Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Some more Revenant reactions from those who saw it yesterday

submitted 15 minutes ago by hanni90

so last night i got to catch a screening of the revenant and i wanted to wait at least a day before i said anything to avoid the immediate after-movie jitters and excitement. with that said, the revenant is easy, by far and away, the most insane movie i have ever seen in terms of cinematography. chivo has easily cemented the oscar because what he did in this film is truly groundbreaking. i say it every time but i really don't know how he's going to top this. literally EVERY scene in the movie is gorgeous and immersive and, not to spoil anything, the scene in the trailer of leo fighting indians in the woods is one 10-15 (maybe longer?) minute tracking shot. it's probably the most epic thing i've ever seen.

as far as the story goes, it's pretty straightforward, but the entire movie is FUCKING INTENSE. my heart couldn't stop beating from beginning to end. the second trailer essentially gave away the story, though it didn't spoil it. the performances were amazing. tom hardy was incredible (easily an oscar nod, though i wish he had more scenes) and leo was incredible (easily an oscar nod - best leading performance so far, imo). the only critique i could see people having is the movie has very little dialogue. but for me personally it worked in favor of the movie because leo is forced to act with his body and facial expressions, and you're basically watching him trudge through the wilderness and survive.

i give the revenant an a+. imo, it was a far better movie (storywise, emotionally, cinematographically, directionally) than birdman. seriously, guys, the revenant lives up and beyond the hype. it's one of the most intense movies i've ever seen and the best looking film i've ever seen.

Daniel Crooke ‏@dangercrooke 1h1 hour ago

THE REVENANT: If nothing else, Leo gives a go-to grab-bag for any and all necessary .gifs to deploy during a frothing migraine hangover.

Daniel Crooke ‏@dangercrooke 1h1 hour ago

And as far as hangovers go, this one is pretty Oscar-worthy

Philip Fracassi ‏@PhilipFracassi 4h4 hours ago

Saw a sneak of THE REVENANT - Q&A w/ DiCaprio & Inarritu was great. Film unlike anything I've ever seen. Incredible

Fash

I have no idea of exact dates or which actors would attend, I'm just hoping the source of the LA screening information will soon post more information about future screenings /who will attend, for now , I have just seen people discussing that there will be East Coast screenings for press,etc

I think we can at least be sure they won't happen Thanksgiving Day or the day after, no one will attend as they'll all be out shopping :p

Barbie

Yes, I , too, have wondered , after the recent tragic Paris attacks, if Leo will attend the summit or not , since there no longer will have a huge climate march like they did in New York I%20dont%20know.gif

Hopefully Leo ends up getting a major/ popular North American magazine cover.... In the realm of say GQ, Esquire, Vanity Fair, Details, that sort of thing. For example, I don't consider this cowboy magazine anything major. Better than nothing though.

Exactly, my thoughts, fash. I mean, it's nice to see a cover... but you would think, damn, it's Leo, he needs to be in a MAJOR magazine cover.   :hehe:

Jordan Raup @jpraup

The Revenant: classical revenge/survival story buoyed by Lubezki's idyllic touch. Brutality swallows emotion, yet compelling in its excess.

Matt McGraw @MattMcGraw

THE REVENANT (B-): Beautiful but lacking, an existential story told without characters who think in those terms. #screenerbathroombreak

Ramin Setoodeh @RaminSetoodeh

'The Revenant' is a triumph, and could finally win Leonardo DiCaprio his Oscar.

Charles Thorp Verified account @charlesthorp

THE REVENANT is a brilliant mix of beauty and brutality. The action is raw and unflinching. It deserves Oscar talk; esp for behind the lens.

Tom Shone @Tom_Shone

THE REVENANT (A-): Inarritu and diCaprio reconstitute the Western as visceral survival epic, rich in astonishment and Mallickian metaphysics

Austin @AChavez621

Leo just sealed his Oscar

Kellvin Chavez @Latinoreview

WOW WOW WOW

Kellvin Chavez @Latinoreview

Alejandro G. Iñárritu's THE REVENANT is an AMAZING BRUTAL film and for sure Iñárritu will get Nom for Best Director.

Hopefully Leo ends up getting a major/ popular North American magazine cover.... In the realm of say GQ, Esquire, Vanity Fair, Details, that sort of thing. For example, I don't consider this cowboy magazine anything major. Better than nothing though.

Exactly, my thoughts, fash. I mean, it's nice to see a cover... but you would think, damn, it's Leo, he needs to be in a MAJOR magazine cover. :hehe:

:yes: Hopefully by next month we see him on a big cover, which would make more sense as it's closer to the release date. But who knows. All I know is that it's been 2 years since his last film, so it better happen. :hehe:

Instagram video:

https://instagram.com/p/-dWASFJmhW/

Scott Feinberg @ScottFeinberg

THE REVENANT: Chivo will win 3rd in row, Leo probably wins 1st and pic is too close to call -- gorgeous but gruesome, with several walkouts.

Leo: "To tell you the truth, it's all a beautiful blur to me... was very much like performing theater... unhumorous SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE"

Leo: "It becomes like independent filmmaking" working with AGI and Chivo.

Leo: "This was the most difficult film that I think any of us have done."

Kristopher Tapley @kristapley

The craft of "The Revenant" is beyond reproach, which really makes me wish it was in service of something more profound on the page.

Sasha Stone @AwardsDaily

Can't give a quick take on Revenant. Need time to process. Beautifully filmed. Showcase for Leo. Violent.

Sasha Stone @AwardsDaily

Leo is such a gracious person. A climate warrior. And he might finally be winning an Oscar with The Revenant.

Gregory Ellwood @TheGregoryE

The Revenant features some of the most magnificent shots I've ever seen on film. Bravo Chivo and Alejandro. #oscars

DiCaprio is incredible in The Revenant. Tom Hardy I'd good but slightly one note. #oscars

The Revenant should land a best picture nod for its artistic achievement but not enough emotion to win. #oscars

Stuart Oldham @s_oldham

Leo, with more grunts than actual words in "The Revenant," likened his performance to a silent film.

Scott Mantz @MovieMantz

Blown away by #TheRevenant! Breathtaking, visceral, mesmerizing! A work of art! #LeonardoDiCaprio is sensational!

Kyle Buchanan @kylebuchanan

THE REVENANT is physically persuasive, emotionally remote, Malick with machetes

Anne Thompson @akstanwyck

The Revenant is very Malick with minimal dialogue, dreamy voiceovers, and stunning Lubezki visuals plus Sakamoto score. Actors superb.

Anne Thompson @akstanwyck

The biggest applause was for Lubezki and DiCaprio. Mix of Academy and press. Elvis Mitchell moderates large panel.

Hollywood Elsewhere @wellshwood

Beautiful, brutal, immersive, steeped in icy brutality, mad delirium, artful oppression…an ordeal of blood, agony, survival, snow, wounds.

“The Revenant” is an experience I’ve never had before…totally it’s own beast. This is not a movie for sissies. A friend often hid her eyes.

Great cinema can feel hard, difficult, awesome, almost too much. But it always sticks with you. I’m presuming “The Revenant” will do this.

Jenelle Riley @jenelleriley

Every actor in The Revenant is excellent. But I think Domhnall Gleeson impressed me the most.

^Seriously, I've got shivers while reading those reviews :ddr: :dance:

Leonardo DiCaprio's 'The Revenant' Debuts: Brutal, Gory, Oscar-Winning? (Analysis)

THR's awards analyst offers his take on the prospects of Alejandro G. Inarritu's vehicle for Leonardo DiCaprio following its big unveiling.

There is one less awards season mystery tonight, as The Revenant — Alejandro G. Inarritu's highly-anticipated follow-up to Birdman, the film that brought him three Oscars at the most recent Academy Awards — finally was unveiled.

The epic period piece drama, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, screened on Monday night for an audience of awards voters and tastemakers at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills, and its filmmakers undoubtedly hope it will again be a topic of discussion at that venue on Jan. 14 when Oscar nominations are announced there.

But is the film the Oscar force many expected it would be before they saw it?

Reviews have been embargoed until Dec. 1, but the film — which is about a fur trapper, left nearly for dead after a couple of vicious attacks by both men and beast, who then embarks on a quest for both survival and revenge — is already provoking strong reactions, many pro but some con. It is long (running more than two-and-a-half hours), gorgeous and gruesome (several people walked out throughout the movie, apparently unable to take the gore). And while many critics are likely to love it, it is decidedly not everyone's cup of tea.

Inarritu's new film has some of the look of Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life, with its use of natural light, and Inarritu's own Birdman, with its long takes. (Emmanuel Lubezki shot both those earlier films and Revenant.) It also has some of the texture of True Grit (with its furs and animals and horses and snow); the vengeance-centric theme of Django Unchained (both films' protagonists are driven to survive by a desire to settle scores with the murderer of a loved one) and the man vs. nature dynamic of The Grey (both films involve desperate fights to survive and refusals to die in the face of horrific weather conditions and encounters with animals).

There are two things that many of the first viewers of The Revenant seem to agree about, judging from tweets and emails sent following Monday's screening and others scheduled around it over the last 48 hours...

(1) DiCaprio — who has received four acting noms over the course of his career, but never has won — couldn't have done a better job and looks like the man to beat in the best actor race. His almost silent performance, with its incredible physical demands, is the sort Clint Eastwood might have given if he had DiCaprio's drive and discipline as a young man. "This was the most difficult film that I think any of us have done," DiCaprio said during a post-screening Q&A, and no one doubted his sincerity. "It was like rock climbing without a rope," Inarritu added. All other serious hopefuls in the best actor race have now shown their hand, and it seems to me that only the similarly Oscar-less Will Smith (Concussion) and Johnny Depp (Black Mass) could pose any real threat to DiCaprio, who is less adept at gladhanding than Smith, if not Depp.

(2) Lubezki — who is coming off of back-to-back best cinematography Oscars, for Gravity and Birdman — is, in all likelihood, going to become the first lenser in history to win three consecutive Oscars. (Three others also won two in a row.) His work on this film, which ranges from silhouetted figures and vast landscapes to riveting battle scenes and 360-degree shots, is showy in the very best sense of the word, and certain to be remembered by his peers (who determine nominees), and probably the larger Academy (which picks winners oblivious to the name of the D.P., which does not appear on the ballot, and therefore will not be inclined, as perhaps they should be, to spread around their love and celebrate, say, Oscar-less Roger Deakins for his work on Sicario).

But there are already widely diverging opinions as to whether or not the film itself will click with Academy members. I heard from a few right after the screening ended. One wrote to me, "Disappointed with The Revenant. There is no 'there' there. Long. Brutal. No clear eco message. Violent and pointless. Revenge in the wilderness." Another opined, "An absolute masterpiece. Oscars all around." My personal hunch, based not on anecdotal evidence, but on what the Academy historically has and hasn't gone for, is that the film is a slam-dunk for a best picture nomination, with a very real possibility of winning (it's not entirely dissimilar from past winners Dances with Wolves and Braveheart).

Can anything beat it? Sure. I think The Martian is best poised to do so: that film, which is a Fox release just like The Revenant, is fun and a smash-hit at the box-office, two adjectives unlikely to be employed in descriptions of Inarritu's film — plus I think voters will want to give Martian helmer Ridley Scott his first best director Oscar before giving Inarritu a second, and, working backwards, are therefore likelier to back Scott's film. But there are certainly other plausible possibilities, too. Perhaps Joy or The Hateful Eight, which have yet to receive their big unveilings. Perhaps Spotlight, propelled by affection from the actors' branch for its incomparable ensemble. Or perhaps an out-of-left-field pick like Straight Outta Compton or The Danish Girl, which are actually about issues that people are dealing with and talking about in the real world today.

Source

Two more from oscar screening ;)

And from BAFTA screening.

baftascreening1.jpg

BAFTA screening of The Revenant at Arclight Hollywood. Apocalypto meets Dances With Wolves on Steroids. You can never have a bad day again after seeing what frontiersman Hugh Glass (DiCaprio) goes through in this picture. Q&A just ended with director Alejandro González Iñárritu and actors Leo DiCaprio and Will Poulter. Leo talked about the impact climate change had on the production. Represent! The film was shot incredibly by Chivo (Emmanuel Lubezki) and from start to finish, it was, in a word - intense.

Source

baftascreening2.jpg

Source

oscarscreening6.jpg

Source

Rochelle Rose ?@Rockinrosh
.@RevenantMovie Triumphant! #Inarritu made The Great American movie! @LeoDiCaprio deserves the #Oscar/#SAG/ #BAFTA