Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit

slowen

Diversity is not simply black and white. If you want black models that is fine. I have no problem with that. State that exactly though. Don't hide behind lack of diversity. because it isn't accurate. It is a diverse line up.

Missing the point completely! It's not about what I want or do not want in regard to the SISE, I'm just pointing out that it's absurd to claim that the current line-up is "diverse".

Listen, I don't want to argue. No matter how right I am. you guys are pretty stubborn and United. I get what you want and I'm Ok with it and it's cool. You are just arguing it all wrong.

So your entire argument is essentially based on "I am right and you are all wrong". Okay. Should have said as much from the start and saved us all a lot of time. :) :thumbsup:

I think, me too that SI has indeed needs more representative models of diversity, ethnic and cultural. No true Asian models for example too... 

BUT, in other way, i don't see which others models deserve to be in SI, since Noemie Lenoir and Tyra, there is no real "black models stars"... to only speak of black models...

Missing the point completely! It's not about what I want or do not want in regard to the SISE, I'm just pointing out that it's absurd to claim that the current line-up is "diverse".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diverse

1. Differing one from another.

1. of a different kind, form, character, etc.; unlike.
2. of various kinds or forms; multiform.
Unless all the models are exactly the same, aren't they diverse? Even though they could be more diverse if they are different aren't they at least diverse to a degree?

eg. identical - different (diverse) - very different (very diverse)

Diversity in this context refers to ethnicity and - this is the key - representation (eg. race).  To argue otherwise is to engage in obfuscatory semantics.

The point of diversity in something like the SI Swimsuit issue is to promote women of all colors as beautiful.  That whiteness has been associated with traditional standards of beauty - and thus, contributes to the oppression of women of color - has been the subject of countless studies, discussions, and protests. 

Claiming diversity is satisfied by white women with various countries of origin is to miss the point entirely.

^ Thank You!

Here's the safety video from their partner Air New Zealand with Ariel, Chrissy, Hannah, Jessica and Christie. (Y)

/watch?v=SQDip9V49U0

Christie is looking

e27RFBX.jpg

nice :gocho:

Next year MJ is gonna put Chrissy on the cover just to spite us for figuring out all her ladies. :cry2:

It's just what I am resorting to since that is basically what I am getting thrown back at me. Only no one else is saying it.

I understand you feel attacked. Yes, you are right nationality representation is a type of diversity but what most members here are trying to convey is racial diversity and ethnicity. Most people when they look at SI are unaware of the nationality of the models b/c it is not something that is always easily perceived. However, ethnicity and race is b/c it is "visual". With that said, when looking at the SI line-up it is apparent there are significant numbers of Caucasian models and very little representation of Non-Caucasian models. Should they have models who are Non-Caucasian just for the sake of it? Not necessarily but if that is the only way Non-Caucasian models would have a chance to be considered then, sure why not. From a visual standard point it would be more appealing and pleasing if there was more of a variety---in other words more of an obvious "diversity" :)

source: eonline.com
Victoria's Secret Model Lily Aldridge Named One of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue's Top Rookies

"I'm so excited to be a part of this iconic issue! My photos were shot in the Cook Islands by James Macari and it was paradise," Aldridge said of her swimsuit shoot.

Amazing for her age. She had her time though. She shouldn't be on the cover anymore.

What? That arbitrary principle really gets you nowhere. You should have a threesome with common sense and logic.

It's SI's 50th, they are going to make it big (I hope) and it only makes sense to "honor" some past beauties which helped make SI the brand it became and is. And if the past cover ladies are up for it, the cover of the 50th yearly SI issue could be something different rather than just one model.

Don't know how Christie Brinkley managed to do it, but she looks amazing and really beautiful for her age.

Amazing for her age. She had her time though. She shouldn't be on the cover anymore.

What? That arbitrary principle really gets you nowhere. You should have a threesome with common sense and logic.

It's SI's 50th, they are going to make it big (I hope) and it only makes sense to "honor" some past beauties which helped make SI the brand it became and is. And if the past cover ladies are up for it, the cover of the 50th yearly SI issue could be something different rather than just one model.

Don't know how Christie Brinkley managed to do it, but she looks amazing and really beautiful for her age.

:yes:

Common sense and logic? There are people on here who don't want to see Kate Upton for a third time, but by all means or 60 year old Christie on the cover for her fourth. Logical and makes all the sense in the world.

Diversity in this context refers to ethnicity and - this is the key - representation (eg. race).  To argue otherwise is to engage in obfuscatory semantics.

The point of diversity in something like the SI Swimsuit issue is to promote women of all colors as beautiful.  That whiteness has been associated with traditional standards of beauty - and thus, contributes to the oppression of women of color - has been the subject of countless studies, discussions, and protests. 

Claiming diversity is satisfied by white women with various countries of origin is to miss the point entirely.

I just wish BZ had a LOVE button or something. This is beautiful and perfect. :hug:

Pretty interesting that when you google "diverse models", the one thing you don't get is a dozen blondes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diversity&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=PbX7Uq3SDer9ygO0soCYAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=950#q=diverse+models&safe=off&tbm=isch

Funny how that works. :p

BTW, none of this means that I think SI should be forced to have a more diverse cast, but it's absurd to pretend they currently have one.