Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Because for so many the love ❤️ for this goes on...

And positive thoughts for Celine (Dion) and her new diagnosis.

'Titanic' Turns 25! James Cameron 'Can't Imagine' Movie Without Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet

"You change one element and it doesn't work," director James Cameron said of his 1997 classic

By   

Published on December 19, 2022 02:56 PM
  • Twe
  • PinLeonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet
Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in Titanic. PHOTO: MERIE WEISMILLER WALLACE/PAARMOUNT

A quarter-century has passed since James Cameron's Titanic premiered in theaters!

25 years later, 1997's Titanic still stands tall as one of the highest-grossing movies ever made, and director Cameron, 68, recently told Deadline he "can't imagine that film" without its two leading stars in Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

"I think about that casting Leonardo [DiCaprio] and Kate [Winslet] in Titanic. Leo, the studio didn't want him; I had to fight for him," the director told the outlet during an interview about his career and his new movie, Avatar: The Way of Water.

"Kate really liked him," the director said of DiCaprio, now 48. "And then Leonardo decided he didn't want to make the movie. So then I had to talk him into it."

During the interview, Cameron noted that Titanic "wouldn't have been that film" if DiCaprio had decided not to take his role as Jack or if anything with the production had come together differently.

"You think at any one of those places, if that had really kind of frayed apart, it would have been somebody else and it wouldn't have been that film," he told the outlet. "And I can't imagine that film without him and without her."

TITANIC BTS - Director James Cameron starring, Kate Winslet as Rose DeWitt Bukater and <a href="https://people.com/tag/leonardo-dicaprio/" data-inlink="true">Leonardo Dicaprio</a> as Jack Dawson 1997
And... cut! Cameron directing DiCaprio and Winslet in a scene from Titanic. (The blade of Rose's ax was rubber.). PARAMOUNT PICTURES AND TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX

"So there's a fragility to the whole process, there's a fragility to success," Cameron added. "You change one element and it doesn't work."

In a video career retrospective for GQ published in November, the director spilled on casting DiCaprio as Jack for Titanic, which almost fell apart over the actor's poor attitude during auditions.

"There was a meeting with Leo and then there was a screen test with Leo," Cameron said, setting the scene. "The meeting was funny because I am sitting in my conference room, waiting to meet an actor. And I look around, and all the women in the entire office are in the meeting. They all wanted to meet Leo. It was hysterical."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

The filmmaker said the first meeting went well and DiCaprio "charmed everybody" so he was asked back for a read with Winslet, who had already been cast. It did not go as smoothly. At least, not at first.LAMY STOCK PHOTO

"So he came back a couple of days later, and I had the camera set up to record the video," Cameron recalled. "He didn't know he was going to test. He thought it was another meeting to meet Kate. So I said, 'Okay, we'll just go in the next room, and we'll run some lines and I'll video it.' And he said, 'You mean, I'm reading?' I said, 'Yeah.' "

"He said, 'Oh, I don't read,' " Cameron continued. "I shook his hand and said, 'Thanks for coming by.' And he said, 'Wait, wait, wait. If I don't read, I don't get the part? Just like that?' And I said, 'Oh, yeah. Come on. This is a giant movie that is going to take two years of my life, and you'll be gone doing five other things while I'm doing post-production. So, I'm not going to f--- it up by making the wrong decision in casting. So, you're going to read, or you're not going to get the part.' "

DiCaprio reluctantly agreed to read and was indignant until the camera was rolling, Cameron claimed, but once he gave DiCaprio the go-ahead to read, the actor "turned into Jack."

"Kate just lit up, and they played the scene," the director said. "Dark clouds had opened up, and a ray of sun came down and lit up Jack. I'm like, 'All right. He's the guy.' "

Titanic is currently the eighth highest-grossing movie ever at the domestic box office. Top Gun: Maverick passed Titanic in August as it shot to the fifth-highest grossing movie of all time.

PEOPLE's new special edition, Titanic: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet and the Making of an Epic Love Story, is available now wherever magazines are sold.

kate-winslet-leonardo-dicaprio-titanic-bts-121322-1-49cc8509c66848759e9f128eb6e91949.thumb.webp.eca4fb019445562b98a40edeb8b54ba7.webp

If Jack lived, would the love-soaked narrative?

Rolling Stone India

James Cameron Says ‘Forensic Analysis’ Proves Only Rose Could Survive on ‘Titanic’ Raft

“We have done a scientific study to put this whole thing to rest,” the director said

3a8416ae2b1c9e59442eafb5fbfcc07d?s=40&d=
Tomás Mier Dec 19, 2022

GettyImages-1192757498-1-960x640.webp

The movie "Titanic", written and directed by James Cameron. Seen here from left, Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack and Kate Winslet as Rose after the Titanic has sunk. Initial USA theatrical wide release December 19, 1997. PARAMOUNT PICTURES/CBS VIA GETTY IMAGES

No, Jack and Rose would not have been able to survive on the Titanic raft. In a recent interview with the Toronto Sun, director James Cameron revealed that he led a “scientific study” made to disprove a myth about the iconic scene between Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.

“We have done a scientific study to put this whole thing to rest and drive a stake through its heart once and for all,” Cameron told the Canadian outlet. “We have since done a thorough forensic analysis with a hypothermia expert who reproduced the raft from the movie and we’re going to do a little special on it that comes out in February.”

In the 1997 film, Jack allows Rose to take a raft after the Titanic ship sinks. Given the size of the raft, fans of the film speculated that both characters may have survived. Twenty-five years later, Cameron is putting the rumors to rest.

“We took two stunt people who were the same body mass of Kate and Leo and we put sensors all over them and inside them and we put them in ice water and we tested to see whether they could have survived through a variety of methods and the answer was, there was no way they both could have survived,” he said. “Only one could survive.”

And when asked if he had any regrets about killing off DiCaprio’s character for a happy ending, Cameron’s answer was simple: “No, he needed to die.”

“It’s like Romeo and Juliet. It’s a movie about love and sacrifice and mortality,” Cameron said. “The love is measured by the sacrifice.”

The death of Jack is something that Mythbusters tackled and claimed that his death was “needless,” though Cameron told Daily Beast in 2017 that the show’s theory “wouldn’t work.”

“Mythbusters asks you to now go take off your life vest, take hers off, swim underneath this thing, attach it in some way that it won’t just wash out two minutes later — which means you’re underwater tying this thing on in 28-degree water, and that’s going to take you five to 10 minutes, so by the time you come back up you’re already dead,” he said at the time. “[Jack’s] best choice was to keep his upper body out of the water and hope to get pulled out by a boat or something before he died. They’re fun guys and I loved doing that show with them, but they’re full of s—.”

Given his disdain for the fan theory, perhaps the Avatar director is pulling everybody’s leg. We’ll have to wait until February to find out.

18 hours ago, Magical said:

So ladies 😆 

If you had the opportunity to  be a  friend with one of Leo's characters, which one will you choose?!

I think I choose Rick Dalton. He seems fun and good hearted. Like most of Leos movie characters he's troubled but not psychotic. I couldn't handle someone like Jay, Teddy or Dom griving forever over the past, losses and traumata and women I think LOL Rick is a bit eccentric but who isn't? I also think he's the most buddy type Leo ever played.

bdb20cc0e16749173e4b6f96b421af6d3cddecc6

Runner up: Phillipe

(next to Jack Dawson he's probably the most likeable character Leo ever played. Loyal, brave, strong, kind. Patient lol He also really needed some friends)

373e3df93fe5821122f5a8761aa101cae62f2a2e

14 hours ago, YouNoMe said:

Yeah, I agree. I don't believe Leonardo is dating anyone at the moment. But Victoria's presence is only adding fuel and wind to the, 🚫 No 25-year-olds allowed, brush fire 🔥. I kinda feel like Victoria is one of Tobey's friends. @Magical

https://pagesix.com/2022/12/21/leonardo-dicaprio-victoria-lamas-not-dating-despite-dinner-outing/