Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

Gago to Realmadrid.com

"We have to play our hearts out in every match"

Despite being brought up in the ranks of South American powerhouse Boca Juniors, Fernando Gago, at the age of 20, picked Real Madrid as the best team with whom he could leave his mark on Europe. He arrived last December and, over the last three months, the Argentine has adapted to the team and the city to perfection. Having overcome a minor injury, all that's on Gago's mind is helping his teammates in the battle for the League title.

Most importantly, how do you feel after being injured?

Well. Fortunately it's history, but the tonsillitis gave me very high fever and I missed the last match at the Bernabéu. All I'm thinking about now is returning to the team. It's been good to have a few days off so that I could make a full recovery and now return back to work as strong as ever. A week of hard work lies ahead.

Personally, how do you feel?

Very well also. I'm still as excited as I was on my first day here and hungrier than ever to succeed. I want to bring joy back to this Club.

What did you think of the game against Nastic?

I was sick and I watched it on TV. I think the team played well, particularly in the second half. The important thing is that we won. I don't want to comment on my teammates. Things that happen in the dressing room shouldn't be made public. Nastic were united and made things difficult for us, but we knew how to react.

You will now face Celta, who are at the bottom of the table. Nevertheless, you shouldn't be too relaxed...

They are a complicated team, like every side that's flirting with relegation. I hope we can win, but we will have to make a big effort.

The Barcelona match was a turning point in the season...

Absolutely. It was beautiful game that unfortunately didn't end how we desired, but what really matters is that we maintained our winning attitudes.

What are the vibes like in the dressing room?

We have to play our hearts out in every match. We still have a lot of games ahead of us, but we're optimistic. We're all standing together, very confident in our abilities.

How do you feel masterminding the centre of the Madridista midfield?

I feel great. I adjusted very well. I always try to do my best, never minding who I'm paired with. I feel better and more relaxed every day.

Does the Bernabéu compare with La Bombonera

They are different. People are more passionate about football in Argentina. Everything is more relaxed here. But they're both great stadiums and playing in each is very special.

What would you like to tell the fans?

That they truly belive that we're going to give it our best effort until the very last day of the season.

Gago: I Want To Bring Joy Back To This Club

Gago returns from an injury he picked up against Barcelona just under three weeks ago, feeling as fresh and motivated as ever ahead of the trip to take on Celta Vigo at the weekend.

"I'm still as excited as I was on my first day here and hungrier than ever to succeed," Gago told Realmadrid.com. "I want to bring joy back to this club.

"It's been good to have a few days off so that I could make a full recovery and now return back to work as strong as ever."

"A week of hard work lies ahead," he continued, admitting that facing Celta at El Balaidos was a tricky prospect.

"They are a dangerous team, like every side that is flirting with relegation. I hope we can win, but we will have to make a big effort.

"We have to play our hearts out in every match. We still have a lot of games ahead of us, but we're optimistic. We're all standing together, very confident in our abilities.

Asked if the result against Barcelona was as influential as being bandied about, he was unequivocal: "Absolutely. It was beautiful game that unfortunately didn't end how we desired, but what really matters is that we maintained our winning attitude."

Celta vs. Real Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Iker Casillas, Diego López & Kiko Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Michel Salgado, Iván Helguera, Mejía, Pavón, Marcelo, Cicinho, Torres & Ramos.

MIDFIELDERS: Emerson, Diarra, Guti, Gago, Robinho & Raúl.

FORWARDS: Van Nistelrooy, Cassano & Higuaín.

Celta Vigo 1: Pinto; Ángel, Lequi, Contreras, Placente; Nené, Iriney, Oubiña, Gustavo López (Antonio Núñez, 69’); Baiano & Bamogo (Perera, 74’).

Real Madrid 2: Casillas; Salgado (Mejía, 85’), Ramos, Helguera, Torres; Diarra, Gago (Emerson, 74’), Guti; Raúl (Robinho, 61’), Higuaín & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Pérez Burrull. Booked Gago (20’), Pinto (26’), Ángel (28’), Iriney (35’), Salgado (64’), Diarra (68’), Robinho (83’), Núñez (85’), Helguera (89’). Guti was sent off in the 90th minute with a double booking.

Goals:

0-1, 26’: Van Nistelrooy, from a penalty.

1-1, 44’: Nené assists Ángel with a heel-pass and the latter scores.

1-2, 83’: Robinho scores a header.

Highlights: Matchday 28 of La Liga. Venue: Balaídos Stadium. Attendance: 24,000. Real Madrid wore black wristbands in mourning for the death of the daughter of former legendary Real Madrid player Santamaría.

Gago press conference

"We must always be the dominating team on the pitch"

Fernando Gago won't be able to take part in the match against Osasuna on Sunday because he is suspended. He is using this week's training sessions to do specific recovery work. In a press conference, he highlighted the importance of winning every home game in order to win the League.

The next game is at the Bernabéu, where the team hasn't been playing well this season.

It's strange to drop so many points at home but I think the Barcelona match marked a turning point for us, both on and off the pitch. We showed we really want to win the title, but we know that to win we must stand undefeated at home.

How do you explain that you find it hard to win at home?

It's hard to explain. I think we didn't give a good image in the past and now people think of us like that even before the game has started. We still have time to change this and to bring joy back to the fans.

What do you have to do to win at the Bernabéu?

We must always be the dominating team on the pitch and play well.

What's your opinion on the progress you've made in the past few months?

I don't generally like to give an opinion on these matters, but I think I've made good progress because I've played in practically every game.

You are suspended for Sunday's match. Is that why you're training aside from the squad?

Yes. I'm taking advantage of this 'break.' I'm a bit weak because I recently recovered from an illness that gave me very high fever and I want to take this time to fully recover and be in top form for the following match.

Will you keep an eye on the other contenders' games in case they falter?

I think it is most important for us to win and after that we will see how the rest have done. We must think of ourselves and our own chances first.

Can you imagine Raúl playing for another team?

I have heard nothing of the sort, but it would be strange to see the captain on another team, especially after everything he's been here. He is a very important player for Real Madrid.

Gago Mystified By Madrid Home Form

Fernando Gago cannot put his finger on Real Madrid's poor home form this season, but believes that the recent display against Barça put their title challenge back on track.

The Argentinian midfielder is mystified as to why Fabio Capello's side have the best away in the Spanish top flight, but rarely perform in the Bernabéu.

"It is strange to drop so many points at home but I think the Barcelona match marked a turning point for us, both on and off the pitch," he said.

"We showed we really want to win the title, but we know that to win we must stand undefeated at home.

"It is hard to explain. I think we didn't give a good image in the past and now people think of us like that even before the game has started.

"We must always be the dominating team on the pitch and play well."

While Madrid are involved in a four-horse race for the championship, Gago is not interested in other team's results and believes the responsibility on Madrid to keep picking up points.

"I think it is most important for us to win and after that we will see how the rest have done," he said. "We must think of ourselves and our own chances first."

After moving to Madrid during the winter transfer window, the 20-year-old has not had much time to settle into his new surroundings and he believes he is improving all the time.

"I do not generally like to give an opinion on these matters, but I think I've made good progress because I have played in practically every game," he stated.

Gago is suspended for the visit of Osasuna on Sunday and he is planning to use the weekend to rid himself of a debilitating fever.

"I am taking advantage of this so-called break," he said.

"I am a bit weak because I recently recovered from an illness that gave me very high fever and I want to take this time to fully recover and be in top form for the following match."