Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

13 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Stromboli1 @CandleVixen @Cult Icon @SympathysSilhouette

Do you remember when The Phantom Menace was released in the cinema? Such a great moment. I was a kid and Hollywood movies were so promising. Their promise was to blend great stories we already knew with new technologies (SFX, CGIs, etc.)

Science at the service of science fiction. I loved it. Beautiful promise.

I was so impatient to watch it (it was released in France months after the US). I loved it. I was thinking about it every day after seeing it again and again.

There was also the game Jedi Knight (and all of its sequels) which I played again and again.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952865f9c5cbe80547ba8

Yeah I was there opening day.

13 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Stromboli1 @CandleVixen @Cult Icon @SympathysSilhouette

Do you remember when The Phantom Menace was released in the cinema? Such a great moment. I was a kid and Hollywood movies were so promising. Their promise was to blend great stories we already knew with new technologies (SFX, CGIs, etc.)

Yea, it was really hyped up.  I saw it maybe 2 weeks after it came out ?  I don't recall.  Overall I had a good time but felt that it dragged in parts.  I was in late middle school.  Don't remember exactly how old.  In retrospect the prequels were better than what came after, even though at the time they were heavily criticized for not being as good as the original trilogy.

I agree that all those classic 80s/90s thrillers with quality directing, casting, art, and really good practical effects (Predator, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, etc.) have an immersion that is difficult to recreate these days.  CGI tends to immediately give the message 'this isn't real'. 

21 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Another awesome "vintage" movie I love.

Did you see the newer Dredd film? Pretty good but it didn't do well enough for a sequel.

I don't remember much from Stallone's Dredd.  I just know that in the comics Dredd never takes off his helmet.  The newer Dredd film is lore/and comic book accurate.  CDPR definitely borrowed a lot from it for Cyberpunk 2077.  V's residence is similar to the apartment block in the film.

22 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  did you see the new predator movie, Prey?  Or Predators?  

Predators was good. I liked Brody and Fishburne. The cast was pretty good overal, but it was inferior to the first two movies.

Alien vs Predator was alright too, though inferior to the other movies of both franchises.

I didn't see Prey. Is it good? 

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Yea, it was really hyped up.  I saw it maybe 2 weeks after it came out ?  I don't recall.  Overall I had a good time but felt that it dragged in parts.  I was in late middle school.  Don't remember exactly how old.  In retrospect the prequels were better than what came after, even though at the time they were heavily criticized for not being as good as the original trilogy.

Yeah, the prequels were really good. I'm not sure which one I preferred, maybe Attack of the Clones, but overall all of them are great movies (despite their flaws).

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Did you see the newer Dredd film? Pretty good but it didn't do well enough for a sequel.

I don't remember much from Stallone's Dredd.  I just know that in the comics Dredd never takes off his helmet.  The newer Dredd film is lore/and comic book accurate.  CDPR definitely borrowed a lot from it for Cyberpunk 2077.  V's residence is similar to the apartment block in the film.

The one with Karl Urban? No, I didn't see it. I was with a girl that didn't like these type of movies at the time :nicole:  I didn't get an occasion to see the movie later, maybe I should give it a go.

I don't know much about the comics.

Stallone's Dredd was great. And the guy that plays Rico was good too. He was in a movie about Nietzsche (he actually portrayed him), pretty good.

50 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

The one with Karl Urban? No, I didn't see it. I was with a girl that didn't like these type of movies at the time :nicole:  I didn't get an occasion to see the movie later, maybe I should give it a go.

I don't know much about the comics.

Stallone's Dredd was great. And the guy that plays Rico was good too. He was in a movie about Nietzsche (he actually portrayed him), pretty good.

I should rewatch the Stallone Dredd some time.  Critics gave it bad reviews but they also gave Demolition Man bad reviews.

The comics are awesome, they have extremely dark humor (like Total Recall, Demolition Man, etc) about dystopia.  

Yea, Karl's Dredd is typically considered the better of the two Dredd films, and it has the closest Aesthetic to Cyberpunk 2077.

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

Predators was good. I liked Brody and Fishburne. The cast was pretty good overal, but it was inferior to the first two movies.

Alien vs Predator was alright too, though inferior to the other movies of both franchises.

I didn't see Prey. Is it good? 

I saw portions of Predators.  I felt that they over-did the CGI and the tropes. It's alright.

Prey is good and worth watching for predators fans, it is like "The Revenant" but with a Predator.  I think in general fans like Predator 1/2/Predators/Prey

this past week was the worst week for me in 6 +years.  Very neurotic and stressful, despite all the studying of philosophy, spirituality, and psychology I've done.  Usually, I am calm and centered but when I face the worst fears they get me regardless.

The only thing that really centered me and provided a lot of relief was hiking in the park/walking in the neighborhood for 2:20/1:30 and listening the classic texts Dae De Jing and the Dhammapada.  These two texts are short in audiobook form (1:40, around 2:00) but they are extremely dense in red-pill truth and meaning.  They really combat the racing mind and help calm it with the truth. I think I've listen to each about 10+ times at this point.  It seems like no other psychological texts can match these two, simply worded texts for efficiency of delivery and impact.  

after I was done I slept better, but still woke up a bit early with some slightly nervous thoughts.  So it is not 100%.

Also, there is nothing made by man that is better than God's green earth.  

Now that HOD is out, I can see that people are still complaining about no Winds of Winter.

I think that maybe a good way to get closure for the 25 plus key characters is to borrow from the Witcher (CDPR/Sapkowski).  The path here is similar to what Western psychology/philosophy talk of, the path towards "Wholeness", finding oneself completely and living a better life, more attuned to what we really are.  This is an insight of the psychologist Carl Rogers.  Geralt becomes whole at the end of Blood and Wine, and so do his family/friends.  A happy and logical ending.

So maybe fans can use their knowledge of all these characters- Jon Snow, Danyers, Jaime, and even villains like Cersei etc. and think of a logical and more positive ending for all of them, and be content with their own personal vision of how their story ends.

I am looking over the Blood and Fire wikia/book to see if there are clues on how GRRM would end ASOIAF.  GRRM describes his style as the 'bittersweet' ending for the show.  I disagree, I found his ending more bitter than sweet, but at the same time tinged with a small ray of hope.   Bad characters get bad endings.

So far in Fire and Blood wikia he follows the same trend.  This kind of ending is not for me.