Tali

Racing vs. Real Madrid

• KEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López, Casilla

• DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Helguera, Cannavaro, Mejía, Marcelo, Salgado

• MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Emerson, Diarra, Robinho, Raúl, Reyes

• STRIKERS: Higuaín, Cassano, Van Nistelrooy

Gago to AS

"Our fans' support will be essential against Valencia"

Fernando Gago is extremely mature for a 20 year old. In an interview to Diario AS the Argentine said the team must win every game in order to keep its options to winning the title.

What do you think of the referees?

I don't want to talk about them. We must let them be and focus on our own work...

But the game against Valencia will be decisive...

Yes it will. The only option we have is to win the game, but that will be up to us. Our fans' support will be essential.

How would you assess your first four months at Real Madrid?

I think they've been very positive for me because I was already a starter within a week. I didn't play well in my first game, but I've gradually been gaining more confidence. My teammates are getting to know me better, and that's good.

How do you explain the fact that there isn't a clear leader in the League?

Because this League is very tight. No team is being dominant. We and Barcelona have dropped important points throughout the championship, so I think the League will be decided at the very end.

Do Real Madrid play ugly football?

We don't play ugly football. We played very well in some games that we didn't manage to win, such as the King's Cup game we drew against Betis, after which we were eliminated from the competition. We had many chances, but we failed to score.

Are we yet to see the best Gago at Real Madrid?

Of course. I was never completely satisfied with my performances at Boca Juniors, and the same goes for my performances at Real Madrid so far.

Do you prefer South American football to European football?

I like them both. They are very similar, but people are more passionate about in Argentina.

Have you changed since you signed for Real Madrid?

No. I'm still the same. I have no reason to change. I've always said players should have one personality and I always try to be the same.

Since Redondo left, Real Madrid haven't had a true midfielder and have used a double pivot...

I'd rather play alone because that's what I'm used to, but we all have to get used to today's systems and do what the coach wants. We all have to adapt, but I'd rather play alone.

Why don't you take shots on goal?

Because my position doesn't allow me to. I prefer to give the ball to a teammate in a better position. I will always shoot if I get a good chance. I prefer to assist my teammates than to score goals. I feel great when someone scores from one of my passes.

What's the key to winning the League?

To stand united and keep up the attitude we've had in past few games. We can't drop any more points.

How many games do you think Real Madrid will have to win to become League champions?

We must win every game. Barcelona are at the top and we can't afford to make any more mistakes.

Do you read the sports press?

Very little. I don't pay much attention to it. It doesn't have an effect on me any more. It did before because I used to read it.

Was the defeat against Bayern Munich the toughest day since your arrival?

Yes, it obviously was. It was a hard blow to be eliminated from the Champions League, but there is no time to get sad in football.

What do you think about Barcelona?

I've never liked to talk about rival teams.

Do you picture yourself celebrating the title at Cibeles square?

It's beautiful! I would love to be there. We will fight hard to win the League.

Who would you dedicate the title to if you were to win?

To my Dad, who always gave me his support.

Do Real Madrid deseve to win the League this year?

It would be nice to win by playing good football, but, at the end of the day, the most important thing is to win.

Which player has surprised you the most since you joined the team?

Cannavaro. I was surprised by his hard work during training and by his attitude. He deserves the Ballon d'Or and the FIFA World Player Award. He is a humble player, and that makes him great.

Does it bother you that people compare you to Redondo?

I generally don't like comparisons, but it's nice to be compared to an important player like him.

Do the players see themselves as champions?

We shouldn't rush into things, but we must grow more confident with each game.

Have you adapted to the city of Madrid?

Yes. I like it very much. I'm having a good time here. I found a quiet spot in which to live and I will gradually get more used to Spain.

What is it you most like about this city?

The respect of the fans. People here are very respectful and calm when they ask for an autograph. I am also very surprised by how clean and organised this city is.

Are you a bohemian?

Yes. I am 20 years old and I like to be with my friends. I'm pretty laid back.

Who prevents you from making big mistakes?

My family. They've taught me to always remain calm, to be humble and to have values in life.

What do you do when you leave Valdebebas?

I spend time with my family. My girlfriend is staying with me now and a few days ago my mom was here. I try to be surrounded by the people who love me, who are the most important thing to me.

Do you like to go to the cinema?

Yes, but I prefer to watch a DVD at home.

What's your favourite film?

Gladiator. It's old, but I've always liked it.

Why?

I identify with it.

What do you think of Cristiano Ronaldo?

He is a fantastic player. Different. It would be an honour to play with him. I would sign him.

First Four Months Have Been Good For Me - Gago

Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Gago is by and large happy with his spell at the Bernabeu thus far.

Focus On Ourselves

"I don't want to talk about them," he told AS, when asked about the referees. "We must let them be and focus on our own work.

"We don't play ugly football," he continued, given suggestions that the fuss about refereeing was only to divert attention away Mardid's brand of football.

"We played very well in some games that we didn't manage to win, such as the Copa del Rey game we drew against Betis, after which we were eliminated from the competition.

"We had many chances, but we failed to score."

Four Months With Madrid

"I think they've been very positive for me because I was already a starter within a week," he said, speaking about his first four months as a Real Madrid player.

"I didn't play well in my first game, but I've gradually been gaining more confidence. My teammates are getting to know me better, and that's good.

"Of course. I was never completely satisfied with my performances at Boca Juniors, and the same goes for my performances at Real Madrid so far.

"I have no reason to change. I've always said players should have one personality and I always try to be the same."

Comparisons With Redondo

Asked about Real Madrid not having found a successor to Redondo, he said: "I generally don't like comparisons, but it's nice to be compared to an important player like him.

"I'd rather play alone [in midfield] because that's what I'm used to.

"But we all have to get used to today's systems, and do what the coach wants [a double pivot]. We all have to adapt, but I'd rather play alone."

Winning The League

"We must win every game. Barcelona are at the top and we can't afford to make any more mistakes," continued the Argentine.

"We must stand united and keep up the attitude we've had in past few games. We can't drop any more points.

"We must grow more confident with each game. We will fight hard to win the League."

Finally, he was asked about Cristiano Ronaldo: "He is a fantastic player. Different. It would be an honour to play with him. I would sign him."

Real Madrid vs. Valencia

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas & Diego López

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Helguera, Cannavaro, Pavón, Marcelo, Salgado & Torres

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Raúl, Reyes & Beckham

STRIKERS: Higuaín, Cassano & Van Nistelrooy

Gago to Marca

"We have to play as if it was our last game. The Bernabéu has to support us"

Saturday's Real Madrid-Valencia match has turned into a true final for both teams. The entire Madridista squad knows how important it is to defeat the Levantine side, and Fernando Gago expressed the group's feelings in an interview with Spanish sports daily Marca.

Is it goodbye to the League if you don't beat Valencia?

We're not thinking about losing, only a victory. We have to play well and win. Madrid always have to take the spotlight on the pitch. This is a final and we would practically kiss the League goodbye with a defeat. It would depend on a lot of factors and many teams. We have to win and play as if it was a final, as if it was our last game. The Bernabéu has to play and give us its support as well.

How awe-inspiring is the Bernabéu in these types of matches?

The Bernabéu is very awe-inspiring because of its history. Every footballer would die to play here at least once. It's a legendary stadium and I am fortunate to play here every Sunday.

Do you now know what you have to do to win the Bernabéu's support?

Win and play well. It's essential on any pitch, but moreso at the Bernabéu. I'll do everything I can to make Real Madrid fans happy. I'll fight until the end and play as well as I am capable of.

Has the Bernabéu scared you at all when you haven't performed your best?

I never hide. I'll always play as best I can, whether it's at the Bernabéu or elsewhere. I'll never stop asking for the ball. That's my job and I won't deny it. I love playing, and that's why I'm not scared. I enjoy my work.

You haven't played in two straight games. Will we see you against Valencia?

I hope so because I really want to play this game. It's one of those special matches that no one wants to miss. But I don't know if I will or not. We have to wait to see who the coach puts on the pitch.

What does Capello ask of you in matches of this nature?

That what a '5' has to do. To manage in building plays and breaking them down. I have distribute the ball and help in defence. It's what I always try to do on the pitch; help the team play the ball.

Do you like the football Capello wants?

Capello has a good sense of football. I like it. He tries to make sure the team always takes centre stage, and that it has attitude and heart. The problem is that the opponent also plays. There's a lot of talent in Spain, and things don't always turn out the way you want them even if you've worked hard. That's just football for you.

Is Valencia the hardest rival you have left?

They are a great team; very compact, hard-worked, and good in both attack and defence. They reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League and almost eliminated Chelsea. It will be a great game.

Are Silva and Villa the two players who worry you most?

In attack, yes. But they have a lot of good players all over the pitch. Ayala is amazing; he's a great leader in defence.

What does Ayala mean to Argentine football?

Not enough can be said about him. He has more caps than any other Argentine player. The respect we all have for him is very well-earned.

Albelda plays in the Valencia midfield. Do you like him?

Albelda is always playing when I see Valencia. I guess there's a reason. He's a great professional and always takes care of business, from what I've seen. I like the work he does in the midfield.

Can you see Barça slipping up against Villarreal tomorrow?

Let's hope. But we can't rely on another team if we don't win the remaining matches. We have to focus on winning our games. Winning is the only option. What Barcelona and Sevilla do doesn't depend on us. All we can control is winning and putting pressure on the top teams, that's it.

Do you see that team at Cibeles in June?

We're going to try. Setting foot on Cibeles and celebrating a title in my first season here would be beautiful, but we have to work very hard until the end. Let's hope we can celebrate a title. It would marvelous.