Bellazon

Toni Garrn
Thumbnail

lisa-1

she's worked with Klaus Lamp before - for Otto and Peter Hahn. Nothing very high fashion in any event. :angry:

I suspect it's something similar this time, they are shooting too long for an ed; it must be a catalog combines with a campaign or something. (Maybe they'll use her for the whole Peter Hahn website this time, hooray.) 

My translation

Mrs. Garrn, there's hardly another medium that mirroers emotions as perfectly as music. Which status does music have in your life?
Toni: It's incredibly important. There's no workout session, no run or journey without my headphones. The first thing I do at home, even before taking off my shoes, is to turn on the music. Through my job, I'm often alone, and music always sets me in the mood I want to be in. Music in my job is equally important. I couldn't imagine a set without music.

You were born in Hamburg, a city with lots of famous German musicians and bands, such as Kettcar, Tomte or Wir sind Helden who first brought up the notion of the 'Hamburg School'. Is that something you personally like? What are your preferences?
I love music mainly because I love dancing to it, so my music always has a lot of bass and is very rhythmic. I particularly love Spanish latino music, because when I was 6 and living in Athens, I already went to a latino dance school and learned Mambo, Samba, Cha-cha and a lot of other styles. Also, I often listen to African drum music, because I spend a lot of time in Africa and love the culture - Reggaeton or good House basses with a strong or strange beat for example. Weirdly, slow House music works for falling asleep on a plane for me. I haven't listened to a lot of German music so far.

What's your favorite playlist at the moment?
 Very mixed. A lot of old school girl-power songs, such as Beyoncé or Missy Elliot. Currently a lot of Kygo, Zak Waters, The Weeknd. Seinabo Sey, Sam Smith, Andra Day. And my African playlists with Kanda Bongo Man, P Square, Buraka Som Sistema, Bollebof, and, a bit more famous, Shaggy or Sean Paul. 

How is a typical shooting with you? Do you listen to music before or during the shoot to get into the right mood?
No, not before. If I have to travel to set by car or by plane, I listen to music anyways. I always ask for music on set. In the studio, I like to listen to loud music, and often it is my own playlist we're listening to. On location shoot, the team usually has some kind of sound system. Without music, long shootings are harder and less creative, for almost everybody in the team. But there are also photographers who need silence in order to focus, then I have to adapt to them.

Do you also talk about music with your model friends in the industry?
Sure, there are some who are DJs themselves or sing. But I don't know many who share my passion for Latin and African music. But during Fashion Weeks, almost everybody has their headphones on at some point.

What are the musical preferences there? Can you agree to one sound at parties?
In NYC, most people listen to HipHop and Rap. I don't really like that, which is why I rarely party in NYC. But sometimes I can convince the DJ to play my kind of music. Fashion parties, particularly in Europe, often have very good DJs who play old 80s stuff, good Old School HipHop or very good Ibiza-Style House.

Who was the last person to show you really good new music and what was it?
I recently discovered Majid Jordan who is signed with Drake's label and listen to him a lot. Similar to The Weeknd, but I find it more exciting and the lyrics are less arrogant towards women. 

Do you have an all-time favorite song that never gets boring?
Runnin – Beyonce, Pretty Wings – Zak Waters, Younger – Seinoba Sey. At the moment.

Is there a song you connect with a special event in your life?
So many. There are a lot of runway shows I'll never forget because of the soundtrack. Lots of vacations where we were playing the same one or two songs again and again. The famous break-up songs, naturally, but I'd rather stay away from them. "Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse reminds me of growing up in Hamburg very much, and of my first experiences as a 'teenager', if you will. 

Do you still recall your first concert? By who and where was it?
Yes, it was after a Hugo Boss show. MGMT was playing and I was 15 and already a big fan of theirs. I was lucky, my first concert was almost private, at an after show party.

Is there some 'musical excess' from your childhood or teenage years you're embarrassed of today? 
When I lived in Athens, I was playing swedisch band Aqua over and over again. 'I'm a barbie girl' and so on. But I guess that's normal when you're 8 or 9 years old. 

A lot of actors and models appear in music lyrics. [...] If there ever was a song about you, who should it be by?
Missy Elliot, in a cool Reggaeton mix.

The American music scene and market often seem miles ahead of the German one. Who do you think is worth watching in 2016?
Majid Jordan and Andra Day. Andra Day's voice is unbelievable. A similar phenomenon as Emily Sandé. I 'discovered' her many years ago and now she's everywhere all of a sudden.