Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

MEDICAL REPORT

• Antonio Cassano: Traumatic arthritis on the right ankle. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Gym and field work.

• Fernando Gago: Bruised fibula on the right leg. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Gym and field work.

Gago: It All Changed After Barcelona

Fernando Gago has been amazed by the change in atitude at Real Madrid since he arrived in January and pinpoints the draw in Camp Nou as a major turning point.

The Argentinian's last full appearance for the club was against FC Barcelona, as he helped los Merengues earn a 3-3 draw against the ten-man home side.

Since that encounter, Gago believes that the mentality within the Madrid squad has changed and led to their progress that saw them go top of the league last weekend.

"We are in very high spirits," he said-

"The attitude has changed since the match against Barça. That spirit has guided us since then and allowed us to earn some very good results.

"We now have a shared objective. I am delighted to see the good form that the team is enjoying, but is unforunate that I cannot be there, so I need to keep on working knowing that we are all pushing in the same direction."

Despite Madrid playing so well in his absence, Gago is not concerned that he may not retain his place int he starting line-up when he recovers from his leg injury.

"I came here, I played and now I am out," he said. "But I always say the same thing: I never ask anything when I play so I'm not going to ask anything when I don't.

"I just want to be available, at the disposal of the coaching staff and always ready to help the team out."

Gago press conference

"The change of attitude meant we are now all pushing in the same direction"

Fernando Gago has a specific and individual recovery plan for his right leg bruised fibula and is making positive progress. He wants to be back as soon as possible to enjoy inside the pitch the great streak of form the team are in. The Argentine was signed during the winter transfer window. Since then, he has witnessed in first person the change of attitude within the squad. “We are in very high spirits,” confesses the midfielder.

How is your injury recovery progressing?

Fine. I am better with every passing day. The pain has subsided but I don't want to risk it because above all is one's health. That said, I do want to be back and play as soon as possible.

Does it make you sad to be unable to be inside the pitch and miss the feats that the team is achieving?

We have a shared objective. I am happy to see the good patch of form that the whole team is in. Unluckily, I cannot be there, so I need to keep on working knowing that we are all pushing in the same direction.

Do you fear you have lost your starting position?

I got here. I played. And now I'm out. But I always say the same thing: I never ask anything when I play so I'm not going to ask anything when I don't. I just want to be there, at the entire disposal of the coaching staff and always ready to help the team out.

Is the attitude change that notorious since you first got here?

It is. The attitude changed since the match against Barça. That spirit has guided us thereafter and allowed us to reap good results.

Who are your bets on tonight, Espanyol or Sevilla?

My bets are on Real Madrid. The rest doesn't interest me. I hope the best team wins tonight. I am acquainted with Zabaleta, who plays for Espanyol, but I repeat... I don't really mind who wins. All I am focused on is my team.

There are Atletico Madrid fans who prefer losing to Barcelona so as not to help Madrid out…

Yes, but a football player always wants to win. I've never seen or known otherwise. If you help the opponent, so be it. I think Atleti will play to win.

Recreativo vs. Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López & Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Mejía, Roberto Carlos & Torres.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Higuaín & Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Recreativo Huelva: Laquait; Merino, Beto, Pablo Amo, Poli; Jesús Váquez, Barber, Juanma (Aitor, 58'), Cazorla; Rosu (Uche, min.45) & Sinama Pongolle (Javi Guerrero, 53').

Real Madrid: Casillas; Torres, Ramos, Cannavarro, Roberto Carlos; Diarra, Gago, Beckham, Robinho (Guti, 75'); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Mejuto González. Booked Cannavaro (30'), Beckham (59') and Laquait (53').

Goals:

0-1 (8'): Robinho scores a header from a brilliant cross by Beckham.

0-2 (53'): Van Nistelrooy scores a penalty.

1-2 (73'): Jesús Vázquez scores a penalty.

2-2 (76'): Uche puts the finishing touch on a corner by Aitor.

2-3 (90'): Roberto Carlos scores after a counterattack by Higuaín and Gago.

Highlights: Matchday 35 of la Liga. Venue: Nuevo Colombino Stadium. A minute's silence was held in memory of the five people who died in a bus accident on their way to Madrid before Christmas to see the previous fixture between both sides at the Bernabéu.

Van Nistelrooy & Gago

"I'm happy with being on a focused, quality team that plays with its heart"

These were Ruud van Nistelrooy's words after the match. The League's current Pichichi tallied yet another goal and was very happy with his team's important victory. Fernando Gago, who gave Roberto Carlos the pass from which the Brazilian scored, was also delighted with the win.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

"I don't know what to do with my pounding heart! I completely lost it when I saw Roberto's shot go in."

"We dominated for 60 or 70 minutes, but everything became harder for us after they scored the penalty. They then scored from a corner and we once again had to come back in the very last minute. It was fantastic."

"How we feel right now makes the suffering worth it. I'm happy with being on a focused, quality team that plays with its heart. This is fantastic and we're going to carry on this way in the next three games. We have played three or four fantastic games and we are going to continue enjoying ourselves."

"We once again proved we are able of coming back to win a game, like against Sevilla and Espanyol. That is our mentality. I want to keep scoring goals."

Fernando Gago

"This is a very important score for us because it keeps us in the fight for the title. We must keep our current mentality. I am incredibly happy for Roberto and for giving him the pass from which he scored. The team must continue fighting."

"The strength of the team allowed us to come back to earn a brilliant result. I was told I would be a starter earlier today. I wasn't surprised because, despite feeling a slight niggle, I felt well."

The final countdown

Ramos, Van Nistelrooy and Gago miss the week's first training session

Real Madrid have three games left before the League ends. The squad attended their first training of the week after having Monday off. Gago, Sergio Ramos and Ruud Van Nistelrooy stayed indoors recovering from mild niggles, while Emerson put the finishing touches to his recovery.

Real Madrid returned to training after the heart-stopping game against Recreativo Huelva, in which Roberto Carlos saved the day with his victory goal in added time.

It was a dark and cloudy morning at Valdebebas. The first to take the pitch was Miguel Torres, who played as right back in Huelva as opposed to Cicinho. The youth system product warmed up by hitting a ball with physical trainer Santiago Lozano. The rest of his teammates stepped out in due time. Roberto Carlos, Marcelo and Cicinho practiced heading skills while everyone else was coming out.

All the players, save Gago, Sergio Ramos and Ruud Van Nistelrooy, who are recovering from mild niggles, did toning and physical exercises. Emerson jogged around the pitch with physical coach José Luis San Martín as recovery for the spasm on his right hamstring muscles.

The squad is more united than ever, confident that their hard work and efforts will pay off. They have recently taken 24 out of a possible 27 points thanks to their good work. The team gets closer to winning the League each week and the fans will give them all their support on Saturday at the Bernabéu in the clash with Deportivo.

Real Madrid - Deportivo

Keepers: Iker Casillas, Diego López

Defenders: Miguel Torres, Cicinho, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Helguera, Roberto Carlos, Marcelo

Midfielders: Emerson, Diarra, Beckham, Gago, Guti, Reyes, Robinho

Strikers: Higuaín, Raúl, Van Nistelrooy.