Bellazon

Natalia Vodianova
Thumbnail

Evelyn

wow, thanks so much!

Mainly it is about the upcoming White Love Ball (July 6, Paris, Valentino's mansion), which sounds absolutely amazing in its idea and effort, but the first page is quite shocking, raised my brows.... The author seems to be very familiar with Natalia (in fact she has a nickname for him Crocodile, because his first name is Gena and crocodile Gena is the famous cartoon character in Russian animation, my own little 2-year old son is in love with him currently) - from at least about 10 years ago but could not call her that often in the past because...

Here is the first shocker, it says that in the past Justin never welcomed Russian phone calls to Natalia. But now, "one can dial Natalia's home without hesitation", implication being that Justin is out of the house, of course. Second, to answer "how have you been ?" Natalia says: "Well, you probably know. In the last 1.5 year I have been feeling like a different person..."

Hmm... so, why hasn't she confirmed the obvious yet, I wonder...? She is always dropping the hints, but never admits the separation. In fact, she goes all the way to deny it. Thanks, pautinka!

I agree, and even here, you cannot put a valence onto her words - she has been feeling like a different person (literal translation) - liberated, lonely, good, bad?..

I agree, and even here, you cannot put a valence onto her words - she has been feeling like a different person (literal translation) - liberated, lonely, good, bad?..

See? Exactly my point! You cannot put a valence onto her words, it's just something there, in between the lines.

But let's see: one year and a half goes all the way back to the end of 2009, beginning of 2010. By the end of 2009, Justin skipped Etam's fashion show. Natalia was alone then, and I found that rather odd, but - at that time - it meant nothing, because Justin was always with her. So what, if he misses one event or another? But then, the divorce rumors started (January 2010?). Justin made two more appearances and that was it.

They both had plenty of occasions to confirm the separation - but, when confronted with the question, they both denied it. Justin was a little more positive in his answers, albeit a lot more sarcastic. I don't understand why don't they just do like other celebrities: make a joint statement, kill the curiosity and move on. The way it is now, with all these hints and innuendos, rumors, gossip, it's so much worse! And the fact that you blatantly deny something that you'll have to admit later on is a huge problem; it means that you have something to hide, which is honey for paparazzi.

I don't know, there's something that doesn't fit in this story.

I have to admit that the shocker was to read that, in the past, phone calls from Russia were not exactly welcomed in the household. :(

I have to admit that the shocker was to read that, in the past, phone calls from Russia were not exactly welcomed in the household. :(

I find it a bit shocking too.....maybe their apparent paradise was not exactly a paradise. I'm sure Justin is a good guy, but maybe a little bit strange sometimes....I think he is a kind of dreamy guy, you know a bit clumsy, in his thoughts, not really caring about what's going on....

I'm a bit like him too but never answer the phone for his wife ! That's a bit too much...

Maybe was he really shy to answer in russian :p ?

Maybe he didn't like them, these russian friends...?

It's not very difficult to answer the phone for someone else, even in a foreign language, and even in russian ! His wife is russian, he spent a lot of time with her, enough to be able to say "for Natalia ? Ok!" and give her the phone..or say "she is not here, in 2 hours, 2 days, she will be here" if it's the case.

And to me, "different" sounds like positive. like she had a good renewal in her life.(but I'm probably too much influenced by french!) Maybe we don't know much about what's really going on with her.

I find it a bit shocking too.....maybe their apparent paradise was not exactly a paradise. I'm sure Justin is a good guy, but maybe a little bit strange sometimes....I think he is a kind of dreamy guy, you know a bit clumsy, in his thoughts, not really caring about what's going on....

I'm a bit like him too but never answer the phone for his wife ! That's a bit too much...

Maybe was he really shy to answer in russian :p ?

Maybe he didn't like them, these russian friends...?

It's not very difficult to answer the phone for someone else, even in a foreign language, and even in russian ! His wife is russian, he spent a lot of time with her, enough to be able to say "for Natalia ? Ok!" and give her the phone..or say "she is not here, in 2 hours, 2 days, she will be here" if it's the case.

And to me, "different" sounds like positive. like she had a good renewal in her life.(but I'm probably too much influenced by french!) Maybe we don't know much about what's really going on with her.

Yeah, I imagine that it must be some sort of cultural shock. Maybe he doesn't much understand Russian and finds the situation awkward. Maybe he didn't much like her friends from the past, or from her then present, because they belonged to "another world"... really, it's not uncommon for spouses. I don't know.

Different can be a good thing, but there we go again, it's just something she says that needs some more comment and she simply doesn't elaborate. If she's happy and exclaims that she feels different, it's good. I can't read the text in full, but the way pautinka put it, I'm not sure, I got the idea that she said that in a glum sort of way. Only a Russian speaker can get the nuance.

Guys,

sorry that I did not include previously the exact words but I just wanted to clarify something and not mislead you.

It does not sound from the article that Justin himself did not like to answer the phone calls coming from Russia, it just said that the calls in general were not welcome. It is in the very first paragraph, which would translate literally to:

"I have Natalia's phone number for about 10 yeas, since the time of her St.-Petersburg's wedding. I did not often phoned Natalia because the second viscount Justin Trevor Berkley Portman did not exactly like his wife's countrymen. Now, it appears, one can dial 12-digit number without worry to cause someone dissatisfaction" .

So you can see now that he did not like the people calling from Russia, and not just having to answer them himself (which could be due to shyness, you are right). Which is very strange, but maybe some of those countrymen behaved inappropriately towards Natalia or displayed not very civil manners. I want to refrain to jumping to any conclusions about Justin on this point since so little information is provided and simply because I remember in the past noticing myself pictures of Natalia hanging out with slightly questionable characters in Russia. But they certainly qualified questionable to me, not to everyone!

In terms of the valence of "I feel like a different person" - there is absolutely nothing in the article that could give a hint as to whether it sounded gloomy or positive, absolutely none. the author asks how she's been and she says what I already translated for you ("Well, you probably know. In the last 1.5 year I have been feeling like a different person...").

It is a conundrum and it is clear she prefers to keep it this way :blush:

But the event (The White Fairy Tale Love Ball) at the Valentino's mansion sounds like heaven for her fans - Natalia already modeled all of the 45 dresses that she asked to create for the purposes of auctioning. She initially planned the event to take place in Russia but it was Anna Wintour who suggested an easier way for the guests - during the upcoming haute couture shows in July, in France, since everyone will be already there. Natalia distributed brightly-illustrated Russian folk story books among the designers she personally knows and respects and asked the dresses to be based on these stories and reflect their fairytale heritage. Natalia in all of these dresses has been already photographed mainly by Paolo Roversi (although the shot you see on the Tatler's cover in the lilac Stella McCartney's dress is shot by Mert and Marcus) and pictures were given to Tatler and Vogue magazines. Couture creations will be sold at a Christie's auction and money will be used for NHF causes (building playgrounds in Russia).

There is one interesting parallel, brought up by the author. One of the tales from these Russian books has a heroine poor Katya, who after a difficult childhood looses her last relative (old babushka), and sets out to find her lost tzarevitch (the article says "you get who it is exactly"), who has been bewitched by a cold evil witch (embodied by Tilda Winton for the shoot). Katya even has three matryoshki (Natalia's three children!). She looks for her tzarevitch in her dress and sandals in dark cold woods - and this refers to the shot of her on the first page of the article in the McQuinn's dress and heels. Curious point is that the Russian word chosen to describe this frozen tzarevitch is definitely a bit derogatory ("отморозок"). If I was to explain its meaning, I'd say it is somebody whose brains are frozen, not exactly a sharp and intelligent person. This completely raised my brows since before whenever Justin has been mentioned, there was always an acknowledgement of his intellect and bright persona.

That's pretty much it.

Yeah, I think it's a conundrum indeed and she wants to keep it that way. As I said, it's just one of these things she's been saying lately that need more comment to make sense entirely and she just won't elaborate... :blush:

Thanks, pautinka! But for you, I'd have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the article is all about. Now, I'm waiting for the Ball. The way you described it, it will be magnificent! :wave:

ETA:

There is one interesting parallel, brought up by the author. One of the tales from these Russian books has a heroine poor Katya, who after a difficult childhood looses her last relative (old babushka), and sets out to find her lost tzarevitch (the article says "you get who it is exactly"), who has been bewitched by a cold evil witch (embodied by Tilda Winton for the shoot). Katya even has three matryoshki (Natalia's three children!). She looks for her tzarevitch in her dress and sandals in dark cold woods - and this refers to the shot of her on the first page of the article in the McQuinn's dress and heels. Curious point is that the Russian word chosen to describe this frozen tzarevitch is definitely a bit derogatory ("отморозок"). If I was to explain its meaning, I'd say it is somebody whose brains are frozen, not exactly a sharp and intelligent person. This completely raised my brows since before whenever Justin has been mentioned, there was always an acknowledgement of his intellect and bright persona.

Curioser and curioser... :blink:

About the story with Justin.

Once again, someone from Natalia's side drops a criticism of her ex husband. I don't like it!

Why does that person write that? Has it happened once that she called and that Natalia and Justin were busy having family time or with something else and that Justin didn't like it?

Did Natalia perhaps use to spend hours on the phone with her friends (understandable) and did Justin feel left out because he didn't understand a word and because he was hoping to see her more exclusively during her brief off-duty time? (i know my boyfriend hates when i'm more than 15 minutes on the phone when we're together)

So that writer, with her journalistic aura, concluded that he didn't like phonecalls "from Russia" and concluded he didn't like russians? ........ And thinks it's an interesting thing to write in an article about Natalia. "Poor little Natalia was abandoned (or "is finally rid of?) meany Justin who doesn't like russians? It's ridiculous.

Once again, I am shocked that Natalia would even allow that to be printed about the father of her children. And once again it's a silly comment, quite immature and not really a frank one. A hint of criticism but not really. Just like when she said: one time, when Lucas was a baby, I was alone in a room while his family was partying...

That certainly was the only 2 hours he wasn't at her side then.

I don't think their relationship was a fairytale, but I also don't think Natalia is a fairy. A pretty face does not necessarily hide all human qualities.

I think Justin was crazy about her for years and years, he followed her everywhere, she was his life, he did everything she wanted, spoiled her, supported her etc. Maybe in the last times it was starting to weigh on him, maybe he was sick of her deciding about everything all the time, and being busy with her carreer and her russian charity more than with him... who knows!

If we have to comment on their separation (let's call it what it is), I think we have to consider both sides.

Once again, I am shocked that Natalia would even allow that to be printed about the father of her children. And once again it's a silly comment, quite immature and not really a frank one. A hint of criticism but not really. Just like when she said: one time, when Lucas was a baby, I was alone in a room while his family was partying...

That certainly was the only 2 hours he wasn't at her side then.

I think Justin was crazy about her for years and years, he followed her everywhere, she was his life, he did everything she wanted, spoiled her, supported her etc. Maybe in the last times it was starting to weigh on him, maybe he was sick of her deciding about everything all the time, and being busy with her carreer and her russian charity more than with him... who knows!

If we have to comment on their separation (let's call it what it is), I think we have to consider both sides.

As per usual, I have to agree with most of the above except that you CANNOT also know that when Lucas was a baby and his family left her to care for the baby by herself for what was only 2 hrs. Why do you say "certainly"? We know nothing, maybe it was a common occasion. I personally think that the family might have expected nannies and nurses from the very beginning (it seems to be frequent in rich families) and at that point Natalia did not want a stranger near the baby so she was near baby-Lucas constantly (this kind of upbringing without help is the most common in Russia) and certainly needed help of the father with that.

What I agree 100% with is the fact that there is Justin's side of the story as well, which needs to be considered and it not in any way represented in any of these articles.

Eos, I am not sure I understand what you meant about "itch" in tzarevitch..?

I am also increasingly annoyed about the negative portrayal of Justin in the most recent interviews/reports about Natalia. It's just such a low-brow type of writing, in my view, it's an analog of no court for accused ones - he is not there to explain his side and no one is interested in representing it. In this case (especially since they both seem to have chosen to be hush-hush about their whole domestic situation), I think, Natalia should refrain from even hint dropping, especially to the Russian press which is inclined to back her up anyway.

Another aspect of showing how clever of a businesswoman Natalia is: the article mentioned that an album entitled "Fairy Tale" will be displayed at the White Ball (with Natalia wearing these dresses) and those guests who will spend more than $100,000 (!!) bidding on any of these gowns will be gifted a signed original picture from Roversi or other photographers.

Not that I speak russian in the sligthest way but the "itch" thing means the tzar son, the tzar heir (Justin is a lord son, a lord heir), but maybe it was not the point.

I just drop by to say that I may be wrong but I don't think we ever saw portraits of Natalia painted by Justin, as far as I know he only made landscapes. The big portrait with the Red square in their West-Sussex house is not Justin's work (I don't know who it is).

Oh, and whatever upseting it can be, thank you to you all who scan, collect, translate and post pictures and news. Thank you for your time and your work ! And your discussions ! No time do discuss more the topic, but I share most of your points of view. The difference with one year ago, for me, is that now, I have stopped hoping to see them back together, simply because I undertsand it will not happen.

Where Natalia is expressed evil of Justin?

Natalia, 10 years described his marriage as perfect, and to Justin the most wonderful man, they have lied so many times in your marriage. It was his big mistake.

When she says she feels different from last year and a half, it means nothing.

Are puns, we can not guarantee, referred to with: different.

I've always noticed that most of you defends to Justin, almost blindly, as we know it only for Natasha said of him, she who was always described: he as beautiful, but no one can say that Justin is a good person, good father, good friend, good husband .. None of us can tell. All these articles about the perfect family, for my age and are advertising, nothing more.

Natalia is not a saint, and Justin not is the perfect man. The two are very far from that.

But we all know that Natalia is an angel-demon, but I think we have trouble accepting that justin is not perfect.

And now everything is blamed Natalia for expressing your feelings.

The perfect family, was a family of advertising.

And Natalia and Justin, were responsible for selling the story. Both are guilty of that, she described her husband as the perfect couple and he support it all, a perfect plan.

She does not speak ill of Justin in the interviews, the difference is that she not talk about he or not the described as wonderful.

For a long time I held talks with a friend of the forum and speculate all, we talked about a thousand theories, a thousand possible reasons on why Justin and Natalia were separated.

It was difficult to reach a conclusion, it is very difficult to know the truth, when both responses are ambiguous.

But I, the last few weeks I have the feeling that Natalia feels free, so free that has no idea what to do with their freedom.

I think that Natalia does not know how to be free, when she was a child I had to work to eat, now that she's rich, workaholic.

Natalia of child learned that to survive she had to work, so now do not know how to stop, is his way of solving problems, so it has a calendar full of events such work and its foundation.

I think he needs to learn to devote time to herself, she needs time to herself.

As we all agree, we know nothing of what is going on. I don't like the way Justin is being portrayed either, because he's not there to give his side of the story, but, to be honest, Justin is arguably light years beyond that. His life doesn't much depend on media or public approval; no matter what his (ex) wife says, he's filthy rich, he has a gazillion friends, he will move on to whatever direction he pleases. I have a feeling he already has. She might say these things, he most probably doesn't much care or resent. Justin's life is above and beyond Tatler, Vogue, whatever. This is her thing, not his. He doesn't need to explain himself, to give his side of the story. He's a Portman, for Pete's sake, he doesn't need to look good to us. The world in which he inhabits is his; he was born into it. If he felt he needed vindication, "friends" would be speaking for him to the press right now. We all know how this works.

As I see it, the highest probability is that Justin was the one to call it quits. Natalia seemed very happy and content in her marriage, which suited her to a T. He was always with her, always keeping her company. She looked happy and in love, and the couple's life pretty much orbitated around her. So, it's logical to assume that Justin might have reached a point where he was no longer that happy and content, and decided to do his own thing. They perhaps entered some sort of trial separation (not a divorce). I'd say Natalia agreed, assuming that he needed time and space, and that things would hopefully end up going back to the way they always were. One year and a half later the matter is not settled yet? Maybe.

I don't blame Justin for quitting, if he did; he's a pretty decent guy who was in love and most probably did the best he could. I have the feeling he was the one to leave the fairy tale and I wouldn't be surprised if he did. As much as he might have loved Natalia, the role of Prince Charming did nothing for him.

I'm thinking of that memorable quote, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Natalia is trying to keep civil, and she is, for the most part. There's something bothering her inside, however, and she needs to blurt it out; since she apparently can't, or won't, she keeps dropping hints, she's feeling different, whatever. She could have said so much more, if she really wanted to trash him or their marriage. Her "grievances" as a wife are not that bad, and she even tried to justify his behaviour in some instances. I suppose she's frustrated, sad, lonely. I'll cut her some slack (I wouldn't be surprised if Justin is cutting her some slack, too).

Well, here again, another futile exercise in speculation. :blush: I just wish them both happiness. :(

Natalia is not a saint, and Justin not is the perfect man. The two are very far from that.

But we all know that Natalia is an angel-demon, but I think we have trouble accepting that justin is not perfect.

And now everything is blamed Natalia for expressing your feelings.

The perfect family, was a family of advertising.

And Natalia and Justin, were responsible for selling the story. Both are guilty of that, she described her husband as the perfect couple and he support it all, a perfect plan.

She does not speak ill of Justin in the interviews, the difference is that she not talk about he or not the described as wonderful.

For a long time I held talks with a friend of the forum and speculate all, we talked about a thousand theories, a thousand possible reasons on why Justin and Natalia were separated.

It was difficult to reach a conclusion, it is very difficult to know the truth, when both responses are ambiguous.

But I, the last few weeks I have the feeling that Natalia feels free, so free that has no idea what to do with their freedom.

I think that Natalia does not know how to be free, when she was a child I had to work to eat, now that she's rich, workaholic.

Natalia of child learned that to survive she had to work, so now do not know how to stop, is his way of solving problems, so it has a calendar full of events such work and its foundation.

I think he needs to learn to devote time to herself, she needs time to herself.

Well said.

Not that I speak russian in the sligthest way but the "itch" thing means the tzar son, the tzar heir (Justin is a lord son, a lord heir), but maybe it was not the point.

nonetheless, you are absolutely correct, it means the son of tzar. I just did not understand Eos' discussing "About the story of Katya and the tzarevitch....again something against Justin ? For sure he is not stupid, far from being so.... Maybe it simply does not represent Justin. Maybe Russia ? Poor children in Russia ? But the ending "itch" sounds manly no ? perhaps just for men ?".

Futile discussion it is, you are right, acfr1968! we've had so many and probably because of these half-baked stories :)