Bellazon

Supermodels

alisa

WWD@100: Remarkable Moments In Fashion

Moment 67: The Supes

The Nineties ushered in the era of the supermodel. Those leggy, statuesque girls not only got the press, the glamour, the cachet, the boyfriends, the exposure and the lifestyle, but, in some cases, the money that movie stars were used to. A legion of five—Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford (one-time waif Kate Moss would soon join their ranks)—popularized the term, although many other models became household names during the decade. The supermodels were heavily in demand, dominating fashion runways both in the U.S. and abroad, magazine covers and print and TV ad campaigns. A top model could earn $100,000 on a single print campaign for a designer, and several raked in millions annually with multiyear contracts. In Europe, some of the top models, such as Nadja Auermann, Evangelista, Shalom Harlow and Campbell, got at least $10,000 per runway show, and in some cases, up to $18,000 per show. Fees had escalated so much in the U.S. too, that in 1993, several designers tried to cap model fees during the Bryant Park shows. As WWD reported, the Federal Trade Commission investigated and subpoenaed several SA firms, and ultimately 7th on Sixth and the CFDA reached an agreement with the FTC that as a group, they would never set modeling fees again. From then on, models were paid whatever the market would bear. Today, the likes of a Natalia Vodianova or Gisele Bündchen can pull down six figures for a single runway exit (plus a dinner party appearance for good measure).

A week didn't go by when one of the girls didn't secure a major fragrance or fashion campaign, fronting such brands as Versace, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Guess, L'Oréal, Maybelline, Chanel and Victoria's Secret, and designers were outspoken about their work. "Linda is the best for photos," Karl Lagerfeld told WWD in 1995. "She is divine, unique! She is not a perfect beauty, but she has something nobody else has." Schiffer turned heads the first time she strode down the Milan runways in 1991. "She's beautiful, but she can't walk," said Alan Cleaver, explaining why Byblos didn't hire Schiffer like the rest of Milan in her first runway season. "I will get on the runway myself and teach her how to walk," Giorgio Armani told WWD in 1991.

Supermodels made headlines when they changed hair color from brunette to blonde, bought and sold condos in New York, swaggered into parties after a fashion show or displayed divalike behavior such as being late for runway shows or throwing cell phones. But they weren't always posing for the camera, and a few girls became entrepreneurs themselves. "I love to be in front of the camera, but there are other things I want to do. Singing, getting up on a stage and giving it my all— that would be fun," Campbell told WWD in 1990. Campbell appeared in a few movies and had a jeans collection; Crawford hosted MTV's "House of Style" and launched a furniture line and fitness videos; Turlington developed a yoga line; Moss created a near frenzy at Topshop, and Campbell, Schiffer and Elle Macpherson signed on as partners in a restaurant (the forgettable and short-lived Fashion Cafe in Rockefeller Center). Even Elite Model Management introduced a junior sportswear and accessories collection targeted at the supermodels' admirers. What We Wear by Elite Models kicked off with the biggies: Evangelista, Campbell, Amber Valletta and Harlow.

post-13850-1289309687_thumb.jpg

Rock Stars and Models (1993)

The Pulse investigates why rock stars go out with models. Interview clips with Christy Turlington, Slash, David Bowie, Bryan Ferry, Yasmin Le Bon, Terence Trent D'Arby, Karl Lagerfeld, Kate Moss, Simon Le Bon, Naomi Campbell, Andre Leon Talley, Helena Christensen, Michael Hutchence (r.i.p.), and Nick Rhodes and John Taylor of Duran Duran.

• 1 month later...

oh no not Naomi! She looks like Donatella Versace in black!!

Cindy is using too much botox but i am sure she will look fine without it.

Same thing about Elle. Her forhead is completly frozen and her eyes are :|

Estelle Lefebure aged nice too.

Christy, yes.

Yasmin Lebon, yes.

I'd like to know how Yameen Ghauri looks like today?

Beri aged nice too as well as Helena Christensen even if i think she looks a bit older than her age (face) but her body is still amazing.

Tatajana Patitz and Pauline Porizkova are still amazing. Stephanie Seymour too.

there is a recent pic of Yasmeen that surfed on the web recently, i saw it a couple of days ago, very small pic, but she looked great, smiling and everything...looked like she was sitting on some football arena or something....i'm regretting i didn't save it right away, for it was a very small random pic, but if i find it again i'll post it here, if i remember the website....by the way, i think Christy is the one who aged the best out of them all, Stephanie, Tatjana, Paulina, Kathy & Yasmin are still pretty good too (i think none of them with "extra help", correct me if i'm wrong).....what about Claudia, Linda, Eva, Carla & Karen? you guys listed everyone but them.... :p

I think Eva aged really good too, when she is not too thin. Linda even if she's my all time fave (and yes still looks good) she didn't age the best :/ forgot about Carla! I think she still looks great. Karen got too much plastic surgery :( and Claudia..she still looks pretty good, but is pale and too thin now. I liked va va voom claudia.

Oh I'd love to see that pic of Yasmeen! she has been unseen since 1998 no? and I love Niki but I'm not digging her soccer mom look <_<

Just like she said!!

I think Claudia is not aging well at all. But for her defense i don't think she is using "extra" help to look younger.

Claudia always had a problem with her eyelids and now that she is getting older her eyelids are like completely falling on her eyes.

Niki Taylor is aging nice but her "mom look" is not attractive at all it's true. And the poor Karen Mulder? I guess we will never know how she would look like without the surgeries?

Carla is aging well but i think she looks ugly today. Too much surgeries.

And i prefer Eva today than 15 years ago.

post-19830-1295717507_thumb.jpg

Linda Envangelista sounds good, I think she has not changed much.

Cindy is not bad, but I would never say that she was once so beautiful! but people have to grow old!

Karen Mulder for me is what is worse, not look the same! Changed feature!

Christy Turlington is not bad, but I never found it very beautiful, I hardly know to evaluate!

Eva Herzigova, Stephanie, Elle Macpherson are fine as far as possible!

Claudia was always my favorite, maybe that's why I notice much difference in it!

She once entered the 30, soon changed! She was so beautiful, and began to get worse every year, very light hair and little volume, very pale skin!

Yet in the last year has been better and I quite enjoyed the work of fashion that she has done, it seems to me very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Christie,Elle,Christy,Veronika,Beverly,Cheryl,Stephanie,Paulina will be on Oprah this Friday for a mini model reunion. (bout time!)

I have wondered why Oprah had never had a reunion show on The Supermodels yet. Although too bad it's not the big timers; Cindy,Linda,Christy,Claudia,Naomi,Helena,Niki,Stephanie in one room.

oh yeah how could I forget ^ Maybe even Yasmeen too. (I think that sounds too good to be true) :blush:

I'm really excited to see Stephanie and Christy T because it seems like they are so out of the spotlight in recent times (I mean as far as being on tv goes). can't wait to see what they have to say.

• 3 months later...