Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Thanks to everyone for latest pix/ interviews :flower: 

Akatosh

That is one of my favorite Leo stateside interviews. I would hope that one day Variety's Jenelle Riley gets Leo to sit down for another interview like that one 

Beyond that interview, my favorite ones are all of his Japanese interviews.  As , to  me, Leo is always his most relaxed /giving of himself in those interviews, and  I don't mean  " by giving of himself"  he shares any personal details of his life, but he seems to not  be as  guarded /bored/  robotic as he comes off  to me in most US movie promo interviews 

I had so hoped that Once would have a premiere in Japan 

3 hours ago, SexyLeo91 said:

Thanks everyone for the pics, clips and interview!  The photos are new to me :wub:I love the way Leo tells a story because he acts it out with his hands, gestures he makes with his face, his smile, so expressive :happy:, and it was also interesting with the story about Daniel Day-Lewis too. I won't give too much away if you haven't seen it, but watch it because it was a great interview!

Do u have the part when the interviewer mentions that she took zanax before the interview?

1 hour ago, oxford25 said:

Thanks to everyone for latest pix/ interviews :flower: 

Akatosh

That is one of my favorite Leo stateside interviews. I would hope that one day Variety's Jenelle Riley gets Leo to sit down for another interview like that one 

Beyond that interview, my favorite ones are all of his Japanese interviews.  As , to  me, Leo is always his most relaxed /giving of himself in those interviews, and  I don't mean  " by giving of himself"  he shares any personal details of his life, but he seems to not  be as  guarded /bored/  robotic as he comes off  to me in most US movie promo interviews 

I had so hoped that Once would have a premiere in Japan 

Yeah this interview to me is the best. And I agree about Japan maybe because they love him so much even though he’s loved by the entire world but even leo said that the japanese fans are his most loyal fans and also I’ve noticed that they are relatively calm when he attends premieres you don’t find a fan grabbing him or suddenly touching him maybe that’s why

1 hour ago, akatosh said:

I also remember the zanax part. 😄 It was funny. I wonder why they cut it out.

I hope we will see another interview like this again in the near future.

I knowww it was pretty funny but I remember that i have downloaded it but now I cannot seem to find it 😒

yeah and i hope that Jannelle Reilly would interview him in the near future 

LuckyGirl

As to my comment about Leo , at least to me , giving more of himself in Japanese interviews.  For me it isn't about the fans , for as you have said , he has loyal fans all over the world, and in recent years , be it Stateside , Europe , Japan,  I've never noticed fans being overly aggressive with him in any way  at premieres, etc .  I have  seen on video some incidents of over zealous autograph collectors  interfering with legit fans interacting with him, but I've never seen a fan being too aggressive with him as they  try to obtain a picture or autograph 

To me , and again, this is just my perception of Leo in recent interviews since the time of Gatsby,  I feel that Leo goes into these interviews with 5 replies memorized and just keeps repeating them, like  a well programmed robot , over and over .  I have watched interviews where the interviewer ask a question , and Leo's reply has absolutely nothing to do with asked question, he just replies with one of his  5 memorized replies.   He comes off as if he is not even truly 'listening' to the interviewer, he is just waiting for him/her  to stop talking, and then replies with rehearsed reply . The only variance I notice is sometimes , his far  less robotic costars , be it Jonah, Tom, or Brad say something that results in a honest/unscripted reaction from him . 

And, yes, I well know that for all movie promotional tours , stars might have to give 15 interviews in a row , but , at least to me, his costars put forth a lot more effort than he does to come across as 'spontaneous’ versus ' scripted 

Whereas , when I watch him in Japanese interviews, he always seems to be actually 'listening' to their questions / he seems 'engaged' in the interview versus just spouting off rehearsed replies.  

He doesn't seem to have any problem when they ask him to do/try things that have nothing to do with the  movie /role he has come to promote .

Again, just my perception  :) 

15 hours ago, oxford25 said:

LuckyGirl

As to my comment about Leo , at least to me , giving more of himself in Japanese interviews.  For me it isn't about the fans , for as you have said , he has loyal fans all over the world, and in recent years , be it Stateside , Europe , Japan,  I've never noticed fans being overly aggressive with him in any way  at premieres, etc .  I have  seen on video some incidents of over zealous autograph collectors  interfering with legit fans interacting with him, but I've never seen a fan being too aggressive with him as they  try to obtain a picture or autograph 

To me , and again, this is just my perception of Leo in recent interviews since the time of Gatsby,  I feel that Leo goes into these interviews with 5 replies memorized and just keeps repeating them, like  a well programmed robot , over and over .  I have watched interviews where the interviewer ask a question , and Leo's reply has absolutely nothing to do with asked question, he just replies with one of his  5 memorized replies.   He comes off as if he is not even truly 'listening' to the interviewer, he is just waiting for him/her  to stop talking, and then replies with rehearsed reply . The only variance I notice is sometimes , his far  less robotic costars , be it Jonah, Tom, or Brad say something that results in a honest/unscripted reaction from him . 

And, yes, I well know that for all movie promotional tours , stars might have to give 15 interviews in a row , but , at least to me, his costars put forth a lot more effort than he does to come across as 'spontaneous’ versus ' scripted 

Whereas , when I watch him in Japanese interviews, he always seems to be actually 'listening' to their questions / he seems 'engaged' in the interview versus just spouting off rehearsed replies.  

He doesn't seem to have any problem when they ask him to do/try things that have nothing to do with the  movie /role he has come to promote .

Again, just my perception  :) 

Agree with you about the fans being loyal and not aggressive but i think which is as you just said it’s only my perception maybe in Japan the number of autogragh collecters is less or maybe they are less aggressive so ee don’t see fans are being pushed and someone falls maybe that’s my guess idk but of course. I’m not blaming certain fans

in terms of his scripted answers i think some interviewers don’t work hard enough to come up with new different questions for example in all of his scorsese movie promo in every other interview he gets asked “ what is about working with scorsese” or “ what did you learn from him” and in every movie interview he gets asked “ what drew you to this movie “ so to me i think ofc he’s gonna give the same answers and keep in mind that he’s very cutious  in terms of not wanting to get personal so he doesn’t want to to be very open ao the interviewers don’t take it as a way to get very personal questions and I really noticed that during Gatsby promo that the interviewers tried to relate Gatsby to him so he compare himself to Gatsby maybe that’s why he gave “scripted answers” 

In terms of other costars, with brad i noticed the samething during the interviews of OUATIH meaning that he gave similar answers each time because they asked him the same questions.

but in japan and i notice also Germany they ask different questions so he gives different answers 

another example is the SAG 2014 interview with jenelle reily  and charlie rose interviews  he was really spontaneous and thoughtful because the questions were interesting and different that’s what I think anyway 

Lucky Girl

While , yes, I agree  that often the questions asked during a movie promo tour are often similar , but , at least to me, even when an  interviewer  asked a question that was a totally different take on their characters/filming,etc , Leo still replied with same rote answers . To me , I've noticed this not just in Stateside interviews, but he ones he gave at Cannes and in the European interviews we saw as well.  

And, personally, I don't find the Japanese interviewers' ask , in regard to movie /role related questions, any more different question than others ,  it is just to me , Leo puts forth more effort to make them feel he is truly listening to them/ is happy to be there ,etc,  

As to Leo /personal questions, , it is well known in regard to actors of the status that Leo and Brad are ,  even before they sit down for these movie promo interviews, their agents have already given all interviewers a list of which topics are off limit & if they should attempt to interject them into the interview will immediately cease , so , no, I don't , personally, feel his always  stitled   scripted replies, is because he is 'fearful' they may ask something about his personal life . 

Nor am I disappointed that they don't ask such type questions.

Yes, I agree many of Brad's replies were similiar, but to me , Brad  always tried to interject a little 'humor' into the moment to make interview more enjoyable for the interviewer , as well as, viewing audience.    

Yes, as stated above, I am a big fan of Variety interview, and, like you I always enjoyed the Charlie Rose interviews,  but , again, I feel that in both cases,  like with Japanese interviewers , as a viewer I  felt more a sense that Leo wanted to be there , was truly 'engaged' in the conversation versus just completing  a promo obligation that he agreed to in his contract 

And  , last but not least,   I certainly agree that all any of us are doing are stating how Leo comes off to us in  recent press  interviews,  and as always, our perceptions to same interviews can be totally different 👍

An interesting old article / interview with Leo 

A giant, hairy man is pushing Leonardo DiCaprio on a cart through a supermarket, and no one is looking. I'm expecting European paparazzi, women with Sharpies offering their d�colletage, or at least furtive glances from other shoppers. Nothing. Not even when DiCaprio, wearing a cap and glasses, gets off the cart and awkwardly lifts it over a cereal-aisle blockade. You see, dawg. I just lifted that cart, dude, he says loudly, bragging about the effects of his new weight-lifting regimen. But nothing happens at the West Hollywood Ralphs branch besides deliberation in the brownie-mix aisle over Ghirardelli's, Hershey's and Duncan Hines'. And a good deal of time spent choosing steaks. And quite a few minutes debating the merits of ginger-ale brands. And waffle mixes. And protein bars. DiCaprio is the Hamlet of Ralphs. DiCaprio is indecisive about almost everything, including his willingness to shop for food with a reporter. He vetoed taking me to the dentist, thinking it would be too embarrassing. Working out with his personal trainer would display too much complaining. His house in the Hollywood Hills is out. And he's certainly not going to a bar, considering he wants to lose the party-boy image. Hey, we can go to the movies because, you know, I do movies, he jokes, trying to deconstruct the whole process.

A visit with Leonardo DiCaprio as he makes his new movie, The Beach, and it makes waves (3/1/99)

Stuart Little director Rob Minkoff on working with a talking rodent (2/7/00)

Zhang Yimou says working with young amateur actors suits him perfectly (1/10/00)

Hong Kong superstar Chow Yun-fat, fresh from filming Anna and the King, says working in front of the camera keeps him alive (12/27/99)

In the martial-arts drama Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Ang Lee and a cast of big stars struggle with moviemaking on the mainland (11/29/99)

Spying a Ralphs Club discount card peeking from his wallet, I express deep skepticism that he actually uses it. DiCaprio insists he's saved more than $40 with the card but shies away from my challenge to go shopping. It seems a little forced, like I'm saying, 'Hey, I'm everyguy. I go to Ralphs too.' He pictures himself in print trying to explain it: I go to Ralphs often. Do I get recognized? Once in a while. But the groceries still need to be in my home, so I persevere. I offer to pay for all his groceries in a once-off, anything-goes, no-time-limit Supermarket Sweep run. Even though he made $20 million for his new movie, The Beach, DiCaprio finds this impossible to refuse. Still, he is hyper-aware of how this will play out in print: That should be the title of the piece: 'Leonardo DiCaprio: What's His Beef?' And you'll base the whole article on the type of beef I choose. Skirt steak: the thinnest, unmanliest, most wussy, soft meat you could buy, he says.

Only smart guys think this much--it's the John Rockers who speak openly to reporters--and for a guy who left school at 16 to be in movies, DiCaprio is pretty bright. He's also so self-aware, it's paralyzing.

It took him an awfully long time to choose The Beach, the first movie he decided to do since Titanic was released. After starring in the biggest movie in history, DiCaprio had his pick of scripts. He read more than 100 and optioned six, but couldn't decide which one to do. I could tell after reading the script with him that he'd do it, but it took more than a month for a definite yes, says Beach director Danny Boyle. He does kind of hem and haw. Once he started making the film, DiCaprio spent hours reshooting scenes and redubbing voice-overs. I would do a movie for a year if I could, and do as many takes as I can, he says. I'm indecisive. It isn't my strongest character trait. Even the decision to star in Titanic took a long time. Baz Luhrmann, the director of Romeo + Juliet, finally convinced him that a big-budget film offered its own kind of acting risk. The thing he hates most in life is making a decision, says Luhrmann. It's a great pain to get Leo to commit to anything in life, particularly a role.

Or an interview. After a year of back-and-forth, DiCaprio finally agreed to meet at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 30, during what people tell me was the best fourth quarter of any Super Bowl in history. I don't even know who was playing today, he admits. St. Louis and some weird other team that beat somebody else that was supposed to get in the Super Bowl. DiCaprio isn't as in touch with American culture as American culture is with him. The son of a legal secretary and a hippie underground-comic-book artist, both retired, DiCaprio still thinks of himself as an edgy indie actor, not the Tiger Beat cover boy. I have no connection with me during that whole Titanic phenomenon and what my face became around the world. Which is good. Otherwise, he might beat himself up.
Although it's got to hurt deep inside, DiCaprio says he's at peace with being usurped by the Backstreet Boys. I'll never reach that state of popularity again, and I don't expect to, he says. It's not something I'm going to try to achieve either. Instead, he has spent his post-Titanic life avoiding interviews. I feel so uncomfortable doing publicity, he says, and then proves it by spending the rest of the evening chewing on mint Stim-u-dent toothpicks, biting his nails, cracking his knuckles and loudly sucking in wallops of air through his teeth and generally becoming a human beat box. A long-term career has a lot to do with people not understanding who you are. There are always going to be new facets of you as a human being, and I want to be able to release them bit by bit. I'm acting like I'm some sort of complex riddle, he says, fearing he's sounding too pompous. But the truth is, I don't want to let everyone know who I am and what I'm thinking.

Especially me. He won't talk about his dating life. In fact, in figuring out what he wants to talk about, DiCaprio says, I want to be as dry and drab and as boring as possible. And although always nice, he does a remarkable job at this, listing, at one point, nearly 20 endangered species. The only other thing besides his dating that I can muster any interest in is what it's like to be crazy famous. Is winning the lottery paradise for you? Is fame your paradise? Is that going to cleanse you of all your demons? he asks. Paradise to me is a false concept. You learn that happiness is something that comes in fleeting moments, in little moments when you least expect it.

Yes, that old interview pretty much summarizes what Leo really is, a walking puzzle. And Leo himself said in this interview he doesn't want people to know who he really is. Well, I can certainly say that he's doing a damn good job, after following him for 20 years and I still don't know his true self and a LOT of times don't understand his behavior. 

But one thing is sure, doing interviews, press, promo, all this stuff is not his fave thing, but he have to do because is part of his job. 

2 hours ago, oxford25 said:

Lucky Girl

While , yes, I agree  that often the questions asked during a movie promo tour are often similar , but , at least to me, even when an  interviewer  asked a question that was a totally different take on their characters/filming,etc , Leo still replied with same rote answers . To me , I've noticed this not just in Stateside interviews, but he ones he gave at Cannes and in the European interviews we saw as well.  

And, personally, I don't find the Japanese interviewers' ask , in regard to movie /role related questions, any more different question than others ,  it is just to me , Leo puts forth more effort to make them feel he is truly listening to them/ is happy to be there ,etc,  

As to Leo /personal questions, , it is well known in regard to actors of the status that Leo and Brad are ,  even before they sit down for these movie promo interviews, their agents have already given all interviewers a list of which topics are off limit & if they should attempt to interject them into the interview will immediately cease , so , no, I don't , personally, feel his always  stitled   scripted replies, is because he is 'fearful' they may ask something about his personal life . 

Nor am I disappointed that they don't ask such type questions.

Yes, I agree many of Brad's replies were similiar, but to me , Brad  always tried to interject a little 'humor' into the moment to make interview more enjoyable for the interviewer , as well as, viewing audience.    

Yes, as stated above, I am a big fan of Variety interview, and, like you I always enjoyed the Charlie Rose interviews,  but , again, I feel that in both cases,  like with Japanese interviewers , as a viewer I  felt more a sense that Leo wanted to be there , was truly 'engaged' in the conversation versus just completing  a promo obligation that he agreed to in his contract 

And  , last but not least,   I certainly agree that all any of us are doing are stating how Leo comes off to us in  recent press  interviews,  and as always, our perceptions to same interviews can be totally different 👍

Well it is quite obvious that Leo seems really happy and engaged with Japanese interviewers but we never know why 

and i disagree with you about him giving similar answers when questions are different 

regarding giving interviewers a list of off-limits topics yes especially recently when don’t see reporters asking him questions about his relationships since 2010 but still there are some personal questions like “when are you gonna get married” interviewers are good at asking indirect questions about his personal life so even if his agent gave reporters a list there is still a chance of being asked a personal question so he still needs to try to avoid these topics when answering questions about the movie so they don’t relate it to him 

and yes there is more humor in brad’s answers’ than Leo’s but maybe that’s just a difference in personality even though we hear from many people that leo is fun and we get to see that side of him from time to time but it is pretty obvious that Leo is not very comfortable and loose as brad Leo is more reserved for lack of a better term maybe because he feels a certain amount of pressure and he gets nervous or due to the fact that he doesn’t like people to know everything about himself as he stated many time, in both cases it is totally understandable 

Since new Leo film news is very limited right now , and most Leo film related articles are about it being the 10 year anniversary of Inception 

I was curious as to how my fellow posters perceived the ending of the film 

Do you think Dom Cobb was in 'reality' at the end or still 'dreaming" ?   

6 minutes ago, oxford25 said:

Since new Leo film news is very limited right now , and most Leo film related articles are about it being the 10 year anniversary of Inception 

I'm an optimist and I think he's back in the real world with his kids :)

Thanks everyone for the posts! It was nice reading everyone's perspective on Leo's interviewing style. He's definitely enigmatic, which I like because he's a bit mysterious. I do however love when he really goes into a subject and talks about it; I can see his beautiful eyes sparkle.

I remember that Time interview. Bought the magazine and everything. Guess I was really excited at that time because it seemed like forever since Titanic at that point :D

Yes Jade that was a hot scene! All too brief, and I wouldn't have stopped him :wub6yh2cm:

24 minutes ago, oxford25 said:

Hmm, I think he woke back up and reunited with his kids:happy:

Akatosh & SexyLeo91

Tks for your replies :) 

Like the two of you, I believed he was in reality  because

1. For the personal reason that   I cared about his character, and thus I wanted  Cobb to have chance to reunite with his kids

2.  The children shown at the end were older than the ones he always saw in his previous dreams 

3.  Cobb always had his wedding ring on when he was in a dream sequence, and in the final moments I didn't see a ring on his left hand 

And on a side note,  I thought Leo looked so terrific in his designer suit in that final scene, that I wished I could have jumped through my multiplex large screen and run right towards him like his kids did  :p 

Nolan certainly created a film that has given moviegoers something to discuss & debate for years 👍