Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

SXSW scene: Mobli 2.0 party (Or, ‘The night that Leo came to Interactive’)

So, it was the night that Leo came to Interactive.

In a year for South by Southwest Interactive in which some of the biggest names to ever come to the festival (as opposed to Film and Music), Leonardo DiCaprio may be the biggest name yet. And for this year, that includes Jay-Z, who will play a Monday show for American Express at ACL Live; Al Gore, who will do a Q&A with entrepreneur Sean Parker on Monday and Jimmy Fallon, who on Sunday moderated a panel for Nike.

It’s getting a little celebrity up in here for SXSWi.

DiCaprio was in town Saturday night along with Tobey Maguire, Lukas Haas and Jared Leto for a party thrown by start-up Mobli, which has created a tool for celebrities to create their own content channels for photos and videos and, as the chief executive of the company says repeated, “To tell their own stories.”

In a chat with CEO Moshiko Hogeg, we learned that Mobli originated in Israel at a concert Hogeg attended with his then-girlfriend where he noticed all the people shooting photos and video with cell phones. To hear him tell it, he imagined an app or tool that would allow people not at the concert to experience the show through the eyes of those seeing it.

He secured a major investor and then something surprising happened. Actor Lukas Haas began using the app and told his buddy, Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio became an investor and now Tobey Maguire is on board too. Lance Armstrong and other celebrities have created channels on Mobli and the company’s big party on Saturday night was a launch party for version 2.0 of its app.

Hogeg says that most of the executive team now operates out of New York City but about 20 staffers handling tech are still based in Israel.

Early at the party before things got going, an awkward group of investor-types and about 20 models brought in from San Antonio and Houston (apparently there’s a model shortage in Austin due to SXSW) made small talk before the lights went down, DJ Spooky took over the turntables and the crush of people in anticipation of the guests got thick.

At about 10:30 p.m., Tobey Maguire and Lukas Haas entered the fray, gamely agreeing to have camera phone pics taken with fans. A few minutes later, Oscar-nominee DiCaprio appeared from a VIP room with a group of several large men keeping people away and sticking their hands in front of camera lenses. DiCaprio, with facial scruff and a black Oakland Raiders cap worn low on his forehead, posed for photos, but was not really about the glad-handing.

The party got louder, the liquor flowed more freely and soon Kevin Connolly from “Entourage” and Jared Leto were partying too. It was an intense private party given the whole production was about an app; Interactive is clearly morphing into something bigger, something able to attract a-list actors and musicians to the fest, even if they’re just here to be seen and get a photo taken. But isn’t that the kind of thing that eventually leads to a bust?

Tks Sick for showing my beloved shoulders! :pinky:

I need to agree for the first time with Princess! :laugh: Kidding.... :hug:

You are right when you say you dont see the big deal of not showing his face! :(

Always one of my fave black & white pix

post-52324-0-1446082643-40247_thumb.jpg

Audrina & Killabunnies

Thanks for all the great HQ pix :)

ByPrincess

Thanks for all the Mobli articles and, best of all, video :)

Pami

The guy whose teeth you are talking about that's Moshe the brains behind Mobli :)

SXSW 2012: The stars come out

The paparazzi can keep their night jobs.

There I was, armed with the camera on my iPhone and a Canon point-and-shoot, battling human flesh inside an Austin Japanese restaurant as if riding the New York City subway at rush hour.

My mission: capture half-way decent pictures of actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire at a VIP-invite party for Mobli 2.0, a real-time photo and video sharing app for the iPhone launching at SXSW.

post-51835-0-1446082644-28208_thumb.jpg

Leo and Tobey were on the guest list, along with fellow actors Lukas Haas and David Arquette. Suffice to say, the stars in attendance were kept at a safe distance most of the evening at a table in a corner, sometimes behind a curtain and almost always behind a wall of handlers. Haas was the only one who appeared comfortable walking into the crowds, at least while I was there.

In any event, you can judge my photographic exploits, but safe to say that no actual paparazzi will feel threatened by my presence.

post-51835-0-1446082644-69679_thumb.jpg

Pami

The guy whose teeth you are talking about that's Moshe the brains behind Mobli :)

That's why I say he needs to brush his teeth hehe. :laugh:

Oxford this pic is also one of my favorites! :)