Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

1- REAL MADRID: Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Torres, Helguera, Sergio Ramos; Gago, Beckham (Cassano, 68’), Robinho, Reyes (De la Red, 35’); Higuaín (Marcelo, 87’), Van Nistelrooy

1- GETAFE: Abbondanzieri; Contra, Paredes, Pulido, Tena; Celestini, Casquero, Cotelo (Alberto, 73’), Nacho; Albín (Redondo, 73’), Güiza (Pachón, 82’)

REFEREE: Teixeira Vitienes. Booked Roberto Carlos (11’), Beckham (33’), Cotelo (47’) and Paredes (83').

GOALS:

0-1 Güiza beats Casillas after receiving a great pass from Cotelo.

1-1 Van Nistelrooy scores from a penalty.

HIGHLIGHTS: Matchday 25 in the League. Venue: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.

"Our attitude yesterday is the path to victory"

Fernando Gago insists that his team needs to take on this crucial week with the same attitude put forth in the second half of last night's match against Getafe. "We have to consider each of the next two matches as finals," stated the Argentine midfielder after today's training. Gago also said he is very happy playing for Real Madrid, and he is optimistic about, and looking forward to, the games against Bayern and Barcelona.

What would you point out about yesterday's match against Getafe?

The team's attitude, especially in the second half. There's no doubt. It was very important, and we came out of the dressing room to win. We need to maintain yesterday's attitude for the next two matches.

Did the referee ruin Real Madrid's chances of winning?

I don't like discussing the referees. That's got nothing to do with us. Some plays were considered to be bad calls, but we need to create opportunities and work hard. That's how we would win more often than not.

Are you happy playing here?

I am having a lot of fun. The day I don't have fun on the pitch is the day I won't be happy in general, but that won't happen. In order to play good football you need to be happy and in form, even though there are always obstacles that life throws in the way. I am a serious person, but I have a lot of fun with my family, friends, and teammates. Honestly, I am happy. But I also recognise that I have more to offer and that I am still adjusting.

Would you like Real Madrid to play the ball more?

I wish. But I always say that the opponent also plays, so it's not easy to play if one team stays back or is always pressuring. We need to create more in attack. Our attitude yesterday is the path to victory."

Real Madrid have let a lot of points escape at home. Is the Bernabéu intimidating?

It is, but that's not the problem. We're not obtaining the results we should be at the Bernabéu, but we're making up for them on the road. I repeat, the idea is to play like yesterday, both home and away. There are still a lot of points to be had in the League, but first we have a crucial match on Wednesday. Then we'll do our best against Barcelona because we have them in arm's reach.

Is playing here like playing for Boca?

Boca and Real Madrid are very similar Clubs. The stadiums are always full and the pressure...

Who is the favourite at Allianz Arena?

I'm not a fan of tabbing favourites. It's 11 against 11 on the pitch, and we have a one goal advantage. That's all that matters.

How do Real Madrid have to play in Germany?

We want a favourable result, so we have to go through however we can. Capello has to talk to us about how he wants us to play, but I think Real Madrid have to play like always: by holding their ground and trying to score and win.

Van Bommel can play after all.

I'm not getting involved. That's what committees are for. We just play football.

Which team is easier to defeat: Bayern or Barcelona?

Neither. We have to consider each of the next to matches as finals. We have a lot at stake on Wednesday. I always pick winning both. I don't want to lose in the Round of 16 or a Clasico.

Will the team win a title this year?

Why would we play if we didn't have faith? This team has a lot to offer.

Will the result of Wednesday's match rub off on the Clasico?

Everyone wants to win a derby. I have never played one here, but I have participated in Boca-River matches. I know they are games unlike any other. Barça lost on Saturday, making Saturday's match that much more important, in terms of both the table and the nature of a derby.

Bayern Munich vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Diego López, and Adán.

Defenders: Cannavaro, Helguera, Salgado, Torres, Roberto Carlos, Sergio Ramos, Pavón, Raúl Bravo, Marcelo, and Mejía.

Midfielders: Diarra, Raúl, Emerson, Robinho, De la Red, Guti, and Gago,

Forwards: Cassano, Van Nistelrooy, and Higuaín.

2 - BAYERN MUNICH: Kahn; Sagnol (Görlitz, 84’), Lucio, Van Buyten, Lahm; Salihamidzic, Van Bommel, Hargreaves, Schweinsteiger; Makaay (Pizarro, 68’) and Podolski (Demichelis, 87’).

1 – REAL MADRID:Casillas; Torres, Sergio Ramos, Helguera, Roberto Carlos; Emerson (Guti, 31’), Diarra, Gago (Robinho, 74’), Raúl; Higuain (Cassano, 46’) and Van Nistelrooy.

REFEREE: Lubos Michel, Slovakia.

Booked Sergio Ramos, Van Bommel, Podolski and Guti.

Sent off Van Bommel and Diarra after showing them two yellow cards in the 81st minute.

GOALS

1-0: Min. 1: Swift run in by Salihamidzic down the right and his cross is pushed in by Makaay.

2-0:: Min. 66: Lucio heads a corner to the back of the netcorner.

2-1: Min. 82: Van Nistelrooy, following a penalty shot.

HIGHLIGHTS: Return leg of the Champions League Round of 16. 3-2, first leg result. 4-4 aggregate score, with Madrid out on away goals. Munich Arena stadium hosted the event with an attendance of 66,000 spectators, 3,500 of which were Madridistas. The pitch was in perfect playing condition. It rained during the game and the temperature at the time of the game was 8ºC.