Bellazon

Miranda Kerr
Thumbnail

katgirl

THE M FACTOR

In-between motherhood, modelling for international campaigns and running her own organic skincare line (hello 10 new Kora Organics products coming soon!), supermodel mogul and beauty entrepreneur Miranda Kerr gets up close and personal with Eleanor Pendleton at her Malibu home.

“Are you sure this is it?” I ask my Uber driver as Gritty Pretty’s art director Morgan and I pull up to a house located in Malibu, an hour drive from Los Angeles. He confirms it is the correct address. As the gate opens, I’m taken aback by the magnificent rose garden. David Keough, the man behind Miranda Kerr’s hair for the past 17 years (no big deal), warmly greets us.

I’m told Kerr has popped out of the house to drop off her son [Flynn, 5] to school (whom she shares custody with ex-husband, Orlando Bloom). Sure enough, no more than ten minutes passes by and Kerr bounces in through the door. “Guys, I’m so sorry,” she apologises – all fresh-faced wearing a navy Ann Taylor top, Rag & Bone white skinny jeans and sunglasses perched on top of her newly cut bob. “I had to drop Flynnie off.”

After jetting back from the Met Gala in New York City to our exclusive cover shoot in L.A., Kerr meets the entire crew before making her way to her kitchen and asking everyone if they’d like avocado on toast. My kind of woman.

Having spent the last decade living in New York, Kerr relocated to Malibu in December 2014 so she and her son could have a bit of space. Upon giving me a house tour, she says, “We have a garden, which Flynn and I pick strawberries from and we swim in the pool together all the time!”

It soon becomes clear that for Kerr being at home is a holiday. Perched on a private hill with Pacific Ocean views, Kerr’s Hampton-style home features an open plan living area with a granite fireplace surrounded by built-in bookshelves filled with brightly covered art and architecture books. The home, which has a large wraparound verandah, is filled with natural light and radiates with warmth, colour and the type of smells only a homemade soup can conjure. Fresh flowers, rose quartz and clear quartz crystals cover every table but it’s the custom-made clear grand piano that really takes centre stage. “Because it’s clear, it creates rainbows all over my house,” Kerr says with a smile that highlights those signature dimples. “Flynn and I play together – he’s having piano lessons.”

The walls, which are covered with photos of Kerr, her son and partner, Evan [Spiegel, 25, billionaire founder of Snapchat], fill the home with love. Her son’s drawings, which he has also autographed for his mother, sit proudly on the refrigerator door. It’s clear this is a home that is lived in.

Sitting by the kitchen bar watching Kerr make toast, I notice a peculiar machine attached to the kitchen sink. “It’s an incredible Kangen water filter – you can choose the alkaline levels,” she tells me. “I’ve made a few modifications to the house since buying it but I love renovating and redecorating! It's one of my favourite things to do,” Kerr says. In fact, a few weeks before we arrived, Kerr had a guesthouse built on the property with an outdoor shower and infrared sauna. “Flynn and I both meditate down there every day and I use the sauna all the time – it's one of my all time favourite purchases. My body feels so good after sweating it out in there. It's an amazing way to detox your body!”

And boy oh boy, that bodyAt 33, Kerr doesn’t look a day over 21. “I woke up this morning feeling bloated – it’s that time of the month,” she says rolling her eyes. “Yes,” I think. “She’s one of us!” After snacking on a slice of pizza for lunch (yes, pizza – I’m practically in love by now), Kerr explains her 80/20 rule: “I try my best to eat healthy, organic foods 80 per cent of the time but it’s also important not to deprive yourself of things because then you just crave it more and rather than eating one piece of chocolate, you’ll devour the whole block!” A big advocate for everything in moderation, Kerr admits her ultimate indulgence though is triple cream goats cheese, French fries and home made apple pie.

Most of the time though, Kerr pairs a healthy diet with exercise 4-5 times a week. “I love yoga and pilates, especially on the reformer machine – I have one at my home.” Proving she’s all about balance, Kerr admits she doesn’t get herself into a fitness craze.

Instead, for Kerr, it’s about regular consistency. “Sure, when I have a big event or a photo shoot, I tend to workout a bit harder or focus on the areas that are going to be visible. For example, at the Met Ball, my midriff was visible so I focused a bit more on abs that week.”

It’s Kerr’s spiritual and holistic approach to life – that she was instilled with by her parents and grandmother who is affectionately known as “Nana Kerr” – that has also had an influence her organic skin care line, KORA Organics.

“On the back of all of my products, you’ll notice little sentiments printed such as ‘love’, ‘peace’ and ‘tranquillity’. I hope these affirmations bring a little bit of happiness to my customers each time they use my products.”

When it comes to organic beauty products – particularly in Australia – Kerr and I agree it can be confusing for customers.

“What frustrates me is that many beauty brands claim to be ‘natural’ or ‘organic’ on their packaging but the fact is they may just have one or two organic ingredients.” Kerr explains, “If the entire formulation is not certified organic, then it hasn’t undergone the stringent process of testing, regular audits and strict regulations which KORA Organics does.” For KORA Organics, Kerr wants her customers to feel confident that they known what they’re buying. “I want my customers to see that Ecocert stamp on the bottle and know that the soil which all of our organic ingredients are grown in is also completely organic – even the water we use is infused with rose quartz.”

Kerr believes there's not another brand on the market that compares. But, don’t be fooled by her good looks – Kerr is a very clever business woman. “Yes, we’re in over 400 stores in Australia and on NET-A-PORTER globally and we have a team of about 30 full-time staff based out of Melbourne but because business is about evolving, we are always looking for ways to innovate. We’re currently in the process of upgrading our packaging – it will be an elevated version of the signature KORA blue. And, we’re also developing 10 new exciting products, which we hope to launch over the next year. But, I can’t give away too much!”

While some celebrities slap their names on products, after spending the day with Kerr at her home, it’s clear just how heavily involved she is with the business she “built from scratch”. “I started the company in 2009 but spent about two years before that getting the formulations perfect. I’m Australian and I wanted everything to be made in Australia because of the high quality ingredients available there.” 

Kerr says her vision was clear from the start: “I knew I wanted to include key ingredients that fed the skin with nutrients and really nurtured it back to its optimum health.” Noni fruit was one of those ingredients along with aloe vera and chamomile. “Then, I wanted to add Vitamins A, C & E as well as essential fatty acids to help with age prevention and fighting free radical damage.” Kerr reveals when developing her range (which is manufactured out of Melbourne), she worked closely with renowned aromatherapist, Judith White.

Aside from Flynn, Kerr says KORA Organics is her other baby. “Building my business has been such an incredible learning experience. I've been involved every step of the way from the formulations, business plan, packaging and financing.” But, it’s the daily testimonials that are really this entrepreneur’s biggest reward. “There’s no words to describe how fulfilling it is to hear from people who are benefiting from using my products. KORA has helped people who have struggled with eczema, dermatitis, rosacea and acne. I hear from so many mothers who have babies with skin issues and my organic products have helped them. It’s amazing.”

Seven years on from launching, KORA Organics now boasts an impressive 30-plus products from face mists, cleansers and exfoliants to a blemish gel, lip balm and heart chakra roll-on fragrance.

But, this business hasn’t always had highs. “Because I make a conscious effort to be present, I think I always try to focus on the positive and not engage with the negative. Starting KORA Organics certainly wasn’t easy – having every product certified by Ecocert is never an easy or inexpensive task. But, having integrity with my brand is everything.” Her biggest piece of advice for anyone looking to start a brand? “Have a solid business plan and strategy. Know the market and do your research."

Kerr tells me, “Creating the range was never about making money. It's an honest and true passion project for me because I know applying toxic chemicals to our skin on a daily basis has enormous health risks."

Kerr’s passion really becomes apparent as she begins to speak with conviction: “I want people to be more aware of what they're putting on to their skin and the potential harm or risk those chemicals carry. Healthy skin is beautiful skin!” 

Back on set with our team – photographer Nick Hudson, celebrity stylist Jessica Paster, hair stylist David Keough and makeup artist Lisa Storey – there’s more than one comment made about Kerr’s skin. She is glowing. She looks happy.

Perched on the bed of her new guesthouse, dressed in a striped set by The Row, Kerr says, “Oops, Flynnie and I were down here yesterday eating popcorn on the bed,” as she picks the remnants off the sheets.

Our shoot wraps up once Kerr has to leave to pick up her son. As she hugs me goodbye, she reveals she’s been Snapchatting from set and sending her boyfriend Evan Spiegel photos from the shoot's different looks. “Look, he just made this one his new iPhone screensaver!” she shows me. Upon leaving her heavenly home, Kerr and I agree to regroup over the telephone a few days later.

Back in Sydney, I spend an hour talking with Kerr. As we speak, she tells me she's in the car on her way to LAX airport to shoot in Paris for one day and New York for three days. Obviously, Kerr is used to travelling long distances for short periods. “I’m only away for four days while Orlando has Flynn this week," she says.

As our follow up interview comes to close, Kerr apologises, “Sorry I have to go and run into my boyfriend’s office to give him a kiss before I catch my flight.” The day of our shoot it is revealed Kerr has purchased a new L.A. home with her boyfriend, [Evan] Spiegel. And with that, I’m given a much clearer understanding of “Randa May” – the woman who just so happens to be a supermodel from country Australia but is first and foremost a hard-working mother, partner and daughter. Here’s to you, Ms. Kerr. 

Source: grittypretty.com