Bellazon

My goodness, what are you thinking about now??? ( No politics version )

Cult Icon

I have 7-10 pounds I'd like to lose but have been struggling to be disciplined for weeks.  My exercise is 100% disciplined but my eating has often been too forgetful of this goal.  Very often I have a failed diet day just because of social eating.  I lack the iron will I had in my 20s.

@Enrico_sw  From the TV forum, what do you think of the Germans in WW2?  

I read about the suffering of French civilians in Normandy, a great many lost their villages/towns/cities and homes or were killed/injured by bombs, cross fire, and artillery.

Have you seen the movie Tombstone?

7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  From the TV forum, what do you think of the Germans in WW2? 

Organized army, with very innovative technologies and views on warfare. They were ill intended and promoted hateful visions, but their propaganda managed to keep their spirit high. Goebbels did a "great" job (from their perspective) of indoctrinating the population, soldiers, etc. Arrogance is a pretty good way of manipulating people.

I read about the suffering of French civilians in Normandy, a great many lost their villages/towns/cities and homes or were killed/injured by bombs, cross fire, and artillery.

The French army was considered to be the best in the world before WW2. It turned out to be very wrong. We weren't beaten by the Germans, we beat ourselves. Lack of spirit, old views on warfare self-sabotaged the army, but the worst of the worst was Pacifism. Pacifism was everywhere (especially in the military staff - mostly the higher ups). Pacifism is the best recipe for losing.

People kept some high spirit, which is what brought the resistance, but our country took the biggest blow of its History in 1940.

In the end, Spirit is the most important thing. That's how the Russians crushed the Germans. The US army in 2021 has low spirit, its propaganda and doctrines are a joke. I hope you won't be in a war soon, cause you'll be crushed.

Have you seen the movie Tombstone?

Yup, great Western movie.:heythere:

20 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

People kept some high spirit, which is what brought the resistance, but our country took the biggest blow of its History in 1940.

Yup, great Western movie.:heythere:

Yea that movie has the best cast I've ever seen for a Western.   I'm really enjoying the meme-worthy scenes with Doc Holiday.  On youtube there are a lot of fans saying that he should have been nominated, or won an academy award for the role.  The only odd thing about it to me, however, is how well dressed everyone is. Too well dressed to be real.

It is pretty nuts that some of the Allied bombing, in support of ground troops- besides raising cities and villages (like Caen) killed more French civilians than German soldiers.  I read a lot of detailed personal accounts of French families and civilians hiding and suffering while being trapped in the battlezone (eg. Their village suddenly became a battlefield and so forth & demolished).  

what is your favorite Western?

I like Tombstone, Unforgiven, and the Outlaw Josey Wales

3 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Yea that movie has the best cast I've ever seen for a Western.   I'm really enjoying the meme-worthy scenes with Doc Holiday.  On youtube there are a lot of fans saying that he should have been nominated, or won an academy award for the role.  The only odd thing about it to me, however, is how well dressed everyone is. Too well dressed to be real.

It is pretty nuts that some of the Allied bombing, in support of ground troops- besides raising cities and villages (like Caen) killed more French civilians than German soldiers.  I read a lot of detailed personal accounts of French families and civilians hiding and suffering while being trapped in the battlezone (eg. Their village suddenly became a battlefield and so forth & demolished).  

what is your favorite Western?

I like Tombstone, Unforgiven, and the Outlaw Josey Wales

I like Spaghetti Westerns like : A Fistful of Dynamite, the good, the bad, the ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, My name is Nobody, etc.

After being mentally clear all her life, my grandmother, at age 91/92 has suddenly been exhibiting the early stages of dementia/alzheimer's.  She alternates being mentally clear and socially competent to being slow in reaction/confused, to periods, sometimes lasting many hours of delusion.  In these deluded periods she sees people who aren't there.  And yesterday I heard that besides seeing a stranger in her house she got angry at a bunch of personal traumas from her youth, literally 60 years ago.

In seeing how my grandfather died, it comes to me that physical and mental disintegration can come suddenly and without any buildup.  It's like a light switches off.  My grandfather showed no great signs of physical decline until 1-2 years prior to his death.

On 7/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, Enrico_sw said:

I like Spaghetti Westerns like : A Fistful of Dynamite, the good, the bad, the ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, My name is Nobody, etc.

Clint Eastwood is one of the coolest actors ever, besides being a good filmmaker too.

OU isn't going to go into the SEC and win, Texas................ :rofl:.

Shall wonder if the paydays shall be worth 3-5 place in the SEC West.

Hope Texas falls flat on their face due to the smugness and uppity behavior of their administration, fans, boosters, etc.

I rewatched P & P 2005 yesterday after maybe 13, 14 years.  

It is excellently made,  and Keira is extremely attractive here.  I think I will watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLegcBKdUalieRBS9mOiOHBD7J2LAkrqwN

The movie hits me a lot differently than it did back then.  This movie has sentimental value for me as my first love at the time compared me to her "Mr. Darcy".  I didn't understand what she meant until now.  I think she was referring to the prideful aspects, and my sense of propriety & standards to live up to.  These things have gradually fallen away to the point where I am no longer the same person that I was back then.

Also, my own feelings of watching the movie is that the story of P & P is very much a romance from a woman's mind rather than reality/truth.  It is fascinating as this story is so beloved by the world and for so long as to be timeless.  Because it communicates the essential truths about the female heart.

Criticism:  If Mr. Darcy was average in physical apperance and average in prospects instead of a billionaire, his character would have greatly reduced appeal.  In many ways the movie is unrealistic as Elizabeth Bennet keeps on rejecting him due to perceived character defects while she is sharing a bedroom with her sister.  Only an extraordinarily stubborn and honorable woman would do this to the equivalent of $XXX millionaire.  This is highly unlikely in real life.

So a Mr. Darcy with a middle-class living and 6 out of 10 looks would have greatly reduced power to positively influence the lives of others, and thus fail to win Liz Bennet's heart in the latter acts of the story.  Instead his excessive sense of pride/propreity, social awkwardness, introversion, and dour personality would be magnified in scale.  His "goodness" would shrink accordingly.   I doubt that this is attractive.  

From Mr. Darcy's perspective there is inadequate consideration that he is pursuing a woman of low social standing (from a family probalby 50 times poorer than himself) and great height of social obstacles/pressure he would have to overcome.  Basically he likes her not for her passable but unremakable looks (6 out of 10) but her honorable character, her goodness, her cleverness and her wit.   

So Mr. Darcey becomes obessed with her person due to these intellectual/personality characteristics, which overwhelms all other considerations.  Not realistic at all, and unlikely in real life.  There are surely other women like Liz Bennet that are of the same social level and are better looking than her.   In a way this aspect of the story speaks to women's desire to improve their social standing even though they lack the tools to do so.  By writing a story where a woman's intellect and character wins the most eliable bachelor in the land this provides catharsis for improbable and lost dreams, deeply held by her readers (and film watchers).

Finally the use of Keira K as Liz Bennet is interesting on its own.  I find myself falling for her character, due to Keira's excellent acting and top tier beauty.  The script of this film is highly modernized so characters act in ways that they would have done so at the time.   However if she was a 6 out of 10 in looks, and acted less modernly  I think my emotional reaction would be significantly less, maybe to the point of indifference.  The 1995 BBC P &P miniseries is considered the best P &P production, and the most faithful to the book.  However, instead of using charistmatic actors with modernized sensibilities the BBC production uses plain looking or downright ugly British actors.  The Liz Bennet in the film is considered by many to be the most accurate one, and her looks are a 6 out of 10.  I am completely indifferent to her when I see her play Liz Bennet.

+ The drama of Jane Bennet- seems to be intentionally inserted by Austen as a foil to Lizzy.  Jane Bennet is the "beauty of the household", "beauty of the county" and marries rich, a traditional means of social mobility.  However the none-beautiful Lizzy marries even higher and richer, due to her personality and not due to her looks.

I've spent the last 2 weeks watching Korean horror movies/series. In Korean with French subtitles.

I am having fun.

last.thumb.webp.4804646c3e0fbe1007e0cfb123453f84.webp

Really good. First "zombies" (more like infected peoples like in World war Z) movies that made me cry at the end. That little girl ❤️:hug:

Sweet home  on Netflix. Weird. The Specials effects are lol, but it's from a manga, so it's understandable they kept this graphic novel look. It's a must-see!

Not zombies tho. Demons ?

@Prettyphile Are you watching horror movies from other countries ? I think i've seen everything from the US/Canada. I need to broaden my horizons and Korea is a perfect start !

7 minutes ago, frenchkiki said:

I've spent the last 2 weeks watching Korean horror movies/series. In Korean with French subtitles.

I am having fun.

last.thumb.webp.4804646c3e0fbe1007e0cfb123453f84.webp

Really good. First "zombies" (more like infected peoples like in World war Z) movies that made me cry at the end. That little girl ❤️:hug:

Sweet home  on Netflix. Weird. The Specials effects are lol, but it's from a manga, so it's understandable they kept this graphic novel look. It's a must-see!

Not zombies tho. Demons ?

@Prettyphile Are you watching horror movies from other countries ? I think i've seen everything from the US/Canada. I need to broaden my horizons and Korea is a perfect start !

I love JAPANESE AND KOREAN horror! Their movies are brutal compared to what we put out in North America.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:40 AM, frenchkiki said:

I am having fun.

J-horror is really genius from what I've seen. I learned the most from Junji Ito's comics, which are all online.  There are also Chilla's art horror games and other J-horror games that are great.  I like the emphasis on the horror of the mundane and body horror.

cwoysj9vrq3e4zluu2mx.jpgjunjiito6.jpge2297239ea5e174db9af25564a4a0f97.jpg22369814.jpgoriginal.jpgfera1-kd4B--621x414@LiveMint.jpgaYxN7Gq_700b.jpg6a1e70e2b7d66a6b2cb3f9f29b595450.pngtumblr_inline_p96qozgeWF1qiz4q8_500.jpgJunji-ito-Japan-manga-anime-tokyo-comic-22017-business-product-vycp3lxw9yi015984Thing-that-Drifted-Ashore.jpg?format=1009e3144b772e055c2cd9decd6ef90e31a.jpg607cc6e6f6d3e84a03053f7393685a28.jpgtumblr_p3gsbhE1Ec1wnnc5fo3_640.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwtYGCDpCoz9psxKk3JNkf9c3738fe3c266e875c91cafe119e148.jpg718005115212deaf5ca92e3db9c97fbfdc9e399dScreen_Shot_2020_08_28_at_9.10.11_AM.pnggyomanga11.jpg?w=500&h=240

One of his horror stories is being turned into a Japanese show:

http://www.horrornewsnetwork.net/quibi-announces-tomie-series-from-alexandre-aja/

On 8/5/2021 at 6:02 PM, Cult Icon said:

J-horror is really genius from what I've seen. I learned the most from Junji Ito's comics, which are all online.  There are also Chilla's art horror games and other J-horror games that are great.  I like the emphasis on the horror of the mundane and body horror.

cwoysj9vrq3e4zluu2mx.jpgjunjiito6.jpge2297239ea5e174db9af25564a4a0f97.jpg22369814.jpgoriginal.jpgfera1-kd4B--621x414@LiveMint.jpgaYxN7Gq_700b.jpg6a1e70e2b7d66a6b2cb3f9f29b595450.pngtumblr_inline_p96qozgeWF1qiz4q8_500.jpgJunji-ito-Japan-manga-anime-tokyo-comic-22017-business-product-vycp3lxw9yi015984Thing-that-Drifted-Ashore.jpg?format=1009e3144b772e055c2cd9decd6ef90e31a.jpg607cc6e6f6d3e84a03053f7393685a28.jpgtumblr_p3gsbhE1Ec1wnnc5fo3_640.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwtYGCDpCoz9psxKk3JNkf9c3738fe3c266e875c91cafe119e148.jpg718005115212deaf5ca92e3db9c97fbfdc9e399dScreen_Shot_2020_08_28_at_9.10.11_AM.pnggyomanga11.jpg?w=500&h=240

One of his horror stories is being turned into a Japanese show:

http://www.horrornewsnetwork.net/quibi-announces-tomie-series-from-alexandre-aja/

The guy with the holes on his face

giphy.gif