Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

Gago & Cicinho to Realmadrid.com

"Our priority is to win every title this season"

Fernando Gago rejoined the squad yesterday, while Cicinho has been training with the team for two weeks and has completely adapted to the training routine. They both share the same ambition for the forthcoming season.

Gago

"I'm quite relaxed and happy for coming back to work. I just got back so I can't really comment on the work Schuster is doing, but I am aware that he wants the team to attack and to keep ball possession as much as possible."

"Real Madrid's priority is to win every title. I am ambitious and I want to win everything."

Cicinho

"We've been working hard these past couple of weeks and the team is gradually looking better. We will try to win the game tomorrow. We are not too worried about our first defeat. The coach told us this was normal because Hannover 96 had been working much longer than us. It is still too soon to draw any conclusions, but we have to improve."

"We are a great team and all the men are very anxious to play. We will be in optimum form by the start of the League."

"I only think about doing a good job. It would be great to face Milan next season, but I'd rather avoid playing against Kaká because he is a brilliant player."

"We will try to win at all costs or at least to play very well, bearing in mind that we are still in the preseason."

PSV: Gomes; Sonneweld, Salcido, Da Costa, Alcides; Aissati, Afellay, Simona, Mendez; Jonathan y Bakkal. Tambie'n jugo': Lazovic, Kromkamp, Van Der Legte, De Jong.

REAL MADRID: Dudek; Cicinho (Pepe, min.45), Cannavaro, Ramos, Marcelo; De la Red (Guti, min.45), Gago (Diarra, min.70), Higuai'n (Robinho, min.45), Balboa (Baptista, min.70); Saviola and Rau'l.

REFEREE: Valenti'n Ivanov.

GOALS:

1-0 (min.33): Aissaiti to the corner of the net.

2-0 (min. 45): Sonneweld free kick.

2-1 (min.58): Saviola off Guti set piece pass.

NOTES: Fourth match of the preseason for Real Madrid and second game of the Russian Railways Cup.

Gago Eyes Improvement For Super Cup

Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Gago admits that the team need to step it up a notch ahead of the looming Spanish Super Cup clash against Sevilla. Uefa Cup and Copa del Rey winners Sevilla are likely to provide a very stern test in the Spanish Super Cup clash, and Gago admits that Real Madrid need to improve.

Both the games in Moscow - against PSV Eindhoven and Lokomotiv Moscow - were characterised by listless first half displays, which will have to change against Sevilla.

"We have to remain calm; these are just preseason matches," he began. "We did improve in the second half and played like we wanted to, but must improve. However, I feel good about the squad we have. I know we are going to push ourselves to the limit to be fit for the important stuff."

"All we're thinking about now is working. We have to intensify our work to be fully fit for the Super Cup. That's our biggest goal right now."

About his own role he said: "I felt good even though they were the first minutes I played this year. I admit I felt better with Guti on the pitch because he has an easier time reaching the box. I like to play further back."

Gago has been one of the players who does not seem to be an integral part of Bernd Schuster's plans, at least not at the moment, while Real Madrid get linked with one midfielder after another. That could change with a couple of good games, of course.

Spanish Supercup: Sevilla vs. Real Madrid

SQUAD LIST

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Dudek & Codina.

Defenders: Cannavaro, Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Salgado, Marcelo, Cicinho, Torres & Agus.

Midfielders: Guti, De la Red, Granero, Diarra, Gago, Adrián & Balboa.

Forwards: Soldado, Baptista, Raúl, Bueno, Robinho & Saviola.

• 2 months later...

SEVILLA 2: Palop; Alves, Fazio (Mosquera, min.34), Dragutinovic, Crespo (Diego Capel, min.41); Poulsen, Keita, Navas, Adriano; Luis Fabiano (Renato, min.77) and Kanouté.

REAL MADRID 0: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Metzelder, Marcelo; Diarra, Gago (Torres, min.56), Robinho, Guti; Raúl (Balboa, min.70) and Van Nistelrooy (Baptista, min.80).

REFEREE: Alfonso Álvarez Izquierdo. Booked Dani Alves (min.30), Keita (min.40), Robinho (min. 47), Casillas (min.51), Raúl (min.58), Capel (min.63), Diarra (min.75) and Guti (min.85). Sent off Sergio Ramos (min.51).

GOALS:

1-0 (min.20): Keita finds the right corner of the net from outside the box.

2-0 (min.21): Luis Fabiano capitalizes on a Casillas deflection.

NOTES: Matchday 11 of La Liga played at Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium. Attendance: 45,000.

Olimpiacos vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Codina

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Heinze, Pepe, Cannavaro, Torres

Midfielders: Gago, Drenthe, Balboa, Sneijder, Robinho, Diarra

Forwards: Soldado, Saviola, Baptista, Van Nistelrooy, Raúl.

0- OLYMPIACOS: Nikopolidis; Pantos, Zewlakow, Julio César (Mendrinos, 73’), Raúl Bravo (Archubi, min.52); Galletti, Patsatzoglou, Djordjevic, Stoltidis, Lualua; Kovacevic (Konstantonou, 79’).

0- REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Heinze, Marcelo; Robinho (Saviola, 82’), Diarra, Gago, Sneijder; Van Nistelrooy and Raúl (Balboa, 82’).

REFEREE: Lubos Michel. Booked Casillas (min.9), Ramos (min.14), Djordjevic (min.43), Pantos (min.70).

NOTES: Matchday 4 of Group C in the Champions League played at Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium. Attendance: 53,000.

Real Madrid vs. Real Mallorca

Keepers: Iker Casillas, Codina

Defenders: Miguel Torres, Marcelo, Heinze, Pepe, Cannavaro, Metzelder

Midfielders: Gago, Diarra, Sneijder, Drenthe, Robinho

Strikers: Raúl, Van Nistelrooy, Saviola, Baptista, Higuaín.

4 - Real Madrid: Casillas; Torres, Cannavaro (Pepe, 45’), Heinze, Marcelo; Sneijder (Higuaín, 74’), Gago, Diarra, Robinho (Drenthe, 88’); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

3 - Mallorca: Lux; F.Navarro, Héctor, Ballesteros, Varela (Víctor, 90’); Nunes, Basinas, Pereyra (B.Valero, 51’), Arango (Webó, 76’); Ibagaza & Güiza.

GOALS:

1-0, 11'.Robinho.

1-1, 12'.Varela.

2-1, 16'.Robinho.

2-2, 35'.Varela.

2-3, 59'. Güiza.

3-3, 62'. Raúl.

4-3, 73'. Van Nistelrooy.

REFEREE: Fernández Borbalán. Booked Diarra (89’) and Higuaín (90’).

HIGHLIGHTS: Matchday 12 of the Spanish League. Venue: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Christian Alarcón, member of the Mexican Embassy in Madrid, saw the fans make donations at desks laid out at the stadium to help victims of the Mexico floodings.