Bellazon

Food

Joe > Average

Today I gave it a try to another kind of bread:

This is Chile's most popular variety; you could say it's our "national bread". Ironically enough, it's called (where I come from, in Santiago it's called differently) "pan francés" = "French Bread" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

This was my first try at this one and I'm really happy with the result :chicken:

IMG_7384.thumb.jpeg.8f19efea1e18641df00f56be2f28cb11.jpegIMG_7383.thumb.jpeg.4ccc68d66dee5d14f4469b837da5f97f.jpeg

On 4/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, Cult Icon said:

For the first time in many years, I baked 4 different box cakes.

Red Velvet, Orange, Butter, and Strawberry.

The Red Velvet was overall the best.  Then Orange and Butter.  Strawberry was the weakest one.   All I do is add 1 additional egg and use unsalted butter instead of oil.

That is similar to my cake mix add ins. 

Use milk in place of water, use melted butter/ margarine instead of the oil, and add an extra egg. 
Time your mixing to the what it says, like 2minutes with an electric mixer.

Everything else is the same. Same cooking times, etc. 

Red velvet is a very good one. 

@Matt! come and get it............. jalapeno and serrano peppers. :nicole:

Jalapenos weren't hot, but the serranos had some really nice nice heat.

Pork and chicken fajitas with grilled bell, jalapeno, and serrano peppers .

20200504_160409.thumb.jpg.606f2e1cff7ab33df33cb2f59a55a9ac.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 4:04 AM, CandleVixen said:

That is similar to my cake mix add ins. 

Use milk in place of water, use melted butter/ margarine instead of the oil, and add an extra egg. 
Time your mixing to the what it says, like 2minutes with an electric mixer.

Everything else is the same. Same cooking times, etc. 

Red velvet is a very good one. 

Does it seem like Duncan Hines really needs less eggs and butter compared to Betty Crocker?  what are your favorite boxes?  I am getting the feeling that Duncan Hines has a softer and fluffier texture but overall inferior to Betty Crocker.  I will do 2 more DH mixes today.

I have been experimenting with the cake boxes (bought 8 more) and trying to see what is good and what is not.

Betty Crocker Red Velvet: 4.5 out of 5 stars- very good red velvet, 4 eggs

Pillsbury Yellow Cake:  5 out of 5 stars- great yellow cake, -probably needs only 3 eggs (due to being a bit too eggy) indistinguishable from expensive yellow cake.

Duncan Hines Orange- 4.5 out of 5 stars- very good Orange cake, probably needs only 3 eggs (seemed a little bit too eggy).  I used a stick of butter (half cup).

--------------------------------------------------------

Betty Crocker Strawberry-  3.5 out of 5 stars- good when cooled down/chilled, sub-par when warm.  

Duncan Hines Lemon- 2.5 out of 5 stars- sub-par, chemical lemon taste, probably only needs 3 eggs and 1/3rd cup butter.

4 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Does it seem like Duncan Hines really needs less eggs and butter compared to Betty Crocker?  what are your favorite boxes?  I am getting the feeling that Duncan Hines has a softer and fluffier texture but overall inferior to Betty Crocker.  I will do 2 more DH mixes today.

To me, it really depends on the type of cake. 
Though I have noticed that the extra egg is balanced by milk and the melted butter. The key in my kitchen is to really use the mixer for at least the time suggested, ie: 2minutes. If you mix a bit longer it doesn’t seem to alter the fluffiness.
Sometimes I’ll be a rebel and go for Pillsbury! :D

Duncan Hines Spice cake:  2.5 out of 5- Decent flavor but it has a mild chemical aftertaste that mars the cake

Duncan Hines Pineapple cake: 3 out of 5 -  Good pineapple flavor but a slight chemical aftertaste mars it 

On 4/30/2020 at 10:05 AM, Stromboli1 said:

@Cult Icon

Pork loin recipe:

Season all sides of the pork loin with salt and pepper. Then sear it on all sides

Put the pork loin in a crock pot or similar cooking vessel and fill with water 3/4 of the way up the loin. Then do low and slow for 8 hours. Also you can cut up an onion into chunks, any type of potatoes you like cut into smaller pieces unless you get baby potatoes, and any other vegetable you want to put in with the pork loin.

When the pork loin is done take it out to let it cool down with the other items and cover for 20 minutes. The reason for this is so the pork loin doesn't shred when you cut it.

Lastly you can make a gravy with the pan drippings if you want and it's the perfect time to do so while the meat is cooling down.

Thanks for this.  It's weird for me to ask now that Pork and Beef prices are skyrocketing due to shortages.  I get tired of eating pork in the same way over and over again.   I found an old german cookbook with 600 recipes, will look into that.

I used some pork for dumplings and made some steaks and pork chops on the pan.  Still have a freezer row filled with pork.  I bought a case of supersized shrimp and fish recently.

On 5/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, CandleVixen said:

To me, it really depends on the type of cake. 
Though I have noticed that the extra egg is balanced by milk and the melted butter. The key in my kitchen is to really use the mixer for at least the time suggested, ie: 2minutes. If you mix a bit longer it doesn’t seem to alter the fluffiness.
Sometimes I’ll be a rebel and go for Pillsbury! :D

would you say that the fruit mixes need less eggs/butter?

On 5/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, Cult Icon said:

Duncan Hines Spice cake:  2.5 out of 5- Decent flavor but it has a mild chemical aftertaste that mars the cake

Duncan Hines Pineapple cake: 3 out of 5 -  Good pineapple flavor but a slight chemical aftertaste mars it 

The spice cake could be the clove and allspice that is used. 

The pineapple cake is probably due to using extracts and flavoring. 

21 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

This is what it’s starting to look outside by the hog barns. Nobody wants to show up and work at the meatpacking plants or hog processing plants or chicken plants. After workers are getting sick.

That is a sad, sad pile of pig. I don’t want to think what it must smell like. 

59 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

That is a sad, sad pile of pig. I don’t want to think what it must smell like. 

Since the pork isn't going to the meat processing plants, it's getting made into dog food.