Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

9 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Daemon is a variation I think of these characters (like so many HOD characters, mostly derivatives).  He is kind of a lost soul of sorts, and more and more of his character will be revealed.  Of course Jaime was a better character than he. My favorite of Jaime Lannister was his travels with Brienne, and the loss of his hand.  This culminated in the scene where he breaks down in the baths.  Some of the best character reveals of the show.

What do you think of Larys?  He had big scenes in episode 6.  He too will become a major character in the story.

He's like a knock-off of Littlefinger, only I thought Aidan Gillen played that much more interestingly.

9 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

He's like a knock-off of Littlefinger, only I thought Aidan Gillen played that much more interestingly.

Like I commented in the HOD thread, it seems like he is the creepy version of Littlefinger.

Littlefinger was the moustache twirling, fun to watch villain.

The actor for Larys has done a good job though.  I found his monologue in Episode 6th to be very dark and Shakespearean. 

With Rings of Power, I'm thinking that Galadriel-Halbrand could have worked better with the audience if they were written as totally different characters.

Both would have to have a mixture of attractive, impressive, but also dangerous and questionable traits, with more (and unrequited) sexual tension.  And somehow the opposites attract, like yin and yang.  If Halbrand was well liked and ended up being Sauron it would be interesting to see people's reaction.  This would be a "Luke I am your father" moment LOL.

Halbrand is easier, the swashbuckler and humorous/trickster element would be essential.

Instead of being a miserable Byronic heroine, Galadriel could have written as a something likeable/original while still being loyal to Tolkien. Feminine but also masculine. Beautiful, graceful but also potential for misplaced, dangerous acts. 

Kind of like a superheroine who is not in full control of her powers but is driven forward by her task of loving and saving her people (not revenge but duty tinged with pride and desire for power).  Wise but flawed, and as events happen she grows wiser. 

The 50 hours of show should change her into the mature and retired Galadriel of the Fellowship of the Ring.

It's too bad as both actors for Halbrand/Galadriel are competent and look the part (mostly- Galadriel is much too short) but they have been ill-done by the bad writing.

Episode 6 and 7 are where Amazon spent a lot of their money.  Episode 6 is going to be a big battle episode.

It seems like Rings of Power has been subject to the conservative vs. liberal cultural wars.  

Interesting to see that Tolkien is getting deeply analyzed from a Christian point of view. 

(198) C.S. Lewis & J.R.R. Tolkien - Sci-Fi & Fantasy - YouTube

Tolkien denies that his work is Christian but there must be influence of some sort on it.  Likewise, it is impossible to fully understand TS Eliot's poems without considering the Christian aspect.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:52 AM, Prettyphile said:

We get a LOT of Trick R Treaters here.... Anywhere from 80  to 100 on average (sometimes more), and I don't just give them one candy bar and send them on their way, I like them to get a full handful.... and I do Halloween Candy bags for my mom's Adopted Grandkids, and my brother.

Damn, that's a lot of Trick R Treaters. How much you spend on decorating the house? 

6 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

It's on Netflix. I heard about it thanks to the music I stumbled upon on the Internet. Lots of people say it's a great show.

ah wow.  I had no idea that the game had a show now.  It was really popular a few years back as I recall.

On 9/27/2022 at 2:06 AM, phenobarbie said:

I mean, Bush read books to children, Biden smells them. They have some similarities...

What strikes me the most is that in the 2000s everybody saw Bush's totalitarian impulses coming. He was dangerous, but in the end he was a paper tiger, because he didn't have much moral strength.

Biden's totalitarian impulses seem more dangerous because they are hidden below layers of good intentions. It started a couple of years ago when the radical left took good fights (poverty, solidarity, environment) and distorted them to produce gibberish doctrines that end up doing the exact opposite of what they're meant to.

The uniformity between media, Hollywood, big tech, big companies and politicians is also extremely scary to me. Uniformity is the prelude to bad things.

Again, I'm just some French dude, I'm far away. So maybe I'm wrong. As Jimi would say... who knows?

23 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I just do this as a forever (hopefully) habit.  I know my limits (joints) and work within those limits.

I walk/hike 9 hours a week which takes care of legs.  I could probably use a back machine.  I don't know of exercises that target back particularly well and can be done at home.  I know that push-ups do effect the entire back, in a half-way level and walking does light work for the back. 

You can do dumbbell rows, they're pretty good. Or get a pull-up bar.

Rows are good to strengthen the back and protect your joints.

2 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

You can do dumbbell rows, they're pretty good. Or get a pull-up bar.

Rows are good to strengthen the back and protect your joints.

I should try that.  Hopefully it's not another shoulder/tricep exercise.  I do a similar exercise but standing up (not kneeling).