Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

Rogan is definitely worth far in excess of 100 million to Spotify, they definitely worked out some projected figure by their financial analysts before the contract.  Probably in the several hundreds of million.  Basically he is big business.

In a way he is like Oprah (a super-influencer) but for libertarian men.

Oprah's show is so influential that the opinions expressed end up getting adopted by the (largely female) viewbase.  Anybody who appears on her show gets an instant boost in their career and opportunities.  Lots of money come their way.

Her show also has the same controversies, as sometimes she hosts or promotes quacks and gurus, spreading misinformation.  Her hosting of Jenny McCarthy, years before the pandemic increased popularity of the anti-vax message among her viewers.

Another aspect is Oprah's book club.  Any author, regardless of merit... that gets promoted by her instantly gets a sales windfall and wider production/distribution of their work.  So there are people who try hard to get on her show, or get promoted by her in some way.

4 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I don't know what Rogan's listening numbers mean in this discussion.

It means that CNN and traditional media are angry that they lost market share. Below the layer of high morality, there's jealousness and commercial warfare.

If he wasn't the biggest podcast in the world, Spotify never gives him 100 million dollars.

True.

It's precisely because he reaches so many people that there is obvious concern for him spreading misinformation.

Who decides what is misinformation?

Brian Stelter says his channel is the best on medical advice. Yet, he's obese (one of the main risk factors for Covid - it's been scientifically proven many times, Covid attacks fat tissues). CNN's articles misinformed people on the danger of obesity. This put the life of hundreds millions at risk.

As for Rogan, I don't know enough about him. His shows I really watched in full were with Matthew Walker (professor at  Berkley, great sleep expert) and Jon Haidt (professor at NYU). You can't really call these people the usual names (reecist, conspireecist, etc.)

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Rogan is definitely worth far in excess of 100 million to Spotify, they definitely worked out some projected figure by their financial analysts before the contract.  Probably in the several hundreds of million.  Basically he is big business.

Sure.

In a way he is like Oprah (a super-influencer) but for libertarian men.

Hmm, yes, that's possible. Are there any statistics on who his audience is? I'd be interested to know.

Oprah's show is so influential that the opinions expressed end up getting adopted by the (largely female) viewbase. 

I don't know enough about Oprah, but I know that mainstream women's magazines (Elle, Cosmopolitan, etc.) are also huge advertising platforms. For example, before covid, big movie releases were promoted in women's magazine with actress covers.

Her hosting of Jenny McCarthy, years before the pandemic increased popularity of the anti-vax message among her viewers.

Jenny McCarthy spread a misinformation (that's 20 year old) on MMR vaccine (a vaccine that saved the lives of millions of kids). There's enough data, hindsight and scientific research to show that what she said is garbage. Also, she's an actress... not a doctor.

My understanding is the Rogan uproar is about Pr. Robert Malone. That Prof. may be right or wrong (I dunno), but that's not the same "caliber". I can safely assume that he's more competent than Jenny.... :laugh:

2 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

It means that CNN and traditional media are angry that they lost market share. Below the layer of high morality, there's jealousness and commercial warfare.

True.

Who decides what is misinformation?

Brian Stelter says his channel is the best on medical advice. Yet, he's obese (one of the main risk factors for Covid - it's been scientifically proven many times, Covid attacks fat tissues). CNN's articles misinformed people on the danger of obesity. This put the life of hundreds millions at risk.

As for Rogan, I don't know enough about him. His shows I really watched in full were with Matthew Walker (professor at  Berkley, great sleep expert) and Jon Haidt (professor at NYU). You can't really call these people the usual names (reecist, conspireecist, etc.)

Eh? Obesity has been reported as one of the main comorbidities for COVID-19 since almost the beginning of the pandemic.

2 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Eh? Obesity has been reported as one of the main comorbidities for COVID-19 since almost the beginning of the pandemic.

Did you read my post? That's exactly what I'm saying.

In normal countries (like France), we had this information widely shared by our media from the beginning. But not on CNN and North American media. CNN actually promoted obesity during the pandemic with the body positivity movement (here, sept. 2021). Where are the CNN articles strongly advising people to diet?

Anyway, even in France, I think that communication against obesity and bad diets has been too soft. Obesity is a danger for your health (covid and also many other illnesses)