Bellazon

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Michael*

vpzy.jpg

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Release Date: April 4, 2014
Director: Joe & Anthony Russo

Synopsis
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier finds Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, living quietly in Washington, DC and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a SHIELD colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy — the Winter Soldier.

Cast
Chris Evans - Steve Rogers/Captain America
Scarlett Johansson - Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
Sebastian Stan - Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier

Robert Redford - Alexander Pierce
Anthony Mackie - Sam Wilson/Falcon

Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury

Cobie Smulders - Maria Hill

Maximiliano Hernandez - Jasper Sitwell

Emily VanCamp - Sharon Carter/Agent 13

Hayley Atwell - Peggy Carter
Frank Grillo - Brock Rumlow

Toby Jones - Dr. Arnim Zola

Garry Shandling - Senator Stern

Georges St Pierre - Batroc

Looks interesting. I didn't find the first CA movie that great and it's actually my least favorite Avenger movie but I love the Black Widow so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one more

I enjoyed the first one, but in many ways, I too thought of it as the weakest of Marvel's Phase 1 crop. Still, now that the obligatory origin story is largely out of the way, the follow-up should be relatively easy to get right. Nice to hear that Scarjo and Hayley Atwell will be involved again. :hehe:

I loved the first Captain movie more than any other, even Iron Man. This WWII background made it really interested. According to the producers the second installment will be more like a thriller. I can't wait.

You know, Captain America is a very iconic superhero but it really needs a storyline rehash.  The basic story- US army 'goody two shoes' runt gets injection and transforms into an Ubermensch and then fights in Europe is a decent frame but nothing really occurs in it.  

I have browsed through some CA comics and they're really thin on story.   The New CA movie is based on the 'Avengers' series (I'm hazy on this, I don't follow it..) where CA finds himself in the future and joins the modern superhero team.  His old enemies (Red Skull, etc.) manage to re-emerge and such stories like 're-creating the Third Reich', etc. are common in CA.

The story behind Winter Soldier is that his sidekick gets captured by the Soviet Union and gets turned into an assassin.  

I can't explain. It's really just a clusterf*ck of incoherent ideas and an excuse for CA to bash some heads in and save the day (to put it succinctly).  There's no emotional resonance or personality to the CA character.  He needs to be re-imagined, and re-written IMHO.   Overall, his WW2 days are actually more interesting and I didn't like how the film cut that loose in the end.  As far as the franchise goes, I am lukewarm on CA and the actor who played it.  They did some interesting things in the film but very little of it was memorable.  The Baddies also looked like Power Rangers.. :nicole:

By today's standards, the WWII backdrop is the most interesting aspect of the Captain America story, but his revival in the sixties would have been pretty ingenious at the time. He became something of an irrelevant figure when the Nazis were no longer around to for him to kick and punch in the face, so I do consider that whole ‘man out of time’ concept to be a clever direction for him. Granted though, the stories almost always followed the same simplistic formula.

This new movie does appear to be packing some emotional spectrum, and if it's done right it could be pretty effective, what with Peggy’s apparent reappearance as a much older character and his former best mate (I leave out his name as I can’t for the life of me remember if the guy in the movie was referred to as Bucky or not :blush:) as the villain. At least, that’s what I’m rather hoping for. Time will tell but I'm cautiously optimistic.

By today's standards, the WWII backdrop is the most interesting aspect of the Captain America story, but his revival in the sixties would have been pretty ingenious at the time. He became something of an irrelevant figure when the Nazis were no longer around to for him to kick and punch in the face, so I do consider that whole ‘man out of time’ concept to be a clever direction for him. Granted though, the stories almost always followed the same simplistic formula.

This new movie does appear to be packing some emotional spectrum, and if it's done right it could be pretty effective, what with Peggy’s apparent reappearance as a much older character and his former best mate (I leave out his name as I can’t for the life of me remember if the guy in the movie was referred to as Bucky or not :blush:) as the villain. At least, that’s what I’m rather hoping for. Time will tell but I'm cautiously optimistic.

True. I was thinking about that too.

I'm excited about the new movie, especially because I think Chris did a much better job with CA in The Avengers than in the first movie, you can see he was alreayd much more comfortable in the role. And like I said, I love my Black Widow so that adds more to the movie for me.

Yeah, we'll see.  They might do something good.

I read 'Man out of Time' a few years ago.  I don't remember a thing about it, but the same gimmick..a modern CA fighting with modernized Nazi villains that re-emerge in the future (eg. Red Skull) + Flashbacks to 1944...is also done in Hellboy.  And it's done a lot better.   (A bunch of Nazi Supervillians re-emerge in the present day in the first Hellboy volume, and also in the (4th? IIRC) called Conqueror Worm) There's even a Hellboy story series set in WW2 and post WW2 that's far better written and has more imagination (eg. 1946).   

So for me, the 'real' Captain America personality is in another comic series: Hellboy.  In a way, he represents the idealistic view of US in the 1940s if you look closely at him. He's basically a coarse blue collar man, the average GI at heart but he begrudgingly fights evil with his extraordinary power out of a sense of duty. He has no regard for fanaticism and madness that regularly surrounds him (Nazis, religious fanatics, and Monsters) & routinely demeans and makes dry humor about them.  

CA could be rewritten as something like that.

http://postimg.org/image/4v316fp47/f5955d01/

post-40981-0-1446096099-22819_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting points. I don't know an awful lot about the Hellboy books (although I did rather enjoy the movies), so it's not a comparison that would really ever have occurred to me before, but it's true there are a great many similarities between the characters. Perhaps I should investigate further. :hehe:

Scarlett Johansson On Cap & Black Widow's Relationship In CAPTAIN AMERICA: TWS

Scarlett Johansson has already confirmed (just in case those set pics didn't already) that her character Black Widow and Captain America: TWS's titular Avenger share "something of an intimate friendship" in Marvel's upcoming sequel, but was that the studio's plan all along? If you go back and watch The Avengers, the two do actually shoot a couple of admiring glances at one another! Coming Soon put the question to the actress, who admits that "the pairing is strange on paper", and although "Marvel's really good at noticing those connections", it actually wasn't something that was always in the cards...

"No, actually. Of course in "Avengers" particularly you start to see the relationships forming between these characters, and all of us have very specific relationships with one another. Of course we all know how we feel about one another. We work and all use each other in different ways. We all have very specific opinions about one another. I think that Joss laid the groundwork for a lot of interesting connections. That's why the audiences are so intrigued by that film because they love to see how these characters react to each other that come from completely different universes."

Sounds like poor old Hawkeye has been friendzoned. :pinch:

blackkiss.jpeg

Put me down as another who liked the first Captain America movie.

I especially enjoyed the fact that it was a period piece. Which is why I am a bit worried about this new one.

I am going to miss 1940s styled Hayley Atwell. :p

Me too. I believe she's also appearing via flashback though, so all may not be lost. :hehe:

• 3 weeks later...

'Captain America 2': Anthony Mackie's Falcon Audition Revealed!

Earlier this week, MTV News' Josh Horowitz sat down with "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" star Anthony Mackie to discuss everything about the upcoming Marvel Studios sequel. And as Horowitz found out, not only did Mackie do everything in his power to get the part, it wasn't even the first time he auditioned for a Marvel movie.

As Mackie reveals, he first went before the Marvel execs for a part in this past summer's "Iron Man 3," which begs the question: what part, exactly, did he go in for? Was The Falcon originally supposed to appear in the threequel? Or was Mackie up for something else, maybe bad guy Eric Savin, who was eventually played by James Badge Dale? Either way, Mackie didn't get it, but he did make sure he stayed in the Marvel mix.

"Once a month, for three years," said Mackie, referencing the frequency he called Marvel studios to see if he could have a part in one of their movies. Six months after the "Iron Man 3" audition, Mackie was called in for a meeting with "Cap 2" directors the Russos.

But that didn't mean Mackie had a better idea what was in store for him. At the meeting, he wasn't given a script, and the Russos — and Marvel execs — wouldn't even tell the actor what he would be doing in the movie. "Can I read the script?" asked Mackie, only to be told he could read after he had already signed for the movie. "And then I went and thought about it... It is Marvel, and all of their movies are really good. So why not?"

Once he finally did sign on, Mackie found that though the script might be good, things weren't exactly what he expected, given that Chris Evans' Captain America shoulders the bulk of the action. "They sold me that I was the second lead in the movie, so there's a point where Cap gets hurt, and do everything for Cap. And I get the script, and... that's not true," said Mackie, laughing. "I get hurt, not Cap!"

Lastly, on the quality level of the movie — and its relationship to the blockbuster "Marvel's The Avengers" — Mackie said, "It's good. It's very good, I don't want to blow it up. It's very different from the first 'Captain America.' To me, it's 'Avengers 1.5.' "

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" hits theaters on April 4, 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

According to the comic 'Winter soldier', the 'Bucky' character.. is supposed to be his friend who fell from the train.  He is discovered by the Soviets missing an arm and suffering from brain damage (amnesia).  He is rebuilt with a bionic arm and brainwashed into a political assassin.