Bellazon

Fernando Gago
Thumbnail

Tali

Gago press conference

"I have to continue to grow as a player and earn the coach's confidence to keep playing"

Fernando Gago has become a fixed midfielder now that Diarra is playing in the African Cup. The Argentine takes this chance as a challenge and is playing very well.

Are you happy with your performances or do you think you can do better?

I'm very happy because the team is winning its games, especially those which are complicated. I'm also happy because we are taking many points.

So, do you think you can still grow as a player?

Yes, of course. I'm still learning.

May we see you play even better?

Sure. There's always something to improve on and I always try to do better.

Schuster has had faith in you now that Diarra is gone. Do you think you are responding well to this?

I do because I am doing what he asks of me. The important thing is that he couts on me. It allows me to play more minutes. It's harder to earn a spot when the team does well, so this makes me feel very comfortable and confident.

The other day Guti said the League will be fought for by Barcelona and Real Madrid. Do you think this too?

It's still too soon to know and we must think about ourselves. We have to keep our lead and also look for the best system to play in. The most important thing is to keep winning.

Do you have to make more efforts when playing with Sneijder and Guti than with Diarra?

No. I work as I have always done. I always do my best and sometimes things go well and others they don't.

Are you now playing in your natural position?

Yes. I feel comfortable in this position within the system we play in, but I still have to mature as a player in order to prove I deserve more minutes of playing time.

Have you decided if you will play with Argentina in the Olympics yet?

I always want to play with my national team, but I will have to take into account the form I'm in by then.

How is Saviola living this year?

Well, he's not well now because he's injured, but these things happen in football all the time. He will recover soon and give his best.

A booking on Sunday will get you suspended for one game. Will you be extra careful?

I will not think about the bookings I have already. It would be unlucky to see a yellow card this weekend. We must do our best against Villarreal because we have to win.

Real Madrid vs. Villarreal

Goalkeepers: Casillas and Dudek.

Defenders: Salgado, Metzelder, Ramos, Cannavaro, Marcelo, and Torres.

Midfielders: Gago, Guti, Balboa, Drenthe, Baptista, Robben, Sneijder, and Robinho.

Forwards: Higuain, Raul, and Van Nistelrooy.

3- REAL MADRID: Iker Casillas; Michel Salgado (Drenthe, min.80), Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Miguel Torres; Gago, Guti, Baptista (Sneijder, m.73); Robinho (Higuaín, m.88), Raul, and Van Nistelrooy.

2- VILLARREAL: Diego Lopez; Javi Venta, Cygan, Godin, Capdevila; Senna, Bruno (Josico, m.58), Cazorla; Cani (Angel, m.58) Nihat (Tomasson, m.74), and Rossi.

GOALS:

1-0 (m.9): Robinho

1-1 (m.16): Rossi

2-1 (m.56): Robinho

2-2 (m.75): Capdevila.

3-2 (m.76): Sneijder

REFEREE: Alvarez Izquierdo. Booked Gago, Godin, and Senna.

NOTES: Matchday 21 of La Liga played at the Santiago Bernabeu. Attendance: 80,000.

Gago & Casillas

"We have to keep fighting in every match"

Iker Casillas and Fernando Gago gave us their opinions of Sunday's important 3-2 victory over Villarreal.

Gago:

"I feel more and more comfortable. A confident player only improves and I am pleased with the way the match ended. It was a pretty goal. I saw Sneijder and gave him the ball. We were lucky and managed to score."

"We knew they were a good team, but we had faith in our abilities. We had to stay awake in attack, but more so in defense. Proof lies in the fact that one little distraction resulted in their second goal."

"Winning is all that counts, but playing well makes it more special. We have to keep winning this way. It's time to enjoy this victory. Barcelona lost two points and our lead is quite significant, but we have to focus on playing our game and winning."

Casillas:

"It was complicated. We played well in the first half, but their first goal cooled us off. We wanted to answer from that moment on and in the second half we had plenty of chances to win. We capitalized on them and took this well-deserved win."

"Diego López was great. He had several praiseworthy saves. We're happy to have won and to have a larger lead over our rivals.

"We have to keep playing like this. We're winnig. We're in good form and we cannot think that we're already champions. We have to keep fighting in every match because we cannot let our rivals catch up to us with such a substantial lead."

"The record for not conceding a goal didn't create any pressure. Not allowing any goals for so long makes me very proud, but what's best for this team is winning and then taking the title."

• 2 weeks later...

Real Madrid vs. Valladolid

Goalkeepers: Casillas and Dudek

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Michel Salgado, and Marcelo

Midfielders: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Balboa, Robben, and Drenthe

Forwards: Robinho, Higuain, Baptista, Soldado, and Raul

REAL MADRID - 7: Casillas, Míchel Salgado, Sergio Ramos (Diarra, 57’), Cannavaro, Marcelo, Robinho (Drenthe, 15’), Gago (Soldado, 74’), Guti, Robben, Baptista, and Raúl.

REAL VALLADOLID - 0: Asenjo, Marcos, García Calvo, Rafa, Pedro López, Álvaro Rubio, Vivar Dorado, Capdevila (Óscar Sánchez, 57’), Víctor (Borja, 45’), Sisi (Sesma, 72’), and Llorente.

GOALS:

1-0, (Min. 9) Baptista

2-0, (Min. 30) Raúli

3-0, (Min. 32) Robben

4-0, (Min. 38) Raúl

5-0, (Min. 44) Guti

6-0, (Min. 62) Guti

7-0, (Min. 79) Drenthe.

REFEREE: Ramírez Domínguez. Booked Sergio Ramos (22’) and Asenjo (38’)

NOTES: La Liga Matchday 23 played at the Santiago Bernabéu.