Bellazon

Football

goose

Friends, I need your assistance. I need information regarding overseas coverage of the Premiership; whatever country you're in, whatever you can give me. Ideally though, information/opinions about the pundits, presenters, commentators is what I'd be looking for. The purpose of which is for a project that will no doubt end up not happening (not a book, or anything exciting, I assure you).

PM me anything useful, should you feel inclined.

In Belgium, live games are part of the Prime sports package. The highlights can be viewed on the BBC. We think most of your pundits are rubbish, but a special mention should go out to Robbie Earle, Andy Townsend, Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson for standing out even amongst a crappy crop of punditry. ;)

You get the Match of the Day in Belgium? Did not know that. You're so right about Robbie Earle but in my eyes Andy Townsend is a king among men, not for his punditry, but because he was Villa captain when I was a boy and having met him I can confirm his all-round decency. Also, he was the front man for ITV's greatest ever idea, The Tactics Truck. Who will ever forget watching Ugo Ehiogu, having just made his debut for Middlesboro in a 0-4 defeat against Arsenal, get schooled by his ex-teammate on his man marking, whilst perched in a ridiculously small confined space.

What about World Cup coverage? Which big guns do Belgian TV bring in to captivate the home audience?

I hope Ed weighs in on this, he probably knows who Jamie Yeo is.

That was one of the most disgusting displays of anti-football I've witnessed in recent years. Chelsea, one of the biggest clubs in the world, comes to the Camp Nou to park the bus. They had 8-9 players in front of their own goal for 90% of the game. Tactics unworthy of Guus. Even Mourinho didn't play this cautious, even in such crucial games. All they were interested in was cynically killing the game.

Didn't watch it but if you can out-defend Mourinho, then that's quite a feat (Rafa excluded)! I guess Guus lied when he promised us a breath-taking match full of attack and flair. Surprise surprise :cain:

And who else is concerned about Guus' mental health when he talks about winning the games he plays in his head? As a psychologist (in training) I'd be worried if he played games in his head and lost. My professional recommendation would be to get a PS3, stat!

And Freddy, your brilliance irradiates my screen ;)

In Australia we normally get games live on cable, and we get all the games. When they are played at the same time, there is a "Viewers Choice" button that lets us view whichever game we want and flick between games. Don't even talk to me about pundits in Aust because they are crap.

I normally download matches so I hear all the American, English, Polish, Russian, German, Dutch, Chinese and Australian commentary. Well, technically I have them available to be heard, but I don't actually hear them because I mute the games when I watch them unless I want to hear the atmosphere at the grounds.

And who the fudge is Jamie Yeo?

Just take heart from the fact that in the second leg, there'll be a point where Chelsea actually do need to try and score. ;)

I predict them to score one goal early in the second leg and then revert back to their 9-0-1 formation.

What I do find funny is how people are puzzled by the fact that Barca were unable to break down their defense. Erm... A team of amateurs like Andorra frequently gets results against footballing nations using the bunker ball tactic, off course professionals will be able to do the same!

It was depressing. Not watching Manure-Arsenal tonight, instead going to the Wolverine movie. :)

Wolverine or Manyoo-Arsenal. Either way you won't be impressed. Unless you like Hugh Jackman. Do you like Hugh Jackman, Herve?

Do you? :|

I predict them to score one goal early in the second leg and then revert back to their 9-0-1 formation.

And knowing Chelsea they'll probably get that one important goal too <_<

What I do find funny is how people are puzzled by the fact that Barca were unable to break down their defense. Erm... A team of amateurs like Andorra frequently gets results against footballing nations using the bunker ball tactic, off course professionals will be able to do the same!

Did you watch England vs Andorra? Obviously, Barca need Gerrard! :ddr:

Of course, that means you'd have to ask Essien to take him back out of his pocket :ermm:

And Freddy, your brilliance irradiates my screen ;)

In Australia we normally get games live on cable, and we get all the games. When they are played at the same time, there is a "Viewers Choice" button that lets us view whichever game we want and flick between games. Don't even talk to me about pundits in Aust because they are crap.

I normally download matches so I hear all the American, English, Polish, Russian, German, Dutch, Chinese and Australian commentary. Well, technically I have them available to be heard, but I don't actually hear them because I mute the games when I watch them unless I want to hear the atmosphere at the grounds.

And who the fudge is Jamie Yeo?

Please name the guilty pundits, Ed!

Chinese commentary is so boring, they make the whole thing seem like a chore. Then they go back to the studio and two really tired looking middle-aged dudes, WHO'VE NEVER PLAYED FOOTBALL IN THEIR LIVES, talk about the virtues of zonal marking or whatever.

Jamie Yeo co-hosts Nokia Football Crazy on ESPN Asia, with some blokey Australian. Its one of those 'footytainment' programs, and is therefore almost entirely an obnoxious waste of time. The redeeming feature is Yeo, who while lacking knowledge, is as cute as a button. She even keeps a blog, which is so unbelievably candid that you find out nuggets of information you probably didn't need to know, including how she first masturbated at the age of 6 (yes, really).

imgjamie02.jpg

Wait, did Ed say he was a shrink in waiting? Has he been studying our behaviour all this time? gfjhgghmmhm

My theory is that his red_ed persona is the basis for his Ph.d thesis.

In my case, he's studying 20-something men whose football teams fate strangely shadows their love life: lots of unfulfilled promise.

I better be credited in the bibliography properly!

For what its worth, I always imagined Ed looking like the actor Bradley Cooper, and SS basically being Rob Gordon from High Fidelity.

That is the single coolest thing I've ever read about myself on here! High Fidelity is one of my all-time favorite books. :)