Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Lainey (or Sarah on Lainey) has her own conspiracy theory on TDITWC. It's kinda funny even though she blames Leo for not letting happen the project - like this site usually does LOL

The Devil in the White City is my white whale

All I want in this stupid world is for SOMEONE to develop a movie or limited series based on The Devil in the White City that we will ACTUALLY get to see. Following the announcement back in August that Keanu Reeves would star in a limited series for Hulu, to be directed (at least in part) by Todd Field, and produced by Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio, Keanu has left the project. And worse! Todd Field, riding high on the ecstatic reception of his long-gestating third film, Tár, has also left the project. So now The Devil in the White City is back to square one, with Scorsese and DiCaprio still attached to produce, but no star and no director(s). Leonardo DiCaprio refuses to do two things, 1) date women over 25, and 2) make The Devil in the White City.

Keanu was going to play architect Daniel Burnham, by the way. I cannot see that at all, but now I will be haunted forever by the possibilities. This is my white whale, I am going to die wishing for an adaptation of The Devil in the White City, one of the very few true crime stories that is inherently cinematic and ripe for adaptation. 

I actually have a conspiracy theory about what just happened. DiCaprio bought the film rights back in 2010, and he’s been squatting on them ever since like Smaug hoarding gold. In order to retain film rights, though, you have to keep the project in active development. That is a broad, almost meaningless classification, but it basically means that in some capacity, you have to be working toward completing a screen adaptation that people can actually watch. You can’t just buy rights and sit on them forever; the point of optioning the rights to a book, article, podcast, what have you, is to make something out of it. For instance, the rights to Daredevil reverted to Marvel back in 2013 after Fox failed to get a new movie project off the ground by their October 2012 deadline. Marvel, then, was able to develop a new TV show based on the character.

Given that Keanu came onto and fell off this project in just two months, and that Field departed, too, my conspiracy theory is that there was never any intention to adapt White City with Keanu. It was a hasty deal to keep the rights, and once it became clear there was no there there, Reeves left, with Field following for similar reason. My evidence: none. I mean, besides the fact they never found a Holmes to pair with Reeves’ Burnham. You think they would be casting those two fairly close together, as they are the narrative anchors of the whole thing. Those are your stars, your leading couple, if you will. 

But other than that, this is just my cynicism speaking because every few years, news about White City flares up and then dies down and nothing ever comes of any it, but DiCaprio keeps that option that prevents anyone else from, you know, actually making the thing. It happened in 2015, it happened in 2019, it happened in 2022. Hulu has this show dated for sometime in 2024, but I’d probably die of shock if it actually happens. At this rate, DiCaprio will actually commit to Gigi Hadid before he does The Devil in the White City. 

Source

52 minutes ago, Jade Bahr said:

Lainey (or Sarah on Lainey) has her own conspiracy theory on TDITWC. It's kinda funny even though she blames Leo for not letting happen the project - like this site usually does LOL

The Devil in the White City is my white whale

All I want in this stupid world is for SOMEONE to develop a movie or limited series based on The Devil in the White City that we will ACTUALLY get to see. Following the announcement back in August that Keanu Reeves would star in a limited series for Hulu, to be directed (at least in part) by Todd Field, and produced by Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio, Keanu has left the project. And worse! Todd Field, riding high on the ecstatic reception of his long-gestating third film, Tár, has also left the project. So now The Devil in the White City is back to square one, with Scorsese and DiCaprio still attached to produce, but no star and no director(s). Leonardo DiCaprio refuses to do two things, 1) date women over 25, and 2) make The Devil in the White City.

Keanu was going to play architect Daniel Burnham, by the way. I cannot see that at all, but now I will be haunted forever by the possibilities. This is my white whale, I am going to die wishing for an adaptation of The Devil in the White City, one of the very few true crime stories that is inherently cinematic and ripe for adaptation. 

I actually have a conspiracy theory about what just happened. DiCaprio bought the film rights back in 2010, and he’s been squatting on them ever since like Smaug hoarding gold. In order to retain film rights, though, you have to keep the project in active development. That is a broad, almost meaningless classification, but it basically means that in some capacity, you have to be working toward completing a screen adaptation that people can actually watch. You can’t just buy rights and sit on them forever; the point of optioning the rights to a book, article, podcast, what have you, is to make something out of it. For instance, the rights to Daredevil reverted to Marvel back in 2013 after Fox failed to get a new movie project off the ground by their October 2012 deadline. Marvel, then, was able to develop a new TV show based on the character.

Given that Keanu came onto and fell off this project in just two months, and that Field departed, too, my conspiracy theory is that there was never any intention to adapt White City with Keanu. It was a hasty deal to keep the rights, and once it became clear there was no there there, Reeves left, with Field following for similar reason. My evidence: none. I mean, besides the fact they never found a Holmes to pair with Reeves’ Burnham. You think they would be casting those two fairly close together, as they are the narrative anchors of the whole thing. Those are your stars, your leading couple, if you will. 

But other than that, this is just my cynicism speaking because every few years, news about White City flares up and then dies down and nothing ever comes of any it, but DiCaprio keeps that option that prevents anyone else from, you know, actually making the thing. It happened in 2015, it happened in 2019, it happened in 2022. Hulu has this show dated for sometime in 2024, but I’d probably die of shock if it actually happens. At this rate, DiCaprio will actually commit to Gigi Hadid before he does The Devil in the White City. 

Source

She is silly not lainey

‘Gangs Of New York’ TV Series In Works At Miramax With Writer Brett Leonard; Martin Scorsese To Direct

EXCLUSIVE: A high-profile TV series project from Miramax Television based on Herbert Asbury’s 1927 non-fiction book The Gangs of New York is about to hit the premium/streaming marketplace. Oscar winner Martin Scorsese, who directed the 2002 feature adaptation of the book, is attached to executive produce the potential series and direct the first two episodes.

Details about the drama, from playwright/TV writer Brett Leonard (Shantaram), are sketchy but I hear this is a new take on the story with new characters that were not featured in the movie, which starred Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis and Cameron Diaz.

Asbury’s book details the confrontations between rival gangs in New York in the mid- to late-1800s, prior to the domination of the Italian-American Mafia during Prohibition in the 1920s. That latter period was the subject of HBO’s drama Boardwalk Empire, which Scorsese executive produced and won an Emmy for directing the pilot episode.

I hear Scorsese responded to Leonard’s script, which had been developed internally at Miramax TV, and came on board as an executive producer and director. Also executive producing the series are Leonard and Scorsese’s managers Rick Yorn and Chris Donnelly. The project will be taken out to buyers later this month.

Scorsese was previously attached to a different TV series adaptation of The Gangs Of New York, whose development was announced by rights holder Miramax and GK Films in 2013. It was to follow organized gangs not only in New York but in other cities such as Chicago and New Orleans and chronicle the birth of organized crime in America.

“This time and era of America’s history and heritage is rich with characters and stories that we could not fully explore in a two-hour film,” Scorsese said at the time of that announcement. “A television series allows us the time and creative freedom to bring this colorful world, and all the implications it had and still does on our society, to life.”

A member of the LAByrinth Theater Company of New York City, Leonard is known for his play The Long Red Road whose staging at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman and starred Tom Hardy. Leonard worked on Hardy’s FX series Taboo. His TV series credits also include AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead and Low Winter Sun as well as the upcoming Apple TV+ drama Shantaram. He is repped by WME.

Scorsese’s latest documentary, Personality Crisis: One Night Only, had a world premiere at the New York Film Festival last night. His next feature, Killers Of the Flower Moon, is expected to premiere at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival. In TV, Scorsese is executive producing the upcoming Hulu limited series The Devil In the White City. He is repped by WME, LBI Entertainment and Hansen, Jacobson, Teller.

Source

A Freaky Friday indeed. Switching Romeo Montague from the 1590s to Jack Dawson from the 1910s, hmmm 🤔, interesting. I almost openly admitted to my marvel over the potential culture shock regarding the 320ish year difference between them, but then I thought, 'how much distance is there between the two anyway?'. Romeo and Jack are one in the same, only in the 1910s version of things the boy dies alone...😭.

Magical & YouNotMe  

Tks for your replies regarding glasses :) 

Guess the lighting of the pap  pix was so poor that it seemed like Leo had large black circle or rim around  his  left eye to me 

09FE02AB-FE55-4F6E-9448-7D35B842BB14.jpeg

YouNotMe 

Tks for more NY/ Nobu pix :)