Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2012 (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Clauds

Credit to: Mermaid In Love

AnaBBarrosFan you don`t need to credit me :flower:

Guys, by the way do we need credit pics we posted? :idk:

Because I didn`t credited any,I found them on Tfs

Currently, there is no rule requiring members to credit their sources. However, it still would be nice if you did :)

Rather naive (lack of worldliness?) from VS to now realize right away that would cause controversy.

Whether you believe that cultural appropriation is an actual issue or not, from a business standpoint, this is incredibly irresponsible and just asking for trouble.

HAHAHAHA...I KNEW they would get called out on it when I saw the outfit!!! :laugh:

Twice in one year, is it? Ouch! :p

WAIT WAIT .....

Candice , Miranda , Behati and Karlie... were the only ones that wear 3 outfits in the show? am i wrong...?

I believe so. And Candice got three wings (if you count those blue feathers as wings.)

OH I FORGOT! and Doutzen!

so wierd... anyways Candice was the best of all the show

I live in Aus so that stuff doesn't bother us. If it was done in a mean way it's different but it's just fun and costumey. Is it really a big deal? I get that it's sexualizing a culture and all but they're not doing anything offensive. Should they have dressed her as a pilgrim instead?

I'm still really impressed with everything. I wish they didn't do a slow song for Silver Screen Angels but Bruno is a good performer so when edited it will flow great. Now we have to wait a month. I love Adriana and Alessandra. If its their time up with the company I won't be upset because they've had such great careers at VS.

I live in Aus so that stuff doesn't bother us. If it was done in a mean way it's different but it's just fun and costumey. Is it really a big deal? I get that it's sexualizing a culture and all but they're not doing anything offensive. Should they have dressed her as a pilgrim instead?

I'm still really impressed with everything. I wish they didn't do a slow song for Silver Screen Angels but Bruno is a good performer so when edited it will flow great. Now we have to wait a month. I love Adriana and Alessandra. If its their time up with the company I won't be upset because they've had such great careers at VS.

It isn't about the sexualizing, actually. Read up a little bit on cultural appropriation and you'll get a better idea of why it's an issue. :)

when the majority culture attempts to strategically anti-essentialize themselves by appropriating a minority culture, they must take great care to recognize the specific socio-historical circumstances and significance of these cultural forms so as not the perpetuate the already existing, majority vs. minority, unequal power relations.

** from wiki

It isn't about the sexualizing, actually. Read up a little bit on cultural appropriation and you'll get a better idea of why it's an issue. :)

when the majority culture attempts to strategically anti-essentialize themselves by appropriating a minority culture, they must take great care to recognize the specific socio-historical circumstances and significance of these cultural forms so as not the perpetuate the already existing, majority vs. minority, unequal power relations.

** from wiki

Very interesting. I get what you're saying. I think for me its harder to understand because I live in Australia and we are a very multicultural country. And for us if someone dressed up in a funky aboriginal costume for example no one would get too offended because it would just seem fun as long as it wasn't offensive. Everyone's different but I see what you mean. Also if anything it's such a stereotypical look at the Native American culture.

"As a multi-racial panty company our foundation is built upon both diversity and consideration for other cultures. Our intention with our new Poke-a-hotass bra and panties set was never to offend, hurt or trivialize Native American people, their culture or their history. We consulted with Native American friends and Native American studies experts at the University of California, and they told us Disney got it all wrong. Chief Powhatan was really a skinny dirty blonde girl from Chicago who wore leopard panties and bought all of her jewelry at tourist shops in Santa Fe. We sincerely apologize on behalf of the dumb dumbs at Disney and all of the high school history teachers who obviously got the history of the Native American people wrong. They should really update their books or something. "

Oh dlisted :rofl:

Personally I am offended that VS thinks that Karlie Kloss is a good model for their brand :cain: well, at least they got rid of Anja... took them a few shows to realize she's not the best addition to the show but better late than never.

The U.S's history with Indeignous tribes is much different than Australia's. The U.S. has a long history of objectifying and fetishizing Native American women through imagery and actions. Not only that, the Thanksgiving holidays marks the the beginning of the European settlers onslaught on indigenous tribes. It is beyond belief that no one on the VS team or their marketing/PR board thought this might be a bad idea.

There are really only three thoughts I have in regards to the entire show:

1. The few good outfits were actually quite beautiful.

2. Cameron Russel needs to fill out a bit. Her figure is amazing, but when she's too thin she loses it all together.

3. Jacquelyn Jablonski is the ONLY model that stood out for me the entire night. She had ONE outfit and she still managed to shine up against girls I'm actually a fan of like Erin, Toni, and Jasmine.

Agree with the JJ part, I guess she is not VS type of girl but she always manage to rock her outfits no matter how ugly they are, that's why she always get casted