Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

Real Madrid's Gago doesn't want Redondo comparisons

Fernando Gago hopes to silence comparisons with Fernando Redondo at Real Madrid.

"I want to make my own history," said the Argentina international midfielder. "It is an honour to be compared with Redondo, but I want to make my own name.

"I don't believe we're so similar. The tradition of the No5 changes with each player who fills that position and their characteristics.

"I've only been in Madrid for a short time, but have adjusted very quickly. I feel very comfortable and I have more freedom than I did playing for Boca Juniors."

Fernando Gago: "I want to make history at Real Madrid"

The Argentinian player is currently in Paris waiting to make his debut with Argentina in a friendly match against France. The twenty year old will thus make one of his dreams come true. "I want to make history both with Real Madrid and Argentina," said Gago.

Fernando Gago once again avoided comparisons between him and Fernando Redondo, which this time focused on his role as a midfielder for Argentina. The Argentine said he feels "ackward" when compared to Redondo because he considers the former Real Madrid player to be an "historical Argentine player." "I too want to make history with Real Madrid and Argentina," said Gago in an interview to newspaper Olé.

The midfielder avoided further comparisons with other predecessors in his position. "The function of this position depends on the forwards you play with. A midfielder must take into account the characteristics of each player he plays with in order to devise a play," said the Argentine.

The player also commented on the system based on two centre midfielders used by both Argentina and Real Madrid. "I feel very comfortable playing like that. I adapted very quickly and I have more liberty distributing the ball with four of us in the midfield."

Real Sociedad vs. Real Madrid

• Keepers: Iker Casillas, Diego López, Adán.

• Defenders: Helguera, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Miguel Torres, Salgado, Miñambres, Pavón.

• Midfielders: Beckham, Diarra, Gago, Reyes, Robinho, Guti, Emerson.

• Strikers: Raúl, Higuaín, Van Nistelrooy.

1 – REAL SOCIEDAD: Bravo; Garrido, Mikel González, Juanito, Gerardo; Aramburu (Herrera 58’), Elustondo (Estrada 85’), Xabi Prieto, Savio; Rivas and Kovacevic (Skoubo 58’).

2 – REAL MADRID: Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Helguera, Cannavaro, Torres; Beckham, Emerson (Diarra 65’), Gago, Raúl (Higuaín 72’); Guti (Reyes 79’) and Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

1-0, min. 7: Aranburu after a faulty deflection by Casillas.

1-1, min. 36:Beckham with a free kick.

1-2, min. 48: Van Nistelrooy heads a cross from Torres.

REFEREE: Rodríguez Santiago (Castille-Leon Refereeing Association). Booked Cannavaro (20`), Van Nistelrooy (58’), Rivas (63’), Gago (68’), Helguera (73’) and Beckham (75’).

HIGHLIGHTS: First fixture of the 22nd matchday of the Spanish Primera Liga played in Real Sociedad's Anoeta stadium.

Real Madrid vs. Betis

• Keepers: Casillas, Diego López.

• Defenders: Salgado, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Pavón, Mejía, Roberto Carlos, Marcelo, Torres, Helguera.

• Midfielders: Emerson, Gago, Beckham, Guti, Reyes, Robinho.

• Strikers: Raúl, Van Nistelrooy, Higuaín.

REAL MADRID 0: Casillas; Sergio Ramos (Marcelo, 73'), Helguera, Cannavaro, Torres; Emerson, Gago (Raúl, 46'); Beckham, Guti, Robinho (Reyes, 61'); Van Nistelrooy.

BETIS 0: Toni Doblas; Ilic (Isidoro, 85'), Melli, Nano, Fernando Vega; Pancrate, Miguel Angel, Juande, Capi (Rivera, 46'), Fernando; Sobis (Robert, 65').

REFEREE: Muñiz Fernández. Booked Juande (6'), Sobis (15'), Nano (31'), Pancrate (87'), Rivera (90'), Gago (38'), Sergio Ramos (44'), Guti (89'). Sent Beckham off with a straight red card (93')

HIGHLIGHTS: Matchday 23 of the Spanish League. Venue: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, to capacity. One minutes' silence was held in honour of the late Eduardo Pérez, father of former Real Madrid President Florentino Pérez.

Gago to La Razón

"I have to prove every Sunday that I am capable of playing on this team"

Fernando Gago has won the trust of Fabio Capello and the fans, and he has been a fiture in the midfield since his arrival a few months ago. The Argentine assumes the responsibility entailed by wearing the Whites' shirt in an interview to La Razón journalist Blanca Benavent that shows the players most human and touching side.

Raúl is the leader of the dressing room and you are the leader on the pitch. Have you two talked about this?

Absolutely not. I don't consider myself to be a leader at this stage.

Nevertheless, you surely aspire to become the team's brain on the pitch?

I wish that could happen, but it will have to come by playing several games and through the trust of my teammates. That, logically, takes time.

Do you notice your teammates looking for you whenever game flow gets stuck?

I do, but I hope they look for me even more when we are better connected as a team.

Your father died nearly two years ago. I imagine he knew that you would soon play in Europe. What advice did he give you?

He gave me little advice because he was always at my side supporting me. My mother took good care of us after he died. I changed considerably when it happened and now feel strong enough to take on whatever may come my way.

Did you ever plan out your career in terms of when to attempt your shift to European football and which Club to try to join? Did you ever think about joining Real Madrid?

No! We never even mentioned Real Madrid because we were always looking at my present at Boca Juniors. We didn't speculate about the future.

Which of the values your parents taught you do you use in the dressing room?

They taught me to be a humble and calm person that should always respect others. I am grateful for that because I have never had any problems with anybody. They were very useful teachings.

Have you met Redodno yet?

No. We only spoke on the phone once to wish each other a happy Christmas.

I know you don't like speaking ill about anybody, so tell me good things about the new people you have met. Which player has surprised you the most?

I get along very well with Cannavaro and David Beckham, but the whole group is great and they all offered to help me with anything the first day I arrived.

Do you find Beckham's good manners and correctness appealing?

He is an extraordinary person and it does a lot of good to the team to have him playing again.

I thought you would be closer to Higuaín...

I am also close to him, but we're both new and we have to meet people, not close ourselves to anything new.

Which of your teammates is showing you Madrid?

No one for the moment, but I'm more relaxed now because I found a house. I will now have more time to enjoy Madrid a bit more.

What will you need to do to avoid ending up like other Argentines that came here as great promising players but never really made it?

I don't know. I'm only sure of having to play as well as I did in Argentina or to do even better. I have to keep calm and surround myself with my family and friends, who will always be at my side supporting me.

Do you think they don't make it because they never get used to the fast paced games of the Spanish League?

I don't know if it's that or the fact that they are so far away from their families. It's complicated. I'm young and I need my family with me.

Who did you bring with you?

I am currently alone because my grilfriend went back to Argentina, but my mother and one of my brothers will arrive in a few days. My girlfriend will return soon after they arrive. The idea is to have someone always at my side.

What will you offer Real Madrid in the six and a half years you have signed for?

That's a very long time and I hope everything continues to go well for me and that I win many titles.

Share one of your long term goals at Real Madrid with me.

It's strange to think so far ahead, but I wish I could spend many years of my career at this Club, like Redondo, Roberto Carlos and Raúl have done. Time and how well I do will determine if this is possible.

You have a strong character and the gift for leadership, and you are capable of reading football very well. You also have a very good touch on ball and attacking qualities. Despite all this, are you aware that Real Madrid can eat up any player?

I am and that's why I have to prove every Sunday that I am capable of playing on this team. That's the only possible way to loook at things.

How are you like off the pitch?

I am a homely person who enjoys being with his family and likes to see them happy.

What do you still preserve from your childhood?

Many emotions and beautiful experiences I am grateful to have lived.

Do you think that your father's death, the early move to a different country and the fact that you've been helping your family out from a young age have made you grow up fast and that that's why you don't get into trouble?

My father's death made me grow up fast and I think I am much stronger now.

How Madridista do you feel? Would you sign for Barcelona?

I'm sure the fans wouldn't like that and I think it would be disrespectful to do so. A footballer's career is very long and these types of things have happened in the past, but I think differently. I wouldn't sign for Atletico and I wouldn't have signed for River Plate in Argentina either.