Bellazon

Game of Thrones

wickedcrazyness

1 hour ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I thought this was the weakest season in terms of the writing.

Probably not a coincidence they had no more GRRM material to adapt.

It was entertaining, but not all of it felt like the Game of Thrones as I grew to love in the earlier seasons.

Definitely not a coincidence.

3 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I thought this was the weakest season in terms of the writing.

Probably not a coincidence they had no more GRRM material to adapt.

It was entertaining, but not all of it felt like the Game of Thrones as I grew to love in the earlier seasons.

I finally watched this episode and I consider it the weakest one of the season.  About 2/3rds of the scenes didn't really work for me.  I agree that the writing for S7 is the weakest one.  It seems like the best writing, directing, and acting was in S1-S4.  I liked S5 and S6 well enough.

This episode had very mixed direction.  It was meant to be drawn out and have a lot of emotional impact but the contradictions and plotlines didn't seem logical enough to attach me to the flow.  The first half of them at the dragon pit was very drawn out and not well directed.  No tension, really.  I thought that they should have transported such high ranking persons on horse trains instead of marching on foot.

The death of LF was too simplistic and out of character (apparently LF's archilles heel was his fixation with Sansa and her mother.  He was a dead man walking since S6, as I have posted  before), the romance of Jon/Dany didn't really ring for me and Psycho Arya came too sudden.  Theon's arc also rang false for me. He was basically a full-on loser that nobody should follow.  Tyrion has been very depressed for the entire season.

I found the writing for the season and this episode to be overall more shallow than in prior seasons- there isn't that much substance and sucker punch.  Lena Headley, who is a great actress seemed to show a bit of restraint as she worked through the scenes.  I think even she knew that the material she was working with was a little awkward.  The rest of the cast is also acting without the old level of panache' and conviction.

I still like GOT a lot and will be looking forward to S8.  I really enjoyed the clip of King's Landing at the end.  Overall, the first 5 episodes of the season was the most enjoyable for me and Episode 4 was my favorite.

Just thoughts:

The character of Littlefinger reminds me of Machievelli, Charlton Heston (Omega Man), and the main character from the I am Legend movies.  It also reminds me of the "Millionaire next door" and "Old Money."  This is the Warren Buffet  trait in American society that is financially prosperous but at the same time, anti- materialistic and aimed at more income and control.   And the Robert Moses, the king of New York. They aim at win win situations and not fights. They don't care about visible status very much and this fact helps ensure their longevity.

There's the idea of the "meek inheriting the earth"  and the concept of the omega male/ape.  In the wild, the alpha apes fight their way to the top of ape status (and then initiate an orgy of sex on the female apes) but their reign is fleeting (days, hours even) as they quickly become a target of the other apes and is sometimes even beaten to death.  "Those that shine twice as bright burn half as long.."  The omega ape is the sneaky, non-confrontational one that takes advantage of the chaos/frenzy. LF even said: "chaos is a ladder".

It would have been interesting to watch  some sort of deep, piercing, and original commentary / mockery of this trait - something that only Martin could have pulled off.

In regards to the show, the wait to find out about all of the characters has been so long all of these years, books and show wise, that I'll just go with it. The show is still my fav of alltime, the writing has gone a bit sour, but the character development is gold, the actors are perfect and the visuals help strenghten the show, even if some storylines get some loose ends.