Bellazon

Euro 2020

Stromboli1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, Frederick said:

"Yippee, Alvaro Morata." - no one ever.

Ahem. Feared we might have a dour 0-0 on our hands but that was a lot of fun with a legendary own goal, roaring comeback and moment of glory for a certain much maligned forward. Friday could be juicy.

Relatively rare you get a knockout tie as crackers as that one, an instant classic for sure. Spain are banging them in and will be a handful for anyone they face, although today may have alerted future opponents to the fact that their central defensive pairing perhaps isn't the most mobile. Croatia may be out, but hats off to them for their fighting spirit.

2 hours ago, Frederick said:

Ahem. Feared we might have a dour 0-0 on our hands but that was a lot of fun with a legendary own goal, roaring comeback and moment of glory for a certain much maligned forward. Friday could be juicy.

Forget Juicy Friday, all hail Manic Monday! Croatia-Spain was health and safety training on a grey morning in Luton compared to the towering, shimmering, barmy shenanigans of France-Switzerland! Why were France how they were in the first half, who is Lenglet's agent and how has he blagged his man a career like this, are we quite sure the cameras didn't miss Xhaka chucking someone through a plate of glass because I could've sworn he wasn't supposed to be able to handle such occasions (but boy did he). The penalty, the immediate wake-up of all the French power-beasts (except one, let's be honest), the unfathomable comeback, the BUTTER WOULDN'T MELT penalty taking (Akanjiiiii!), it feels like Sommer to me!

I suppose one can't entirely blame France for thinking that they could beat Switzerland by playing to the level of their prodigious talents for ten minutes, then going back to sleep. They did win the last World Cup by doing exactly that.

Deschamps could now be at liberty to become the latest manager to turn down the Spurs job.

As per usual I was only half listening to JP's musings from the commentary box tonight, but it sounds like Ukraine have Matt Bianco as one of their star players. Who knows what other surprises they have in store for England in the quarters, Shakin' Stevens or Cliff Richard perhaps.

Let's not get too carried away, that's all I'm saying.

Spain certainly deserved to go through there, Switzerland will be kicking themselves for holding out and then blowing it with three chronic penalties. The loss of Embolo was unfortunate though, it allowed Spain to put them on the carousel for most of the game.

A game that slapped, banged and hammered in equal measure, we'll be lucky if we see a better one at this tournament. Italy shaded the win for me, they were relentless throughout and scored two gems. Belgium perhaps needed a fully fit Eden Hazard to counter Italy's industry and professionalism, even so Lukaku could have had two more in the second half.

Commiserations to Belgium and @SympathysSilhouette, tough to go out after all that effort.