Bellazon

Accents you like, and accents you don't like

k_dub

Another thing I don't like about the English is their slang. In America, when we pissed, we are angry. In England, when they are pissed, they are drunk. In America, when we are drunk, we are faded( at least that we say in Cali).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how are you gonna understand 'basic slang' if you can't even pronounce words like 'tomato' correctly? :whistle:

English accent: Don't like it. They sound snooty and arrogant, even though I'm sure many English people aren't like that. The Aussies sound similar so I'm not too fond ot their accents either.

:cry:

aussies sound nothing like britons :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what he said :anger:

I like the British accent, at least the ones that are understandable...too bad not many are :no:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

even i have trouble with geordies and some scousers. cockney people can be a little challenging to understand. brummies are cool. i am like dialect neutral but sometimes start doing like a midlands accent for some reason.

scottish accent annoys me.

the welsh accent is wicked. i wish that i had a welsh accent!

the australian accent is cool. it sounds really good from women and in men it is hilarious and kinda 'rowdy'-ish, if that makes any sense.

people from NZ sound exactly the same as australians to me which totally confounds me.

personally i don't think that american people recognise the variety within england and the uk as a whole in terms of dialect and that they think that all english people walk around in suits and bowler hats speaking the queen's english . . . as we obviously do ;) .

mind, i equate all australians to Neighbours characters pretty much. Ed you can be Harold :laugh: . Adriana's Llama would possibly be Skye. and Persuazn . . . hmm . . . i dunno, possibly Serena or else Sindy with a bit less of the mad personality and less of the accidents. :) [i don't mean to insult anyone. if you beg to differ then please say] . . . i think that i would prob be Toadie or Connor . . . Neighbours rocks!! :fun:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:laugh: I'm Harold!!!! :woot:

:fun: :fun: :fun:

pssst...who's Harold? I don't watch Neighbours...

and New Zealanders sound funny... they can't pronounce fish and chips properly... they say 'fush and chups' :laugh: I can't describe, but it's cool :p

Russian: AWESOME! i wanna go to russia and get me one. hahaha! i also wanna meet a russian person and force them to say "in russia, you dont drive car, car drives you!" many many times

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have quite a few staff from Eastern Europe where I work :laugh: Maybe you can come in a poke them with a stick :laugh:

English accent: Don't like it. They sound snooty and arrogant, even though I'm sure many English people aren't like that. The Aussies sound similar so I'm not too fond ot their accents either.

:cry:

aussies sound nothing like britons :laugh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what he said :anger:

I like the British accent, at least the ones that are understandable...too bad not many are :no:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

even i have trouble with geordies and some scousers. cockney people can be a little challenging to understand. brummies are cool. i am like dialect neutral but sometimes start doing like a midlands accent for some reason.

the australian accent is cool. it sounds really good from women and in men it is hilarious and kinda 'rowdy'-ish, if that makes any sense.

people from NZ sound exactly the same as australians to me which totally confounds me.

personally i don't think that american people recognise the variety within england and the uk as a whole in terms of dialect and that they think that all english people walk around in suits and bowler hats speaking the queen's english . . . as we obviously do ;) .

mind, i equate all australians to Neighbours characters pretty much. Ed you can be Harold :laugh: . Adriana's Llama would possibly be Skye. and Persuazn . . . hmm . . . i dunno, possibly Serena or else Sindy with a bit less of the mad personality and less of the accidents. :) [i don't mean to insult anyone. if you beg to differ then please say] . . . i think that i would prob be Toadie or Connor . . . Neighbours rocks!! :fun:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:laugh: I'm Harold!!!! :woot:

:fun: :fun: :fun:

pssst...who's Harold? I don't watch Neighbours...

and New Zealanders sound funny... they can't pronounce fish and chips properly... they say 'fush and chups' :laugh: I can't describe, but it's cool :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's harold:

whos_harold_0050.gif

:laugh:

i should point out that there is not much logic to my distribution of neighbours characters.

neighbours is pretty popular in the UK especially amongst students. the acting is pretty dodgy but it is really light-hearted and is cool. gotta love neighbours! :fun:

that's harold:

whos_harold_0050.gif

:laugh:

i should point out that there is not much logic to my distribution of neighbours characters.

neighbours is pretty popular in the UK especially amongst students. the acting is pretty dodgy but it is really light-hearted and is cool. gotta love neighbours!  :fun:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I know him... :rofl: He looks like a 96 year old with the mentality of a 1 year old :rofl: He fits my description prefectly!

Just so y'all know....I don't have an accent. I've been told that many times. People can't tell where I'm from because I speak in such plain English. If you don't believe me, I'll post my phone # and you can call me...lol Of course if you do I might just put on a great southern accent to fool ya. ;)

English: When I can understand it it's cool. I grew up with alot of Monty Python so even though I don't actually know any brits, I do well when i watch The Office (the original version). Sometimes they speak too fast though.

Irish: It's a fun sounding accent but hell if I can understand a word of what those guys say.

Swedish: Don't know if I've ever heard 'em.

Russian: Don't have a preference here. I can usually undestand it well enough, so that's cool. A sexy woman's voice is very nice with this accent though.

Spanish: Very nice. Especially when spoken well.

German accents: Rough sounding but not bad to me.

Brazilians: I've never known anyone from Brazil. A girl from Venezuela (sexy accent), a guy from Equador (cool accent), a girl from Puerto Rico (nice accent). Also, I met some very friendly girls from Columbia when I was down in Aruba....they didn't speak English but they had very sweet voices...did I mention they were very friendly? ;)

Asian accents: Known people from China, Japan, Vietnam and Laos. I've gotten used to the various accents, which are pretty similar when speaking English...at least to me. It can be annoying if you can't understand, but that the same as any accent. Oriental languages are very different so the translations are much more difficult...knowing this makes me a little more patient.

New York accents: As long as it doesn't come with the attitude. :p

Philly accents: Don't know what it sounds like.

Midwest accents: Even though I was born in St. Louis I still find this one a strange accent. I only hear it when I talk to a few of my family from there and it still strikes me as odd.

Boston Accent: Dude, there's a letter in the alphabet....it's an "R" Sheesh!

Southern accents: I'm used to this one, hearing it alot growing up in Houston. It can bug me if it gets too thick.

Baltimore accents: WTF? they have an accent too?

California: Never been west of the Rockies.

Another thing I don't like about the English is their slang. In America, when we pissed, we are angry. In England, when they are pissed, they are drunk. In America, when we are drunk, we are faded( at least that we say in Cali).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how are you gonna understand 'basic slang' if you can't even pronounce words like 'tomato' correctly? :whistle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you know?! You ever been to Cali? And if you been, to you meet any native Californians?! Oh yeah, since you want talk about pronounciation, you English can't even CUSS RIGHT!!! When you guys say "fuck", it sounds like "fook". Plus, its "ass", not "arse". And when to you guys add the "e" to "shit"?!

Jimmy Changa Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

"Just so y'all know....I don't have an accent. I've been told that many times. People can't tell where I'm from because I speak in such plain English."

Well, Jimmy, you are one of the few. Some actors and actresses take voice lessons to lose their accents, or for some roles, to gain ones. By the way, if you wanna know how a Baltimore accent sounds, go and get the "The Wire" on DVD and check out the character named Omar. When they say "Baltimore" they usually drops the "r" and the "e", and they barely pronounce the "t" and it usually has a "d" sound to it. I'm used to it, since my dad was raised there.

personally i don't think that american people recognise the variety within england and the uk as a whole in terms of dialect and that they think that all english people walk around in suits and bowler hats speaking the queen's english . . . as we obviously do

English accent: I love it :heart:

Irish accent: It is kinda funny hehe

Russian: I can talk in a Russian accent it is fun!

Spanish: Love it!

German accents: mmmmm

Brazilians: Sexy

Asian accents: Their accents can make them sound dumb sometimes :whistle:

U.S. accents: Like it!

Aussie: hehe it is cute

SOUTH AFRICAN accent: HOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!haha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How would you know?! You ever been to Cali? And if you been, to you meet any native Californians?! Oh yeah, since you want talk about pronounciation, you English can't even CUSS RIGHT!!! When you guys say "fuck", it sounds like "fook". Plus, its "ass", not "arse". And when to you guys add the "e" to "shit"?!

Jimmy Changa Posted Yesterday, 08:32 PM

"Just so y'all know....I don't have an accent. I've been told that many times. People can't tell where I'm from because I speak in such plain English."

Well, Jimmy, you are one of the few. Some actors and actresses take voice lessons to lose their accents, or for some roles, to gain ones. By the way, if you wanna know how a Baltimore accent sounds, go and get the "The Wire" on DVD and check out the character named Omar. When they say "Baltimore" they usually drops the "r" and the "e", and they barely pronounce the "t" and it usually has a "d" sound to it. I'm used to it, since my dad was raised there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

note the derivations of the word "arse" and the word "ass"

Middle English 'ars', from Old English 'ears'. 'ors'- in Indo-European Roots

note that all have an 'r'. american english has a bastardized version of this word. i refuse to cede to 'ass' . . . :blah:

the variety of dialects in the uk means that people in various regions pronounce things very differently. in fact i find it rather difficult to understand Geordies. you have clearly been talking to someone from up north or else a scotsman if they have made those schoolboy errors with their language.

do you not understand 'shite'? 'shit' and 'shite' are interchangeable . . . :)

btw, i have been to many regions of the USA and have sampled many different dialects. i have been to California on several occasions (SF and LA also did the whole Grand Canyon and Las Vegas thing), have driven through the deep south thrice, have been to Atlanta three times, have been to Florida on many occasions and have been to New York twice as well as briefly stopping in Philadelphia on one occasion. so indeed i have sampled a wide variety of your dialects. i feel that your sampling of the british dialects is probably less comprehensive than my sampling of your dialects.

btw, in the deep south they can't even pronounce 'water' correctly :o . . . sickening

sadly you speak a very bastardized version of the english language and many americans believe that only they speak real english. :(

personally i don't think that american people recognise the variety within england and the uk as a whole in terms of dialect and that they think that all english people walk around in suits and bowler hats speaking the queen's english . . . as we obviously do