Bellazon

Football

goose

Hung on in there for a potentially valuable point. Toivonen made a difference when he came on, and with Lens scoring again and M'Vila also finding the net, you'd have to say the new boys are doing their bit so far. The old guard, not so much. Cattermole has been responsible for most of the goals we've conceded this season and Jones was all over the shop, while Graham and Fletcher would struggle to score for the Blue Bell.

Will we able to bring in reinforcements before the window closes? Will we ever keep another clean sheet? What is a Jack Rodwell? All questions I don't envy Advocaat for having to try and answer.

Fred, your thoughts on the game? I was impressed with Sinclair...

Hung on in there for a potentially valuable point. Toivonen made a difference when he came on, and with Lens scoring again and M'Vila also finding the net, you'd have to say the new boys are doing their bit so far. The old guard, not so much. Cattermole has been responsible for most of the goals we've conceded this season and Jones was all over the shop, while Graham and Fletcher would struggle to score for the Blue Bell.

Will we able to bring in reinforcements before the window closes? Will we ever keep another clean sheet? What is a Jack Rodwell? All questions I don't envy Advocaat for having to try and answer.

Fred, your thoughts on the game? I was impressed with Sinclair...

I feel like Villa supporters have been slow to embrace Sinclair but for me, even with a couple of wasted years at City, he represents much needed experience and a knack for goals sorely missing elsewhere. Right now everything feels like creaking, tortoise in stilettos like progress but it's hard not to be at least somewhat encouraged by some of the flashes shown by the younger Frenchier players, not to mention Adama who did more in fifteen minutes against Palace than N'Zogbia has in years. 

• 3 weeks later...

This notion of City losing because they lack Champions League 'know-how' never fails to baffle my brain. There's no doubting Juve's superior pedigree in the competition, but this is still a team boasting bags of experience at the highest level. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one, they just haven't performed well enough on the European stage.

Most of us took heart from the performance against Spurs, and you'd think a trip to Bournemouth would be a decent chance to keep that new-found momentum going. Not for this lot. With less than ten minutes on the clock, we'd already given ourselves a mountain to climb. It's as if Sunderland and Newcastle are desperately trying to outcrap each other.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an old cliche, but if you have to beg your manager to stay in the job after he initially gives you the brush-off, and he still only commits to a year, then you allow said manager to put new signings on two and three-year contracts after he threatens to walk out again over a perceived lack of investment, it was probably never meant to be. :pinch:

Whoever comes in (please not Nigel Pearson) will have quite the mission on their hands (please not Nigel Pearson) to see out more than a year in the job (please not Nigel Pearson). A major clear-out of the old guard is still long overdue too, but with underperforming players content to sit there collecting inflated salaries and a distinct shortage of takers for any of them, it's hard to see anything changing in the short term. Really, as mad as it sounds now, Paolo Di Canio probably had the right idea. It's just that you'd need to actually be a half-decent manager to pull off what he was trying to do.

Sticks to beat Brendan Rodgers with aren't exactly in short supply, so I always find it a bit ridiculous when people use the form of Luis Suarez in 2013/14 as one of them. You'd think Rodgers was the only manager to have benefited from having good players at his disposal.

Somewhere amid the unrelenting woe I still clutch to the fragile notion that we have a decent starting XI at our disposal that could, theoretically, audible gasp, job along into the upper echloens of the bottom half of the table but week by week the whiff of the John Smith's Stadium et al seems to draw closer and closer. For a man who could've been crowned Puff Chested World Champion as recently as a few months ago, Tim now resembles something closer to Robert DeNiro in Awakenings, at least 'til it's time to rally the troops with the suitably rousing, utterly reassuring post-match "we'll keep fiddling with the team 'til it works" mantra. 

I can't wait until Saturday. Big Sam vs Pulis, a classic encounter where neither side gets out of its own half. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, this is probably the most sensible thing Sunderland have done in years. The football Allardyce brings will never be mistaken for tiki-taka, but, as the majority of neutrals watching us play over the last five years or so would probably tell you, we're not exactly Barcelona. More often than not, the players have been terrible and seeing an organised side who look like they care would be an improvement.

Presumably, Nolan has already received the call from Allardyce and is just perfecting the finer points of his chicken dance goal celebration in front of a mirror. :chicken:

A decidedly dodgy goal (foul, handball, kicking it out of the keeper's hands - take your pick) to seperate the two teams yesterday but overall, a disappointingly familiar story. Relatively secure with extended patches of assured play, hampered by a midfield severely lacking in creativity and a dearth of cutting edge up front. M'Vila looks as if he could develop into a real star though, he's been front and centre in almost everything we've done well this season.

Right, quick scan of the clipboard, let's see...

Guzan clanger: check

Lescott showing mobility of 185 year-old: check

Westwood insisting on yet more slow hanging diagonal corners that offer absolutely no viable goal opportunity whatsoever: check

Ray Wilkins standing around having a good ol' laugh with his Chelsea pals: check

Mad Sherwood substitution: negative, Joe Cole's been loaned out to Coventry.

Opposition barely having to do anything to obtain victory: check

Profound sense of doom at final whistle: check republic, babay~!