Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 8/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, CandleVixen said:

All of them. 

Plus his acting in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and in Dogma

The three books he penned (of his 1990s-2000s content) is on youtube in audio form.  His entire TV show is also on youtube (The George Carlin Show).  

On 8/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, Stromboli1 said:

The epilogue is good.

I believe the veteran comedians material changes with the times. Chappelle like Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, etc all used their lives in the projects as passion for their writing. As they grew older other experiences were reflected in their writing. They're constantly writing and thinking of new bits, that's how comedians grow. The comedians with shticks never last because they can't write new material and run their shtick into the ground.

Dane cook? haha. Carlin in the 70s-80s was different (and more political) than Carlin in the 90s-00s.

There seems to be a differential between timeless and overly topical humor.  Eddie Murphy's Delirious is still excellent despite it being from circa 1982 and Dave Chappelle's old school specials are still relevant.  Same for Carlin 2005 and 2008.  The themes are timeless.

Chapelle's recent special is not going to age well IMHO.  I'm surprised to see it rated 0% on RT as I thought the jokes were too soft.  He left a lot of comedy gold on the table.  Another thing I noticed in this special is the lack of his trademark physical acting.     Understandably, professional critics often use terms from sociology and even marxist (like late stage capitalism) to show their personal inclinations.  

Doom and Quake were really special for the time due to 1. lack of reference experiences- there was not much to compare it to 2. the feeling of horror, heightened by the maze like look and the hard difficulty level.  Games since then are in general, easier and more user-friendly.  

I always forget that Chappelle isn't from the projects, but grew up poor though.

11 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Dane cook? haha. Carlin in the 70s-80s was different (and more political) than Carlin in the 90s-00s.

Dane Cook. :rofl: I think the times dictate a lot of comedian's material and we live in politically charged times.

14 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

There seems to be a differential between timeless and overly topical humor.  Eddie Murphy's Delirious is still excellent despite it being from circa 1982 and Dave Chappelle's old school specials are still relevant.  Same for Carlin 2005 and 2008.  The themes are timeless.

There are instant classics and then there are ones needed for the times.

15 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Chapelle's recent special is not going to age well IMHO.  I'm surprised to see it rated 0% on RT as I thought the jokes were too soft.  He left a lot of comedy gold on the table.  Another thing I noticed in this special is the lack of his trademark physical acting.     Understandably, professional critics often use terms from sociology and even marxist (like late stage capitalism) to show their personal inclinations.  

I agree, but it was needed because of how PC and SJW ideology was ruining comedy like sports. I'm not surprised that it was rated 0 on Rotten Tomatoes because of how he went in raw on PC and SJW ideology. If you go against the mainstream far left you're smeared and called _________________ (insert labels) by them. It was a breath of fresh air and hopefully other comedians besides Ricky Gervais go after that crap to purge it from comedy. He did a little physical comedy in this special, but his impressions were awesome. Professional critics nowadays don't know their assholes from their earholes because it has to fit their biased agenda instead of being objective.

I meant to say Carlin was more political in the 90s and 00s, however his last two comedy specials are still timeless.  I've noticed that he ignores specifically focused humor and more aims at deep, universal and psychological truths that can withstand the deterioration of time.  I tried to listen to some of his earlier material and the 70s references fly over my head..

41 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I meant to say Carlin was more political in the 90s and 00s, however his last two comedy specials are still timeless.  I've noticed that he ignores specifically focused humor and more aims at deep, universal and psychological truths that can withstand the deterioration of time.  I tried to listen to some of his earlier material and the 70s references fly over my head..

Carlin was a cerebral comic.

1 hour ago, Stromboli1 said:

Watched Ghost of Mars last night and forgot how beautiful Natasha Henstridge was. Not that great of a movie, but I'm a big John Carpenter fan.

She looks like Madison Headrick's older sister.

Just watch species- she really looks like she's from another species.  11 out of 10 :

6faf4849dd83639cec8f6d5a2671f18b.pngMV5BY2RhNjY3M2EtM2IwNy00MTgyLThhNDEtNWY3MV5BYzAxZjU1MGYtNGEzOS00Y2UzLTgyZTYtMjQ2

On 9/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, Stromboli1 said:

Professional critics nowadays don't know their assholes from their earholes because it has to fit their biased agenda instead of being objective.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones

It's up to 33% now (9 reviews)- notice the audience is at 99%- clearly politically motivated.

This is my favorite stand up special from Dave:

I've been trying to catch up on comedy specials (have about 30 comedians bookmarked on youtube which has 1-3 specials each) for my research.  Are there any that you like in particular?

So far the greatest comedian I've listened to is Carlin and have all his comedy specials and his audiobook on my to-do list.

Rolling Stones did a top 50 list 

the ones in the list that I reviewed, how I feel about them:

Pryror:  Old school, reminds me of Eddie Murphy and the "granddaddy" of the top black comedians.  Frankly I find him dated though and prefer the younger ones.

Carlin: Best comedian imho and should be #1

lenny bruce:  very similar to Bill Hicks except older school.  More of a running political- social satire.  Extremely dated material.

louis CK:  excellent delivery but highly vulgar or shallow material- I didn't like his specials so much due to the material.

Chris Rock: great black comedian, my favorite black comedian as a kid.  Didn't check his new materials yet.  Too loud.

Jerry Seinfeld: good delivery and writing but very shallow observational material- basically his comedy is about nothing.

Chappelle: already discussed

Bill Hicks:  Very similar to Lenny Bruce- very dated material.  Overrated comedian.

Sam Kinison:  Too vulgar and difficult to relate to.  I know he's considered a great comedian.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-lists/50-best-stand-up-comics-of-all-time-126359/