Bellazon

Pronouncing Models Names

~*BeTtY*~

isn't it prounonces with an a instead of o like Vadianova.

Anyways anybody knws about Rianne Tan Haken's last 2 names lol?

I think it's just like it's spelled... you just say Ten (like 10 in English^^) Ha - ken (like Barbie-Ken ;) )

At least in German i would say so :unsure: ;)

I think it's just like it's spelled... you just say Ten (like 10 in English^^) Ha - ken (like Barbie-Ken ;) )

Actually in dutch they pronounce it like: ten Ha-kun

it was really funny to find this thread :laugh: interesting conversation! i thought that i'm the one who don't know how some names to pronounce :laugh: sharing my experince - i heard that natasha vodianova right pronouncing - as it writes, but with one nuance. there's accent on the next to last syllable... it's like vodianOva :idk:

I just noticed that lol...You mean Natalia Vodianova...Not Natasha :p

Lol a lot of people mix their names for some reason!

yep, this is another shade. a lot of names in russian has another ...hm ...version, you know. so natasha and natalia is the same. sasha and alexandra is the same too (also there's third version - shura :laugh: but it used very rare, especially by the old ladies on a bench :laugh: ). and so on :) like elizabeth - betty, katya - katerina, tanya - tatyana... every russian name has another version ;)

Yea exacly the same in the Bulgarian too just not Natasha & Natalia Lol.

But yea like my real name is Elizabeth and i've always been called Betty and when i came to canada ppl would be like why do ppl call u Betty and not Elizabeth? I just say becouse i like it that way lol they can't understand much when i explain lol pft so i don't bother.

Actually in dutch they pronounce it like: ten Ha-kun

Hm ok so you do pronounce the H (like hole) and not lake A-kun

Ha-Kun...

ok thank u :)

• 5 months later...

Hey! :) I'm glad to have found this thread. There are indeed a lot of pronunciations of models' names that I am not sure of, especially models with names of Russian/Ukrainian origin. I can learn a lot from this thread.

Anyway, I'm wondering about Coco Rocha, the lovely young Canadian.

I presume that her first name Coco is pronounced KO-KO, no difficulties here aye?

However, I am not so sure how her last name, Rocha, should be pronounced as.

Is it RO-KA, "KA" as in mocha, or RO-CHA/TSA, "CHA" as in don'tcha (the hard or soft "c" sound?).

I would say that RO-KA would sound much better though. :laugh: And what is the origin of her last name? Thank you for any help!

Its RO-CHA/TSA, "CHA" as in don'tcha (the hard or soft "c" sound?) :)

The origin of the last name "Rocha" is Portugese. It means boulder.

Thanks a lot GucciPradaDior! :flower:

How about Du Juan? Hye Park?

I think I might be able to help you here, as I am a Chinese. Du is pronounced "DOO," the consonant sound for "d" is slightly softened though... maybe like "DHOO." It's really hard to explain. As for Juan, hmm, like "JOOAN." Actually, pronouncing it according to the English pronunciation wouldn't sway too far though so I think most foreigners got it quite right. An extra note though. In Mandarin Chinese, there are four different tones, and the same pronunciation could have different tone which would have carried different meaning already. But I would say mastering the tones could be hard especially for non-native Mandarin speaker. And, it's not easy to tell what tones apply for her name here, unless you know the meaning of each word or the Chinese characters. So, at least with the pronunciation, you are halfway there. :)

For Hye Park, I'll pronounce it just as it is. Hye, which rhymes with bye, and Park, "PARK," but the "r" sound should not be emphasized. Maybe a Korean can clarify this. :laugh: