Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

I gotta give Matthew props... he's certainly turned his career around... I hear he's good in true detective as well. It gives everyone hope that if you have a couple of duds you can still have a Hollywood comeback. Same thing with Ben Affleck. If Leo ever loses his stride, I have faith he'll bounce back up. (Y)

Even Leo said sometimes your hot sometimes your not... no one really stays at the top of their game throughout their entire career. :)

In regards to the social media article.... Interesting. :)

I gotta give Matthew props... he's certainly turned his career around... I hear he's good in true detective as well. It gives everyone hope that if you have a couple of duds you can still have a Hollywood comeback. Same thing with Ben Affleck. If Leo ever loses his stride, I have faith he'll bounce back up. (Y)

He sure has! I haven't seen True Detective yet. I just think after seeing both, Leo's performance outshines, and he didn't have make any physical transformations to do it. It's all him. He's been nominated and snubbed too many times. He's had a few movies that maybe haven't done as well, but there's never a dud. He'll always have his stride and shine! :PinkCouture2: :PinkCouture2:

Around Man and the Iron Mask and The Beach that was a somewhat iffy time for Leo, he even got a Razzi award for Iron Mask :p

But he bounced back. (Y) Body of lies wasnt his best in terms of making bank/ critical success but again he bounced back. I think right now he's at his career best because of the three consecutive hits. :D

Yeah Leo hasn't done anything extreme like losing or gaining a ton of weight, he mentioned he doesn't partake in hardcore method acting. he wore a body suit/ prosthetics for Edgar but that doesn't really count. :p

Wonder if Leo and Toni went down to London together... right now is London Fashion week and she has a show card and of course tomorrow Leo will be there for the BAFTA's. :) I'm not really expecting pics because I get the feeling Leo will be there for a short time, and he seems to really be avoiding the paps these days... but who knows. :)

As much as I adore Leo and am rooting for him, I think it is Matthew's year. He has really stepped it up recently and done an amazing job in all his projects. Although I think Woody does a better job on True Detective, Matthew's performance is still noteworthy. He will at least get an Emmy nominations this year. You girls should check out the show sometime. It is an anthology series so it might be a different cast next season :)

BTW, if you girls like the TWOWS you should also check out House Of Lies. Also based on a non-fiction book and has a similar theme (greed, sex and money).

As for The Beach, Leo's performance was kinda "meh" but I still love the movie. One of my all-time favs! :hehe:

Well, I can't say nothing in regards to Mathew's performance in Dalla's Buyers because I didn't saw yet... but everything I hear is that he will win because of his weight loss. Off course it's a part of his work composition, but for me the most important thing is the ACTING, not if the actor lose or gain weight, I mean if loss of weight is more impressive than his performance and he's going to win because of this... that's absolutely not fair. I can't give my own opinion of his performance yet since I have to watch the movie first, but I've seen critics saying Chitewel and Leo deserves more than him, but IDK what academy members think. :idk:  

I can say the part Mathew did in Wolf was great, really great. But I can't help but say Leo's performance in Wolf was just terrific, it's brilliant and fearless and if he wins it will be VERY WELL DESERVED.

And I understand when people say that Mathew reinvented himself because it's a true fact he used to do silly comedies in a not remote past... so my congrats for him to chance his career in another direction. But I see in Leo's case a similar thing, I mean Leo has been in such sucessful movies recently but apart from Calvin Candie that already brought some kind of humor and maybe his Frank Abagnale in CMIYC... but his other characters has been all dramatics. So this time Leo came with something new, a humor I never saw him doing in any other performance, a physical performance I never saw before, apart from his powerful acting on this movie and I'am not saying this because I'am his fan, I'am saying because I was impressed while watching him, I was like: "this is another side of leo", it's another level of acting. If it's about to prove something different, Leo has proved as well.

Not disrespecting any of the other conterders for this year Oscar race and I'am sure all of them deserve the award, but it really makes me a bit bored when people say it's not Leo's year... why not? Why it's always the other actor time... Leo's turn never comes... it always have someone that was "better than him" or "deserved more than him". This bothers me.  :(

I respect other people opinion and different points of view, still this is how I honestly feel.

I find it beneficial to me knowing that Matthew is the frontrunner because when/ if Leo loses i wont be all that disapointed because I expected it to happen/ prepped myself for it. I think what also lessens the blow for me is simply the fact that Leo was nominated because at one point it wasnt looking too good due to the controversy and content of the film. :hehe: I see it as a great honour in itself. Plus the several other awards he won this year. :D

I have yet to watch House of lies. :p

Oh and finally IMDB updated his page to include his fifth Oscar nomination for producing Wolf. :hehe:

Off course it's a part of his work composition, but for me the most important thing is the ACTING, not if the actor lose or gain weight, I mean if loss of weight is more impressive than his performance and he's going to win because of this... that's absolutely not fair.

Exactly  :PinkCouture2:

Nobody exactly knows what happens on Oscar night but if loss of weight is more important than performance so the biggest losers should win Oscars for that  :nicole:

p.s.Matthew didn`t get BAFTA nomination for his weight loss  :hehe: 

someone post this at awardswatch forum

I know. It's all in the Bible, the story of the lost son who squandered his inheritance:

“But while Matthew was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

“Matthew said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; Matthew was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

“Meanwhile, the other son, Leonardo, was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. ‘Your brother Matthew has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

“Leo became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this fucking shirtless wonder McBongo who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

“‘My son Leonardo,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; Matthew was lost and is found.’”

The role of the father was played by the ghost of Ernest Borgnine.

I'm with Leo. He never even got a young goat! post-59785-0-1446080588-90895_thumb.gif

http://awardswatch.com/forums/showthread.php?34696-Best-Actor-Nominations-Reaction-Thread/page11

It will be so unfair if Matthew win no matter how great his perfomance is  :cry2:

It's pretty subjective. Some will think Matthew gave the better performance, some will think Leo gave the better performance. Probably Matthew fans would side with Matthew. One winning over the other doesn't take anything away from the other in my eyes. :) Matthew winning doesn't take anything from Leo's amazing performance and Leo winning doesn't take away the fact that Matthew was great too. :)

(By the way... I'm not a Matthew fan)

Some will think Matthew gave the better performance, some will think Leo gave the better performance,  so why if you had to 'chose' not reward the actor=Leo who has turned in consistent /award worthy performances for the past 20 years versus an actor =Matthew who has only in the last two years had any performances of note  :huh: 

^I feel like they should too, but they don't. IMO it seems they like to reward people who have a performance that is out of the norm for them/totally different than their past work, than just the performance in question. I think they look at how far the actor stretched himself from his past work, not just how this particular performance as a whole. 

And I think they like to reward people who normally do comedies that perform in dramas because they feel that is harder (mathew) than a person who normally does drama and performs in a comedy (leo). So I think Mathews chances are slightly higher. I haven't seen DBC but I can't deny Mathew is a pretty good actor, he just chooses to do crappy movies :rofl: Leo consistently does great movies, which I guess there is no drastic change in how great he is, therefore his performance is rarely noted in awards or oscars. Hes so good, its just expected of him :p

Still this was one of leos best performances (if not THE BEST) so I feel like this Oscar is definetly deserving..

------------

MakeItCount thanks for the Leo and Toni article, I wished we could have gotten pics :p Shes been quiet on her instagram, so I assume shes headed over to London with him. Hopefully at the very least we'll get some after party pics/articles from the BAFTAS tonight of the two! 

I agree with all your points ladies. I'm not denying Matthew did a great job. For me though, Jared Leto was the stand out in the entire film. He was excellent and deserves every award given for his performance. I actually enjoyed Matthew's performance in Wolf more.  Leo has just been more consistent with his roles and has made better film choices. But like you all said that shouldn't matter. I agree with joyezz on some level though, that it would be unfair to Leo if Matthew wins. He's just been shut out by the Academy too many times, but I guess we can't control what the Oscar voters are thinking.

After watching DBC last night I went on Youtube to watch some clips again from Wolf. I just feel watching the performances back to back there's really no comparison. Leo stands out to me every time! :clap:

So today at work in the lunchroom, I over heard two girls talking about Leo and all the Oscar jokes on the Internet.. they were laughing about it. Then they said "but seriously it's depressing that Leo doesn't have an Oscar." Then they were talking about his nominations. It was just neat to hear random people discussing Leo outside of the Internet. :p Leo is definitely the fan favorite... it shows that so many consider him to be a great actor... He's SUPER popular.. I love it.

^ that's good to hear. :hehe:

Well we all saw how actor Will poulter was gushing about Leo at the BAFTA's ..... In the past he also mentioned how Leo was one of the actors he looks up to.

http://www.teenvogue.com/entertainment/movies/2013-08/will-poulter-interview

The actor, Michael B Jordan brought up Leo's name in an interview.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/want-599488-time-don.html

And here's a vid, where Michael mentions that he almost wanted to jump Leo when he walked by/ he called Leo "the man" :p

Not about Leo directly... but here's Leo's mom's boyfriends daughter (had to phrase it like that to show the leo relation lol) telling her husband Patrick Carney to not talk to the paps lol. Patrick doesnt want to listen to her...It's cute haha, but I can tell Patrick was getting irritated. :p

This couple is close to Leo and Toni as we know.