Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

3 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

you get paid to do entertainment?  I read documents like that to educate myself :laugh:

Thats cute.

Nope, entertainment is on the opposite spectrum of what I do.

normal citizens should be more educated on these matters. Unfortunately, Keeping up with the Kardashians seem to be more important.

6 minutes ago, elfstone said:

Are you familiar with the work of one C. Christine Fair? She knows Al-Qaeda's shit inside out :p  Formerly with Rand CORP. Professor at UChicago or UVirginia these days

To clarify, I like reading primary source documents (but not on the war on terror) and books on subjects that interest me.  While sometimes biased with an agenda, they are more pure than, say, an analysis that strings together a collection of sources.

3 minutes ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

Thats cute.

Nope, entertainment is on the opposite spectrum of what I do.

normal citizens should be more educated on these matters. Unfortunately, Keeping up with the Kardashians seem to be more important.

vague answer

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

To clarify, I like reading primary source documents (but not on the war on terror) and books on subjects that interest me.  While sometimes biased with an agenda, they are more pure than, say, an analysis that strings together a collection of sources.

Jihadi propaganda( al qaeda+daesh) can hardly be considered of any literary significance. Most of them plagiarize from other vigilante/extreme ideologues (loosely non-militant type ie with a dubious stance on militancy :/  ). Take for instance that Baghdadi fellow,  the ringleader of ISIL , his first address was mostly paraphrased version of a Pakistani Ideologue named Mawdudi.

2 minutes ago, elfstone said:

Jihadi propaganda( al qaeda+daesh) can hardly be considered of any literary significance. Most of them plagiarize from other vigilante/extreme ideologues (loosely non-militant type ie with a dubious stance on militancy :/  ). Take for instance that Baghdadi fellow,  the ringleader of ISIL , his first address was mostly paraphrased version of a Pakistani Ideologue named Mawdudi.

Reading propaganda (eg. when a politician's lips move) has value if your purpose is to understand the influencing intent of the message.  You don't have the read in the details necessarily but skim through the gist of  things.  This requires certain expertise in understanding the perspective and objectives of the source.

8 minutes ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

lol

If you are a writer of sorts, most political writing is in the area of entertainment and has little practical use or even insight.  Nothing wrong with entertainment; most of the US economy produces services and goods of little intrinsic value. Otherwise you are being too vague to get the fleeting recognition of what you are saying so I guess it ends here.

4 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Reading propaganda (eg. when a politician's lips move) has value if your purpose is to understand the influencing intent of the message.  You don't have the read in the details necessarily but skim through the gist of  things.  This requires certain expertise in understanding the perspective and objectives of the source.

In all honesty I (wrongly) used word 'propaganda' for lack of a better word. Jihadi texts  lack the subtlety and mystification associated with anything with sufficient propaganda value. 

6 minutes ago, elfstone said:

In all honesty I (wrongly) used word 'propaganda' for lack of a better word. Jihadi texts  lack the subtlety and mystification associated with anything with sufficient propaganda value. 

what has led you to believe this and do you have any related expertise?

Real expertise? no.  But I did study a handful of courses in history of Islamic thought in my junior year, which inevitably included reading and critiquing some nasty stuff, mostly concerning 20th century Islamic thought.  :ninja:  

Anyway, my bone of contention was the status of jihadi texts as primary sources.   In my opinion If anybody wants to examine  the rotten core of Jihadi thought, they need to read a bit of that Mawdudi guy. He looms large, so much so that large segment  of Mainstream Muslims pay homage to him, including Jihadis. His organization received a little funding from US too, during the cold war :p

2 hours ago, elfstone said:

Real expertise? no.  But I did study a handful of courses in history of Islamic thought in my junior year, which inevitably included reading and critiquing some nasty stuff, mostly concerning 20th century Islamic thought.  :ninja:  

Anyway, my bone of contention was the status of jihadi texts as primary sources.   In my opinion If anybody wants to examine  the rotten core of Jihadi thought, they need to read a bit of that Mawdudi guy. He looms large, so much so that large segment  of Mainstream Muslims pay homage to him, including Jihadis. His organization received a little funding from US too, during the cold war :p

This sounds a bit aggressive but it's not:  Basically a non expert and probably a non-muslim then.  The fact that you put down a moral judgement shows a red flag.  A historian is beyond such things and seeks to clarify perspective.  Perspective is not easy to develop. 

Crusading appeal to some more than the boredom of 'bourgeois' life.