Bellazon

Football

goose

Blatter has decided to now resign. Benitez is officially the new Real Madrid coach and apparently has said he'd build the team around Bale, seems risky, and with Benitez already being an unpopular choice for coach as it is, he isn't doing himself much favours but I guess we have to see how it plays out in action. 

It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if, somewhere down the road, Old Man Sepp still tried to renege on his pledge to resign. You'd hope that the FIFA rebuild would start now, although I suspect it'll only happen if and when he eventually gets around to actually going. The International Olympic Committee was able to make the necessary changes after the Salt Lake City scandal, and that reform is one that perhaps football can look to as an example.

Benitez is officially the new Real Madrid coach and apparently has said he'd build the team around Bale, seems risky, and with Benitez already being an unpopular choice for coach as it is, he isn't doing himself much favours but I guess we have to see how it plays out in action. 

A good time to remind everyone that at all parties, no matter where in the world, there's always one clammy handed Rafa Benitez fan sitting alone quietly mumbling about Valencia's 2004 pass completion percentage! 

Benitez is officially the new Real Madrid coach and apparently has said he'd build the team around Bale, seems risky, and with Benitez already being an unpopular choice for coach as it is, he isn't doing himself much favours but I guess we have to see how it plays out in action.

A good time to remind everyone that at all parties, no matter where in the world, there's always one clammy handed Rafa Benitez fan sitting alone quietly mumbling about Valencia's 2004 pass completion percentage!

Rafa's divisive reputation in full effect this past month. From potentially showing Carlton Cole the door at Upton Park to welcoming Cristiano Ronaldo back for pre-season training. The same game, but in name only. :laugh:

We need more than just Blatter gone to reform FIFA.

They would probably need to revise the whole presentation model (part of the problem is the one federation - one vote structure).

But it would be a start, as would these so-called 'integrity checks' being done by someone other than FIFA themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually saw Blatter in a role similar to the one Joao Havelange was given years ago, with a sizeable expense account and continued influence. If we're not careful, the hydra will just grow a new head.

We need more than just Blatter gone to reform FIFA.

They would probably need to revise the whole presentation model (part of the problem is the one federation - one vote structure).

But it would be a start, as would these so-called 'integrity checks' being done by someone other than FIFA themselves. It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually saw Blatter in a role similar to the one Joao Havelange was given years ago, with a sizeable expense account and continued influence. If we're not careful, the hydra will just grow a new head.

The problem for Blatter is that this is a RICO case. This is not going to go away.

I suspect Blatter might end up running into Putin's arms and live out the rest of his years under the protective arms of the Russian bear.

The problem for Blatter is that this is a RICO case. This is not going to go away.

I suspect Blatter might end up running into Putin's arms and live out the rest of his years under the protective arms of the Russian bear.

One of the explanations put forth by FIFA the other day, that a ten million bung to the Caribbean Football Union was solely authorised by a man who is now deceased and no-one else was remotely aware of it, was pretty hilarious. Case dismissed, m'lud? :laugh:

One of the explanations put forth by FIFA the other day, that a ten million bung to the Caribbean Football Union was solely authorised by a man who is now deceased and no-one else was remotely aware of it, was pretty hilarious. Case dismissed, m'lud? :laugh:

That was disgusting, but also reminded me of a practice that was apparently common during the Vietnam war, in which whenever a helicopter went down, the Quartermaster corps would use the opportunity to attribute all sorts of missing/stolen ordinance to the lost chopper. Sometimes to absurd amounts. Three to four times what would be conceivable.

Their story gave me a flashback to the young boy in 'Schindler's List' who, when asked by Ralph Fiennes about a theft, pointed to the bloke Fiennes had just shot dead.

I presume Sepp will just continue to try and 'bare faced cheek' his way through the whole mess until the day he's led away in cuffs. They'll of course need more than the evidence from the one scumbag charged thus far to make anything stick, though. I had hoped that when they finally did get exposed by the seemingly inevitable trials as being part of the corruption, it would cause FIFA to implode and have to be reconstituted with some transparency. Things may not get any better if the only change is new faces in the old corrupt offices.

Here's hoping for a barnstorming Champions League final that affords the actual football some attention.

An intense and exciting final to bring the curtain down on the season. Several candidates for MOTM - Suarez and Neymar for their goals, Messi for participating in all three, particularly the decisive second, Morata for the havoc he created when Juve were in possession, Pogba for being everywhere, Buffon for a couple of world class saves.

The array of hairstyles on display was truly diabolical, though. Because these are the things that really matter. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't bet against Liverpool finishing above Man United next season, although the difference between 5th and 6th is only a few million quid. Still, all joking aside, Firmino does look pretty good. I'm sure Brendan will be playing him as a wing-back before long. :pinch: