Bellazon

Why can't short/petite women be models and walk runway?

dizzymisslizzy

Lydia Hearst, Kate Moss, Devon Aoki, Mona Johannesson, Vibe Sorrenson, Lilliane Ferrazi, Laetitia Casta, Liberty Ross...and others I forgot are all under 5'8 I believe :) . And some who are listed at 5'8 are under 5'8 ;) .

I like tall, short and inbetween. What is important to me for a runway model is having a great (preferably distinctive and memorable) walk :) .

Hope that helps :blush: .

Yeah, those models are exceptions but are extremely rare ones and the shortest is like 5'5" or 5'6"? The rule of thumb though is tall or tall-ish.

Personally, I don't care for height that much, by that much I mean I prefer at least 4'11"-5'11" max. So, that's a broad range. I, like you, think the walk is crucial, but I pay much attention to the look.

Thank you for your opinion.

Lydia Hearst, Kate Moss, Devon Aoki, Mona Johannesson, Vibe Sorrenson, Lilliane Ferrazi, Laetitia Casta, Liberty Ross...and others I forgot are all under 5'8 I believe :) . And some who are listed at 5'8 are under 5'8 ;) .

I like tall, short and inbetween. What is important to me for a runway model is having a great (preferably distinctive and memorable) walk :) .

Hope that helps :blush: .

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I recognize this thread is old but I disagree. I think society is made to think taller models look better on the run way and that clothes look better on them. And find it hard to believe that most average height women would look bad in a fashion show. As for film. is not always the short women that get cast. in some roles they want tall women for roles that would not know how to portray those roles. of course short actresses may be credited to the short male actors. Funny how that works.  And is not the idea of fashion shows to see how clothes look, but how can we really tell if the women wearing them is nothing like the potential buyers?  And i am still waiting on a stand in role I can apply for. being 5'4, I am still waiting, since most calls ask for taller height. 

Runway models have to be tall so that people can see the proportions of the clothing better. Runway models don't have curves because it's distracting. They want a walking hanger. Short models can be used for photographic and commercial work. If you are under 5'7", you are only going to be a commercial print model or glamour model. If you are really fit, you can be a fitness model but a lot of over-the-hill commercial models do that work and professional athletes, its very competitive. Devon Aoiki and a lot of shorter models started out as children or knew the right people. Being 5'4", your only option is real or character modeling which is what actors do to pay the bills. Depending on where you live, it might be easier to get into. If you are American, good luck. You have to pay for all your promotional material. Everyone and your mother will try to scam you. DO NOT GO TO MODELING SCHOOLS. they are all scams.

21 hours ago, modelknowledge said:

Runway models have to be tall so that people can see the proportions of the clothing better. Runway models don't have curves because it's distracting. They want a walking hanger. Short models can be used for photographic and commercial work. 

Another reason given by the industry is that all other things being equal, it's easier to see a very tall woman than one of average height.  E.g., if you're not one of the persons favored with a seat in the first two rows but instead are in a "Bob Uecker" bleacher seat, it's easier to see a 5'11" woman on the runway than it is seeing a 5'7" woman.