Bellazon

Cindy Crawford
Thumbnail

Marsnoop

Here's an SI shot of Cindy which I don't think many people have seen before. Looks pretty hot - wish I had it in higher quality!

post-20341-1312892514_thumb.jpg

Hi.

It's from the 14 March 1988 issue of Sports Illustrated, page 4, "Letters". It won't be in "HQ", but Sports Illustrated has the entire issue available online, for free.

Several weeks after publication of the swimsuit issue (February), SI would (sometimes?) run a collection of readers' letters complimenting/criticizing the swimsuit issue. SI would also sometimes run an additional picture (or two), as here. Like this one of Cindy, there are a couple of Kathy Ireland, for example, that were published in a "Letters" follow-up and (to the best of our understanding) never anywhere else (not even the calendars or diaries).

Given the number of frames that you would expect Hispard would have shot with Cindy, it's surprising that one and only one made it into the actual swimsuit issue. This is the second of the two total published in SI that we are aware of. Sometimes the shots just turn out crummy and you don't find out until too late, but why they only printed these two is a story I'd like to hear.

:wave:

Here's an SI shot of Cindy which I don't think many people have seen before. Looks pretty hot - wish I had it in higher quality!

post-20341-1312892514_thumb.jpg

Hi.

It's from the 14 March 1988 issue of Sports Illustrated, page 4, "Letters". It won't be in "HQ", but Sports Illustrated has the entire issue available online, for free.

Several weeks after publication of the swimsuit issue (February), SI would (sometimes?) run a collection of readers' letters complimenting/criticizing the swimsuit issue. SI would also sometimes run an additional picture (or two), as here. Like this one of Cindy, there are a couple of Kathy Ireland, for example, that were published in a "Letters" follow-up and (to the best of our understanding) never anywhere else (not even the calendars or diaries).

Given the number of frames that you would expect Hispard would have shot with Cindy, it's surprising that one and only one made it into the actual swimsuit issue. This is the second of the two total published in SI that we are aware of. Sometimes the shots just turn out crummy and you don't find out until too late, but why they only printed these two is a story I'd like to hear.

Cindy said that there were problems between Jule Campbell and her, practically a catfight so she was not surprised about seeing only one picture published, they were discussing about the outfits that Cindy would wear but Jule, editor of the swimsuit issue - didn't like opinions from the models.

And then, Cindy said, thought that she didn't need Sports Illustrated so she created her own successful calendars and that's how she would cover that swimsuit market.

Cindy said that there were problems between Jule Campbell and her, practically a catfight so she was not surprised about seeing only one picture published, they were discussing about the outfits that Cindy would wear but Jule, editor of the swimsuit issue - didn't like opinions from the models.

And then, Cindy said, thought that she didn't need Sports Illustrated so she created her own successful calendars and that's how she would cover that swimsuit market.

Oh, that's interesting. Thank you!

The following year (1989), Cindy would be the cover of rival SPORT magazine's swimsuit issue. She is the most-featured model in that issue, which included other top models from Elite (Kelly Emberg, Carrie Nygren, Jill Goodacre, ...), with photography by Glaviano, who was also doing the Elite agency swimsuit calendars. So there is kind of "that feeling" of a disagreement, or a spat of some kind (money?, who got the cover?, or what?), with Cindy's agency placing her and other of its top models in a rival publication. Kathy Ireland was still with Elite (she is in the '89, '90, and '91 agency swimsuit calendars) though, I believe, and she certainly continued to appear in SI. Glaviano shoots for SISE in '96, but I think no other time.

By any chance, do you recall where you read it or saw Cindy's comments?

Oh, that's interesting. Thank you!

The following year (1989), Cindy would be the cover of rival SPORT magazine's swimsuit issue. She is the most-featured model in that issue, which included other top models from Elite (Kelly Emberg, Carrie Nygren, Jill Goodacre, ...), with photography by Glaviano, who was also doing the Elite agency swimsuit calendars. So there is kind of "that feeling" of a disagreement, or a spat of some kind (money?, who got the cover?, or what?), with Cindy's agency placing her and other of its top models in a rival publication. Kathy Ireland was still with Elite (she is in the '89, '90, and '91 agency swimsuit calendars) though, I believe, and she certainly continued to appear in SI. Glaviano shoots for SISE in '96, but I think no other time.

By any chance, do you recall where you read it or saw Cindy's comments?

Thanks Steve, Cindy appearing in Sport Magazine in 1989 makes sense, probably she was looking for other options.

I think she knew that Sports Illustrated was very important, models like Paulina and Elle have said that SI did for them more than any other fashion job or Vogue Cover, in terms of popularity.

Cindy also said that her 1988 Playboy spread was a movement of that nature, she wanted capitalize the attention of the guys, those that didn't read Vogue.

she said all of that in this Lifetime TV Show that later was released in VHS

http://www.amazon.com/Intimate-Portrait-Ci...S/dp/1575236745