who had a reputation as a “perv” or a “creep”—the same names, a few of them iconic, came up repeatedly—were commonplace, almost urban legends in the modeling world.

There are variations on the story about the revered photographer who flies a bunch of models to an exotic or remote locale and then sends boys home or retains them, reality-show-style, based on their willingness to accommodate his late-night knocks on their hotel-room doors. Or the photographer who makes his models do breathing exercises and touches them simultaneously to get them “in the zone.” There’s the late legendary designer who made all his male models pose before him, one after another, in the same Speedo. There’s the A-list agent who takes new boys into a private room for measurements and tells them they need to drop their pants.

Read More

On 5/3/2016 at 5:43 PM, Prettyphile said:

THANK FUCKING GOD SOMEONE SAID IT!

I also don't feel guilty for slavery :idk:me have nothing to do with it.

Other than that this guy is a moron :rofl: After the "rape culture" it's just non sense till the end.

9 minutes ago, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

They need to kick Candice out of VS already! We have Elsa now! :whistle:

What are you talking about ??? Because there's Elsa, they should fire Candice ?...Seriously ...