Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

I watched the first episode of Rings of Power.  

To be honest the story is shallow and rather stereotypical.  It's the type that can be easily telegraphed in advance.

The acting is more similar to stage acting rather than screen acting.  Like how people would perform Shakespeare, not how they would act in films.

Visuals are great but not artistically integrated with great acting and meaningful writing.

All the characters lack charisma, I don't really feel absorbed by any of them.  But as noted before I think M-Clark looks gorgeous.

I think the first mistake they made with this episode is not bonding the audience with the characters.  That should be plan A.  with the audience bonded, then the struggles of the characters have meaning.  If the audience is not bonded, they don't care about the characters.

This is also Tolkien's problem in the Silmarillion.   I found the audiobook extremely boring despite the complexity of the world building and the lore history. 

12 minutes ago, frenchkiki said:

I can't believe it's already autumn (the real one, not the one on the calendar) and it's still 32°c where I live.

September has been summer here for years.  Fall only really starts sometime in October over here. Near the end.

19 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Alright, way to go! Which topic was it about?

When it's released, you can share the link (on board or pm if you want).

Yea, when I have a youtube ready video, I prefer through PM though :D 

I just read a preface of a book.  Nothing special.  I found a teleprompter program that allows me to read it while maintaining eye contact with the camera.

It was just a practice video for me to employ some basic editing skills (header/footer, add photos, add music, editing the visual tones).   But the result was a beginner's version of what you see with some simple, successful channels like Dr. Grande (the monotone psychologist) and others.   I don't have a green screen though and am using a wooden paneled wall.  I am using a 4K webcam that looks passable indoors but not as good as high end camera.  The webcam performs well outdoors though.

What surprised me last weekend was the amount of time it took to experiment with various setups around the house and also make the first baby-steps in recording myself which is awkward but eventually I'll get better with practice.  In particular, without a green screen lighting is the most crucial factor that is easy to screw up.

I am also just not used to talking to myself or going into long monologues.  I would need to write a good script first before I attempt anything like that.   

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I watched the first episode of Rings of Power.  

To be honest the story is shallow and rather stereotypical.  It's the type that can be easily telegraphed in advance.

The acting is more similar to stage acting rather than screen acting.  Like how people would perform Shakespeare, not how they would act in films.

Visuals are great but not artistically integrated with great acting and meaningful writing.

All the characters lack charisma, I don't really feel absorbed by any of them.  But as noted before I think M-Clark looks gorgeous.

I think the first mistake they made with this episode is not bonding the audience with the characters.  That should be plan A.  with the audience bonded, then the struggles of the characters have meaning.  If the audience is not bonded, they don't care about the characters.

This is also Tolkien's problem in the Silmarillion.   I found the audiobook extremely boring despite the complexity of the world building and the lore history. 

HOTD is better in every way so far.

It seems like Bezos Video is learning on the fly how to do a fantasy epic series. Even the production is substandard with how much money was spent on the show. The sets, costumes/armor, CGI, cinematography, etc are crap so far. My guess is that'll take 2-3 seasons for them to finally figure it out.

From what I've read, HOTD is crushing ROP in the ratings.

1 hour ago, Stromboli1 said:

It seems like Bezos Video is learning on the fly how to do a fantasy epic series. Even the production is substandard with how much money was spent on the show. The sets, costumes/armor, CGI, cinematography, etc are crap so far. My guess is that'll take 2-3 seasons for them to finally figure it out.

From what I've read, HOTD is crushing ROP in the ratings.

HBO is like a well-oiled machine. I wish they bought the Witcher rights, not netflix.  I would be interesting to see W3 as a show, or the novels or W1.

It turns out that people really crave more GOT despite the S8 backlash lol.

The GOT book 1 is masterfully well written, and just like the show.  I can imagine people reading this for the first time and getting immediately hooked to these interesting characters.  I heard that Fire and Blood is more like a history book though, more impersonal and not written in the same style.

38 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

HBO is like a well-oiled machine. I wish they bought the Witcher rights, not netflix.  I would be interesting to see W3 as a show, or the novels or W1.

It turns out that people really crave more GOT despite the S8 backlash lol.

The GOT book 1 is masterfully well written, and just like the show.  I can imagine people reading this for the first time and getting immediately hooked to these interesting characters.  I heard that Fire and Blood is more like a history book though, more impersonal and not written in the same style.

Yeah that would've been very interesting, I like a lot of the cast on the show though.

GOT was crap in S7 too.

HOD needs source material or it'll suffer the fate as GOT. I think they can do 4-5 seasons tops, if there are more it'll become crap.

11 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Yeah that would've been very interesting, I like a lot of the cast on the show though.

GOT was crap in S7 too.

HOD needs source material or it'll suffer the fate as GOT. I think they can do 4-5 seasons tops, if there are more it'll become crap.

It would be nuts if they got the rights from CDPR.  There are various interpretations of the Witcher Saga, my personal favorite is the Witcher 3 by far.  It has the best everything, really.

There is  only two (planned) books for Fire and Blood.  Fire and Blood 1 already came out and its material is being used for Season 1...  I do not know how many seasons the first book can make.  Probably no more than 2.  That is a guess as I did not read the book.

Yea, GOT S7 was very weak, and disappointing.  I liked GOT 1-6.  The books cover 1-4, and parts of the other seasons.  

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

It would be nuts if they got the rights from CDPR.  There are various interpretations of the Witcher Saga, my personal favorite is the Witcher 3 by far.  It has the best everything, really.

There is  only two (planned) books for Fire and Blood.  Fire and Blood 1 already came out and its material is being used for Season 1...  I do not know how many seasons the first book can make.  Probably no more than 2.  That is a guess as I did not read the book.

Yea, GOT S7 was very weak, and disappointing.  I liked GOT 1-6.  The books cover 1-4, and parts of the other seasons.  

@Enrico_sw

https://twistedvoxel.com/cd-projekt-multiple-witcher-games-new-saga/

I agree GOT S1-S6 were really good, I can understand the book purists gripes about going off script too.

19 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

I finished Episode 1 HOD already.  Yea, it's a gripping, well made episode.  It is better written, better directed, and better acted.  Matt Smith as the Unhinged, dangerous manbaby.    

I like Rings of Power's art direction though.  A lot of it reminds me of the book. And a lot of it is so similar to Elden Ring that it makes me wonder if who plagiarized who or if they used the same inspiration.  I wonder if they hired WETA?    

I agree with Sympathy's views though that there aren't enough iconic characters in this GOT spin-off.  The focus here is more narrow.  There is also a lack of humor and fun characters. It is very serious and intense.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, Cult Icon said:

Yea, when I have a youtube ready video, I prefer through PM though :D 

I just read a preface of a book.  Nothing special.  I found a teleprompter program that allows me to read it while maintaining eye contact with the camera.

It was just a practice video for me to employ some basic editing skills (header/footer, add photos, add music, editing the visual tones).   But the result was a beginner's version of what you see with some simple, successful channels like Dr. Grande (the monotone psychologist) and others.   I don't have a green screen though and am using a wooden paneled wall.  I am using a 4K webcam that looks passable indoors but not as good as high end camera.  The webcam performs well outdoors though.

What surprised me last weekend was the amount of time it took to experiment with various setups around the house and also make the first baby-steps in recording myself which is awkward but eventually I'll get better with practice.  In particular, without a green screen lighting is the most crucial factor that is easy to screw up.

I am also just not used to talking to myself or going into long monologues.  I would need to write a good script first before I attempt anything like that.   

Way to go! You get better at everything when you practice it.

I'm not a huge fan of Dr Grande, he sounds like a depressed bloke.

Your teleprompter is on your PC's screen and you place the camera above the screen, right?

9 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

@Enrico_sw

https://twistedvoxel.com/cd-projekt-multiple-witcher-games-new-saga/

I agree GOT S1-S6 were really good, I can understand the book purists gripes about going off script too.

I hope they learn from their mistakes with regards to production timing and release dates... and I really hope that their writing doesn't get polluted by the current thing going on in American entertainment.

The Japanese are relatively unaffected by North American current lunacies (which is good and that's why I mostly watch manga/anime nowadays), but more and more European companies have high pressure from the media to contaminate their products with political agenda :yucky:

19 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

It's funny that Bezos Video has source material, but their adaptation sucks so far besides changing a lot of the story and making up new stuff, HBO is the total opposite.

Bezos is a bitch.

As the Washington Post's owner, he know his pee-pee will always be voraciously swallowed by the journalists he owns (here) :rofl::rofl: