Bellazon

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Thumbnail

*Addicted*

The Edit April 30th 2015 (MQ)

Photographer: David Bellemere

oi2BeFM0.jpg msdcwMAv.jpg ZEBXHDGO.jpg NDqO0vIi.jpg aCCUDYs3.jpg RpbWndhd.jpg 5zKvRfXf.jpg Yu0SPaMv.jpg NYrWaztV.jpg

Ahead of her new blockbuster release, model-turned-actress ROSIE HUNTINGTON-WHITELEY tells CHRISTINE LENNON why she’s taking every opportunity life throws her way.

The lobby of Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles is not exactly the last place on Earth one would go in search of a breathtaking beauty. The hotel has been an A-list hangout for as long as anyone in Tinseltown can remember, and yet, when Rosie Huntington-Whiteley walks in one morning for breakfast, everything seems to stop. The vacuum is switched off. The window cleaner pauses. It is impossible not to stare at her: all baby-giraffe legs, unique symmetrical features, and pillowy, supernatural lips. Even the waiter, who must surely be au fait with celebrities, practices a studied nonchalance as he takes her order for scrambled eggs on toast.

In a cream Isabel Marant top, black Paige Denim skinny jeans and sky-high Saint Laurent suede boots, her blond hair twisted into a loose bun, the 28-year-old model and actress is doing her very best impression of an LA cool-girl, one who dresses for comfort first and style second. But when she opens her mouth and that gentle voice rolls out, native English accent still very much intact, it is clear that she is an impostor, albeit one who is doing a very convincing imitation of a semi-regular local, in the middle of a press tour for her second film, Mad Max: Fury Road.

“It’s so casual [in LA],” says Huntington-Whiteley, as she stirs milk into her coffee. “I want to feel put together and polished, but people here aren’t very fashion conscious. There’s a fine balance between liking the way I look and not feeling overdressed, so I live in great T-shirts, denim and boots. You have to be comfortable and practical. But sometimes I’ll think, I’m putting on red lipstick and thigh-high boots and I’m going for it tonight!” she laughs. “I’ll show up somewhere and I’m sure people are saying, ‘Who is that girl and where does she think she’s going?’”

They are definitely asking: ‘Who is that girl?’, but not in the context Huntington-Whiteley means. For the past 12 years, she has built an impressive CV, even by supermodel standards, starring in campaigns for brands such as Burberry, Victoria’s Secret and Tommy Hilfiger; being the face – or rather, body – of Paige Denim; creating a lingerie collection and fragrance, Rosie for Autograph, for Marks & Spencer; and posing for the covers of glossy magazines.

“I’ve always been considered more of a commercial model,” says Huntington-Whiteley. “I started modeling when I was 16, which is just mental, and when I used to go to castings for the shows they would see me and say [using an American accent], ‘She looks too wholesome. She’s too healthy!’ And that’s bad because…? So I would think, ‘Well, thanks. I’ll take that as a compliment.’ I like that word, wholesome, so it’s hard for me to think of it as negative.”

Do not underestimate the skill that is required to pose regularly in underwear – or even less – and still appear wholesome. Raised by her mother, a fitness instructor, and father, a chartered surveyor, in the English countryside in Devon, Huntington-Whiteley credits her healthy body image to a childhood spent outdoors, playing with her younger brother and sister, Toby and Florence, for hours on end. Her body confidence and grounded sensibility come through loud and clear on camera, gifts that Huntington-Whiteley is deeply aware of, that she doesn’t take for granted, and that will likely propel her to a long career in film.

“It’s a funny thing,” she says, “but acting was never part of my plan. I didn’t consider pursuing it in any way. People would say, ‘You’re so full of personality! You should act!’ But I was so busy with modeling I didn’t think I could find the time. The chance to read for the two parts I’ve had – Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Mad Max – have sort of landed in my lap. I’ve only been to two auditions, really.”

The biggest adjustment in Huntington-Whiteley’s career transition has been staying in one place for the duration of the shoot. Though actors tend to live a nomadic lifestyle, it is nothing in comparison to the peripatetic schedule of a successful model. “For Mad Max, I was on location in Namibia for six months,” she says. “It’s the first time I can remember being in the same place for more than four weeks at a time.”

In the post-apocalyptic action film, Huntington-Whiteley plays the escaped concubine of an evil lord, part of a harem (which also includes characters played by Riley Keough, Zoë Kravitz and Abbey Lee Kershaw) that a renegade (Charlize Theron) is trying to usher to freedom, alongside Tom Hardy as Mad Max.

“It was very physically demanding,” says Huntington-Whiteley. “It was an exhausting few months. I’d have to fly back to London, which is a 12-hour flight, or LA, which involved three different planes and 36 hours of travel, to do shoots for contracts that I’d booked months before. It was a challenge to adjust and come back to your life, into your own clothes and personality. It’s not because I delved into a deep character or anything – there was very little dialogue – but it was really challenging.”

If anything, Huntington-Whiteley seems amused by her parallel career, and privileged to be learning alongside accomplished co-stars like Theron, who she describes as “powerful, a real force, fiercely intelligent and incredibly funny.” Whether more dramatic parts are in her future remains to be seen. “It’s not something I’m actively pursuing, but I’m open to it,” says Huntington-Whiteley. “I don’t think either of us really thinks of ourselves as actors.”

The other half of the “us” she is referring to is her boyfriend of five years, British actor Jason Statham who is 19 years her senior, the star of action movies such as The Transporter and The Expendables. While Huntington-Whiteley is open to the idea of having children, there are no immediate plans.

“Having a family is something I think about for sure,” she says, “and whether I’d live here in America or in England. But it’s not always as simple as that. I have no idea what will happen, but it’ll be interesting to find out, right? And nothing will be perfect, I’m sure.”

The tabloids often portray her relationship with Statham as tumultuous, though Huntington-Whiteley describes their domestic life (in a $13million modern house the pair recently bought in Beverly Hills) as “quiet”. The extreme attention the pair receives from the paparazzi back in London, on the other hand, can be disquieting.

“People go crazy for Jason. It can become a frenzy walking down the street with him. People relate to him and feel like he’s the guy they grew up with, so it’s tricky. You can’t always do the right thing,” she says, referring to the balance of maintaining privacy. “People will say, ‘What do you mean you don’t do your own grocery shopping?’ But I go to the supermarket and there are 20 photographers watching it. Doing normal stuff just isn’t the same. I still get self-conscious when people recognize me. But my mum always says, ‘Life doesn’t give you an opportunity like this to turn down.’”

She is grateful, she says, to be working steadily and successfully, far past the expiry date of many models’ careers. “And don’t get me wrong, it can be very glamorous. I’m going to renew my driver’s license today, and I get to take that dreaded test in a private room,” she laughs. “I can’t tell you the last time I stood in a queue!”
Mad Max: Fury Road is out May 14