Bellazon

General Discussion

Neo52285

5 minutes ago, Sophie20 said:

Racist things? She isn't even black to begin... I'm from Brazil and the thing is, here if you aren't number one you aren't important and Gisele is the n1 and she works A LOT in Brazil, Adriana works few times.. and Adriana's portuguese isn't that good, in that brazilian interview they said she has gringo accent lol and its true (but Adriana desagrees).. the other hand Gisele's portuguese is 100% perfect

Well, I understand (though I do not share) that Gisele is more admired than Adriana. In the end, Gisele is the most successful model and probably the most iconic in post-millennial industry. The face of the decade in fashion world and i can agree. Personally, I like him and I think she is very smart (hence earn much more than the other models). But not for that should be unfair with Adriana. .

13 minutes ago, Sophie20 said:

No way hahaha.. .well I'm her fan and I'm from South of Brazil... and its fact this "fight" North x South but in no way Adriana is common and Gisele exotic haha there are blonds everywhere here but of course more in South.... Plus Adriana seems to like more models from North of Brazil like Laís, which is rare bc 95% of the brazilians models are from South of Brazil

That is interesting because so many brazilians have said that, even people who have family/friends from brazil, said they say the same things. Alot of girls look like adriana there, apparently to them. People do say brazil is where alot of mixed people are from so I would imagine gisele is like exotic there, since she is a white brazilian. 

Which part of brazil is adriana from? I know gisele is south.

13 minutes ago, TKC said:

The brazilians who are proud of her I noticed are from where she is. She has some Brazilian fans, Sophia is from there , but on a broad scale, Adriana isn't that cared about. And she never got much work there. Those who are friendlier about how unimpressed they are about her say she is like common, she is basic to them. Somebody like Gisele is exotic and rare and all of that . they are impressed by the Gisele and Alessandra type more than Adriana, so some say 

Yes, I read that argument at some time, but... i don't believe Adriana is common hahaha. Adriana is a genetic lottery jackpot prize. Alessandra seems much more common, she looks a lot like Izabel, for example. But i never seen a face like Adriana's face, maybe Sara or Irina and with due respect to the obvious differences, but neither Sara nor Irina are brazilians to say that Adriana is a common beauty in Brazil.

Yeah you are right Emma ;) and this area (northeast) in particular, suffers prejudice, some people make fun :/ bc say its more poor than South, or bc of their accent (Adriana once said she's the prove that people from Bahia aren't lazy) etc etc... but they have the most popular Singer, the most amazing writers and an AMAZING culture!!!! Viva o Nordeste!!! Haha go northeast go

1 hour ago, Sophie20 said:

Racist things? She isn't even black to begin... I'm from Brazil and the thing is, here if you aren't number one you aren't important and Gisele is the n1 and she works A LOT in Brazil, Adriana works few times.. and Adriana's portuguese isn't that good, in that brazilian interview they said she has gringo accent lol and its true (but Adriana desagrees).. the other hand Gisele's portuguese is 100% perfect

She isn't white, that's enough. Black isn't just the only race that can experience that. But Adriana famously claimed Afro Brazilian, that's black Brazilian.

Last year I read a study about people like Adriana in Brazilian, mixed and racially ambiguous, they lie on social media and try to pass as not mixed at all. It's common, there is a reason for that. And some friends who lived in Brazil said it is harder for people of color there. Not just full black. And you should tell that to the people who we have seen on social media saying racist things because of African blood she has. 

Again, she didn't " lose opportunities" or chose to not work a lot there. It's not given to her as much. Adriana goes to Brazil every single time work comes along it seems. Adriana will go to Turku for work. Italy. And she still does charity work in Brazil. It's not like she ignoring her country when it comes to doing anything there. I am sure if she was given more Brazilian work, we'd see more Brazilian work. But she isn't 

either way, whether it's her accent or Portuguese or the path she chose to identify or what she looks like or what part of Brazil she is from, it's discrimination. According to some people, it's nothing new of an issue. There are some people like Adriana who feel the need to pass off as something else. and I am not gonna be disappointed that she wasnt chose to represent that  

But this discrimination or racist situation happens in the entire world, everywhere... and I don't see many people saying racist things on her social media, just that one you talked about here.... But tbh, Gisele is a "fenômeno", she does "all the work here" and Adriana just don't have space and this is sad :sad:

Not just on social media, I have on places like YouTube and other forums. Yeah that happens everywhere but it doesn't make it right nor okay. It just something people have to deal with because its systematic and put into a lot of places and cultures. But still doesn't make it ok 

Yeah it's all sad but it's a reason not to be bombed out about her not being apart of that, the way I see it 

6 hours ago, Sophie20 said:

Is Adriana's Portuguese really that bad? I'm not from Brazil so I don't know the language but I've seen interviews with Adriana in Portuguese and then with Gisele, they obviously sound different and both have a different accent but what exactly is bad about her Portuguese? 

Is it like "broken Portuguese" because of where adriana is from? Like, Jamaicans, they speak english but its broken,  so you wouldn't think it was English they were using. Is it like that for adriana? Because she wasn't from the best part of brazil? Or do they think she is too american with her accent, alot of people say that for ale, accent wise.

Funny because  here(US), her accent is super foreign for us no "gringo" mess at all lol

I just caught on to that, thats not true. We don't talk like her over here and alot of people find her accent very different from what we are used to. Alessandra is the one who people think accent is less of brazilian and more like us

I can see why adriana disagrees, Americans/Europeans are always put off by her accent. And she sounds like sophia vegara who is also latina and from a latin country.

It's hard to explain and I know it's crazy but to us she has an american "gringo" accent lol (like was said in her last brazilian interview, a mix with baiano accent + gringo accent, but she said she thinks she just has baiano haha not true). If you go to her YouTube videos where she speaks portuguese you will see A LOT of comments about her "not so brazilian" accent and some people trying defend her by saying it's bc she lives many years in USA, and others saying not so good things... All the brazilian interviews say the same thing about her accent

I don't know if it's get worst when she's nervous (like in some interviews maybe), but sometimes she confuses some words, like when I heard one interview that she said "isso faz com que você se sinta confidente" and it's totally wrong word, she wanted to say CONFIANTE not CONFIDENTE, very similar words but TOTALLY differents...

Like when she made that commercial for megacity game, that was so awful hahaha.. people said she speaks like a robot...

Gisele and Alessandra speak a perfect portuguese in my opinion, they came from a different area than Adriana, they have a different accent in their state but I don't know if this is the question

I get what you're saying, seems like its broken because of where she is from. Its not the best or probably not correct all the time. Like people in america speak English a certain kind of way depending on where they are from and their English may be incorrect sometimes. And again the Jamaican example.

It makes sense. Probably also don't help that she left brazil so early and she left straight out of that environment thats probably responsible for how she talks in Portuguese, so it stayed.

Still kinda mean to pick on her for that, she can't help where she came from.But as I said, thats the "problem" all along.

Like I said, I am ok with her not representing that. I see why adriana handles there the way she does. She will do work there and will do charity there and that is it lol. She does what she needs to there

I went to YouTube to see how others models from northeast of Brazil speak, like Laís Ribeiro and Fernanda Tavares, and they speak normal portuguese to me hahaha... but yes some people are mean saying that she thinks she's american or dumb..but she's superior and it's just a little problem and not all people are the same (if they don't like the sound of her portuguese so go heard someone else)

Her Portuguese is not that bad, though

I'm from Portugal, where /Portuguese/ is from, and believe me, she speaks fine. Usually, Portuguese people don't like Portuguese from Brazil (for pride reasons, lol :p ) but Adriana's Portuguese is quite understandable for us. Maybe it's because the Bahia region, which used to be very important for Portugal before the independence of Brazil (little history time there, sorry )

Sophie gave the word Confidente" as an example. In Brazil may not be correct or whatever, but for us is fine. Confidente is also the word for someone who we share a secret with but it can also mean Confidence.

14 minutes ago, dilhixitah said:

Her Portuguese is not that bad, though

I'm from Portugal, where /Portuguese/ is from, and believe me, she speaks fine. Usually, Portuguese people don't like Portuguese from Brazil (for pride reasons, lol :p ) but Adriana's Portuguese is quite understandable for us. Maybe it's because the Bahia region, which used to be very important for Portugal before the independence of Brazil (little history time there, sorry )

Sophie gave the word Confidente" as an example. In Brazil may not be correct or whatever, but for us is fine. Confidente is also the word for someone who we share a secret with but it can also mean Confidence.

Thanks for the explanation, and don't be sorry I actually find it very interesting!! And thanks @Sophie20 as well :smile:

Can someone else from Brazil talk here too?? lol... All the people from brazilian's media who interviewed her talk the same about her "american" (gringo) accent and you can see many brazilians talk too on her videos from YT (and you don't see this type of comments on the videos of others brazilians models, like Gisele or Alessandra because their accent is 100% native). 

We are talking about portuguese from Brazil dilhixitah, and here in Brazil (where Adriana learned portuguese) it's wrong use CONFIDENTE (a close friend who is told a secret) instead of CONFIANTE (confident, to be secure in who you are)... and she wanted to say to the women to be confident, secure NOT "confidente" so thats totally wrong... That's just an example, she is a human being and can make a mistake, but if you compares her portuguese and accent with the others brazilians models (even the ones from northeast) you can see the difference.. of course she can't heard people saying this but it's true.

7 hours ago, Sophie20 said:

I went to YouTube to see how others models from northeast of Brazil speak, like Laís Ribeiro and Fernanda Tavares, and they speak normal portuguese to me hahaha... but yes some people are mean saying that she thinks she's american or dumb..but she's superior and it's just a little problem and not all people are the same (if they don't like the sound of her portuguese so go heard someone else)

They are from the north but they aren't exactly where she is from. Thats enough to make a difference. They probably didn't grow up with any kind privilege either but adriana is known to be from a very poor area specifically, people like that tend to not speak the correct form of their language. I mean, there is a reason for it, that just doesn't happen. And it make sense considering where is from exactly.