Bellazon

Josephine Skriver
Thumbnail

sarnic

The Danish model has taken the initials LGBT to the sky of Victoria's Secret : daughter of gay parents, she tells her family history to Vogue.

"I am an activist because I was born of freedom" - Josephine Skriver

So proud of Jo to finally book a VOGUE cover ! :heart:

"I am an activist because I was born of freedom" - Josephine Skriver

She has taken the initials LGBT to the sky of Victoria's Secret; daughter of gay parents, she tells her story to 'Vogue'.

Her mother, a lesbian, put an ad in an LGBT magazine (Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual and Transgender) to find a partner who wanted to be a father. It was 1992, in Denmark. Three years earlier, the Scandinavian country was the first to recognize the civil union between people of the same sex - in Spain, remember, it was legalized in 2005-; adoption would come in 2009 and marriage at church in 2012. Josephine Skriver's parents were male and female, both gay, and she was born via in vitro fertilization. In the most gay-friendly country in the world, she grew with both of them until they re-created their lives. "So I started to live with my mother and my other mother", in allusion to the bride of her mother, "but we were always together. I had more Christmas and birthdays than any child, " she explains, laughing, later. America - where she now resides for her work - listens to the homophobic Trump. This 23-year-old model does not stop at her goal of making the world "more tolerant, a better place." Therefore, she wanted to focus her interview on this part of her life turned into a mission.

Our encounter takes place in Patrick Demarchelier's studio in New York. In the work space of the photographer, the first cover of Vogue Spain of 2017, and the protagonist is Josephine Skriver. The Danish top made all the high fashion - as it is called between insiders to the circuit of the great weeks of fashion - before being cast in Victoria's Secret cast. She has walked four times for the firm, but in 2016 she got the title of angel.

She appears at the door two minutes before the hour. With a ponytail, a comfortable sweat-shirt, leggings and black boots, she greets the team with two kisses and removes her jacket from Off-White. A tea is prepared and, she admits that she woke up at five in the morning to go to the gym. "Is it for the preparation of Victoria's Secret ?" I said in reference to the show of the brand in Paris. "These weeks training intensifies, but I've always played sports, I grew up playing women's soccer !" tells the model, whom an agent discovered in a trip to New York when she was only 15.

Patrick Demarchelier, like every maestro, is pure determination. He shoot around five photos for each styling and shouts: "Change!". At the end of the session, Josephine privately confess her nerves. Fortunately, she says she has her 'sisters' referring to her companions, the other angels of Victoria's Secret, who wished her good luck last night. There are all in the Big Apple and when I ask her if the feeling of fraternity that they transmit in Instagram is real, she confirms it to me: "Yes ! We could see ourselves as rivals, but no. We have a group of text messages and we are talking all day. Each one has her role: Romee Strijd is the foodie, Taylor Hill helps me with my style, with Jasmine Tookes I do sport, ..." Also she talks about her boyfriend, Alexander DeLeon, leader of the rock group The Cab, as one of her great supports, especially in the struggle that she carries out.

Since 2015 Josephine is officially an activist as the ambassador of the Family Equality Council of America. "I gather every month with LGBT families, I talk with people in my situation, we share experiences,... I grew up in an environment full of love and tolerance." "Was it difficult ?", I asked. "Sometimes I felt like I did not fit in, but I have friends who had hard childhoods in traditional families, and I feel lucky. It hurts me when people tell me: "How complicated it had to be!" she tell me once the photo session is over. And she ends : "As a model, I travel a lot and I see the different situations of the LGBT community in the world. Because I am manifesting and raising my voice, because I am a consequence of freedom, and I want to help change things."