Bellazon

Unpopular opinions

Stromboli1

On 7/20/2016 at 5:42 PM, 17 Moments of Spring said:

I have significant personal experience and education to judge these matters.

I have thumbed through this book before.  It is quite bad. But I appreciate its effort (attacking intellectual brainwashing by the mass media and universities).  However it is misguided due to the fact that the author is a conservative ideologue.

What I do not like is intellectual pigeon holing and dishonestly, which is prevalent throughout US political culture and extends down to the way americans are educated .  Political bias is heavily embedded in education curriculum in the church, public schooling, liberal arts universities, and journalism schools.  The former is conservative and the latter are progressive.  Worse yet, the definition of what is left and what is right is very narrow and rigid.  

This is not all-inclusive of course.  One of the my favorite professors (history) once talked about how his textbook was corrupted by a board of education with elements modified into propaganda for secondary school kids. 

I can usually instantly tell what a person's political views are by asking whether they went to church or if they graduated from a liberal arts college.

Based on political and economic history, it definitely seems that prior generations of peoples were more cultured in certain areas that modern peoples are now impaired in.

Speaking to Polish television, a former member of Poland’s counter-terror police and an academic expert on information warfare and terrorism have articulated their concern about the intellectual and spiritual collapse of European civilisation, remarking it is “at the end of its existence”.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/30/polish-experts-europe-end-existence-western-europe-practically-dead/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 07. 24. at 2:18 AM, Cult Icon said:

Based on political and economic history, it definitely seems that prior generations of peoples were more cultured in certain areas that modern peoples are now impaired in.

Critical Theory was the notion, promulgated by the cultural Marxists of the Frankfurt School, that simply states there is nothing — no custom, institution, or moral precept — that is beyond criticizing, and destroying. “Who will save us from Western culture?” famously wondered Georg Lukács, one of the Frankfurters’ founding fathers. It is license to vandalize, and the fact that it was so swiftly embraced by American academe after the war remains a national disgrace.

Via the medium of “political correctness,” a fascism of the mind that seeks to prevent thought by preventing discussion. If you can’t say it, the Leftist reasoning goes, after a while you can’t think it, either. One would have thought the sudden collapse of their beloved Soviet Union would have disabused them of this notion, but no.

Further, the Left has cast aside much of the mufti it was forced to adopt in the United States — “tolerance” being its principal mask — and can finally be seen for what it is really is: a totalitarianism masquerading as beneficence.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/423707/subversion-101-heroism-after-critical-theory-nr-interview

On 8/11/2016 at 11:13 AM, 17 Moments of Spring said:

Hmmph, what does critical theory have to do with what I wrote?

I have heard of critical theory but do not know much about it.  What I do know is that peoples of earlier times were of a completely different mind.  This is reflected by their writings.  While they lacked access to wide range of information, they appeared to have meditated, read everything they could get their hands on, and wrote a tremendous deal.  They appeared to have memorized entire dictionaries and utilized a vocabulary that is seemingly far in excess of what is possessed by the median person today.  There is a certain unstructured creativity in their use of language and they express concepts that are alien to modern peoples.  Today, writing and thinking have been heavily regimented and commodified for the sake of efficiency and simplicity.  In certain ways, the intellectual standards have been greatly lowered.

Interestingly enough I find the thinking of academic philosophers and marxists to be a throwback to these earlier times.  In a way, they reject the present and in fact treat it with contempt.

40 minutes ago, Sanni said:

I don’t really like the (Brazilian) audience at the Olympics.

+1. Brazilians were so disrespectful to Romania's players when we played Brazil at both handball and tennis. I live in the Balkans and I see some the most hostile crowds all the time but this was just something else.

8 minutes ago, Syria said:

+1. Brazilians were so disrespectful to Romania's players when we played Brazil at both handball and tennis. I live in the Balkans and I see some the most hostile crowds all the time but this was just something else.

I’m sorry to hear that. It seems to be an epidemic in all kinds of sports especially if a Brazilian is competing. Maybe there haven’t been enough big sporting events (excluding football) in Brazil, which may have led to the public being uncultured.

I don’t want to insult any Brazilians that may read here but the audience at the Olympics really isn’t giving the best impression of the Brazilian people.

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I strongly suspect that a regular workout schedule ages women, and damages their skin.  It is not just the loss of fat, which thins out the face.

Orrrrrr every woman is different, just like every man is different, and their body chemistry greatly affects what a workout does to them and these generalised opinions are cockshite so of course no one else thinks that?When I stopped distance running training, my skin got bad fast. How about you start a workout regime and show us your face and we can judge what it's done to you? I'm proud of the work I did then and I don't give a fuck if you think it aged me or thinned me or damaged my skin or whatever you thought it did.

That's not an unpopular opinion, that's just wrong and idiotic. 

Pipe down darling.

(And calling me a childish name in my private messages after I was nice to you and gave you the name of the singer in my signature without letting my personal feelings about you cloud my judgement, that's really cute, you're such a lovely person and it is such a pleasure to know you.)

Popular opinion, since apparently we're using this thread for all the wrong things: I'm tired of shite. I'm tired of sexism. I'm done with it. 

(And mods, if you want to give me warning points or ban me for this post, you're not going to hear any arguments, hence this pre-emptive message. Probably for the best.)

Would it be sexist if I said that I suspect the same thing for men?

I'm curious about these personal feelings.  I wasn't aware that little ol' me had such an 'impact'.  You can yell at me in PM if you want.  Keep in mind, I don't seek to offend people on the board at all.

From one loudmouth to another, I think you're cute too :wub6yh2cm: