Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Thanks for more Leo and Rih pics Barbie and Calibi!

Guess this discussion is best suited here, but with Leo's recent visit with the Pope and his trip to India, wearing the red string bracelet related to Hinduism and Buddism, I wonder if hes become more religious recently. I think a long time ago he said he was agnostic, but he seems to be mentioning heaven, God, and a lot of other things more often.  

I remember a pic of them greeting eachother recently... :p

Christina Milian Hints She Has Hooked Up With Famous ‘White Guys’ — Including, Possibly, Leonardo DiCaprio!

“I’ve hooked up with white guys, and they’re good ones,” the 34-year-old singer, who split from Lil Wayne last September, admitted during the no-holds-barred chat. “One was crazy and wild and fun.”

Von and Weiss immediately pressed the songstress for more details and listed off names of Hollywood hunks, including John Stamos, George Clooney, DiCaprio, Charlie Sheen and even Justin Bieber.

“No, no,” Milian — in a fit of giggles — replied to each name, as the duo brought up ‘90s star Kirk Cameron.

“OK! That’s enough! I’m not going to tell you guys,” Milian replied, before hinting at the Revenant actor. “Go back to Leonardo — it was not Kirk Cameron!”

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/christina-milian-hints-shes-hooked-up-with-famous-white-guys-including-possibly-leonardo-dicaprio-w162733

4 hours ago, katchitup said:

Guess this discussion is best suited here, but with Leo's recent visit with the Pope and his trip to India, wearing the red string bracelet related to Hinduism and Buddism, I wonder if hes become more religious recently. I think a long time ago he said he was agnostic, but he seems to be mentioning heaven, God, and a lot of other things more often.  

Good observation... perhaps he's pursuing spiritual guidance.

I think this article brings up some good points and truth :Angel:

7 Reasons Leonardo DiCaprio Hasn’t Won An Oscar Yet
Deserve got nothin’ to do with it.

We currently live in an era where if you even suggest in the slightest that Leonardo DiCaprio isn’t The Greatest Thing To Ever Happen To Us Ever®, then you’re obviously an idiot, a moron who doesn’t understand the genius of Leo’s work; doesn’t understand the transient beauty of that gif from The Great Gatsby where he lifts the champagne glass and gives off that little smirk that should be registered as a lethal weapon to women everywhere.

That he hasn’t won an Oscar yet is a perceived tragedy, an embarrassment on behalf of The Academy, who clearly should’ve given the 41-year-old DiCaprio the award he has deserved for what feels like an age.

Sarcasm aside, the reasons for DiCaprio’s “slight” are multiple, and it remains that, great as he can be, he probably hasn’t won for a reason. Whether that’s on the actor himself or The Academy is up for debate, but what people really need to understand is that it doesn’t in any way lessen his status as a performer.

Still, people can no longer seem to separate Leo the Actor from Leo the Neglected, and no amount of reasoning will ever convince Leo’s Oscar Groupies™ (look out for them in the comments section) that you might have a point when you suggest that maybe the 41-year-old actor is only half-way through his life’s work as an actor, and that an Oscar win is meaningless in the context of his career outside of meme-land anyway.

With that in mind, here’s seven reasons why Leonardo DiCaprio hasn’t won an Oscar yet.

7. He’s Only 41
If I keep mentioning that Leonardo DiCaprio is only 41-years-old, it’s because it’s important. It’s probably the most important thing to consider when you weigh-up why the actor is yet to win an Academy Award. Let’s put aside DiCaprio’s Best Supporting Actor nomination for What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (received when he was only nineteen), and focus on the Best Actor award, which is the one his fans seem to crave for him so badly anyway.

In the last 45 years, only 14 men have won before the age of 40, and these include such names as Jack Nicholson, Robert De Niro and Daniel Day Lewis, actors likely to appear in any top twenty of all-time list. These numbers aren’t particularly damning (especially when you consider that the average age for Best Actor win is 44) until you put them into the context of the words people adamant DiCaprio should’ve won by now often use: overdue; finally (as in when will he finally); snubbed.

Martin Scorsese was overdue when the Academy relented and basically gave him a lifetime achievement Oscar for The Departed. Roger Deakins needs to finally win. Peter O’Toole was snubbed, his eight Oscar nominations over his entire career never yielding one single win.

None of these words should be used in relation to DiCaprio, an actor only half way through his career with plenty of time to win an Oscar yet. His three Best Actor nominations before The Revenant this year came at the ages of 30 (The Aviator), 32 (Blood Diamond), and 39 (The Wolf of Wall Street) respectively. This is a pretty normal trajectory. He’s 41-years-old. Calm down.

6. He Wasn’t Even Nominated For His Best Performance
While never anything less than good in the Best Actor roles he’s been nominated for, it remains that not a single one is revolutionary.

If you can put your hand on your heart and say that Leonardo DiCaprio is pantheon-great in The Aviator or Blood Diamond or The Wolf Of Wall Street, then fair enough, but I suspect that most people here are equating “very good” with “great”, and while of course those terms are subjective and diffuse, it remains that none of that trio would rank in any list of groundbreaking performances since 2000 (whereas Jamie Foxx’s win for Ray in the year of The Aviator would, as would Chiwetel Ejiofor’s nominated performance for 12 Years a Slave in 2013, a loss that reeks far more of snubbery than any of DiCaprio’s).

In fact, the closest DiCaprio has ever gotten to being truly great is in The Departed, a phenomenal turn which sees him play an everyman for a change (more on that later). However he did not receive a nomination for The Departed because Warner Bros. didn’t want to favour him over co-stars Matt Damon and Jack Nicholson, preferring instead to suggest him for nomination for his work in Blood Diamond. DiCaprio, himself refusing to campaign against his co-stars as a Supporting Actor, was subsequently not bought any slots by the studio in that pool, and thus his best ever performance was not nominated in either category. Politics, eh?

If DiCaprio had been nominated and lost for The Departed, talk of oversight or a snub would certainly be more justifiable; he is arguably better in The Departed than the Best Actor winner that year (Forest Whitaker for The Last King Of Scotland), and he would’ve won for a much more deserving film than either that (The Last King of Scotland) or Blood Diamond.

5. And The Competition Is Always Tough When He Is
As alluded to in the prior entry, DiCaprio’s fellow Oscar nominees are always a pretty formidable bunch.

Still sticking to Best Actor, the 2004 group saw the actor up against the aforementioned Jamie Foxx, electric as Ray Charles in Ray, and Academy vet Clint Eastwood, nominated then for Best Actor for the first time since 1992’s Unforgiven. If Foxx didn’t win, you can bet your life that the Academy would’ve sooner rewarded an old favourite rather than making DiCaprio the second youngest Best Actor winner ever (after Adrien Brody, who was 29 when he won for The Pianist).

The 2006 bench was a little weaker, and if DiCaprio had been allowed to be nominated for The Departed, there’s a good chance he might’ve won. Saying that, Forest Whitaker is impressive in his own right in The Last King Of Scotland, an Academy-friendly performance that rightly won over DiCaprio’s good turn in Blood Diamond. Moreover, 2006 saw the last of Peter O’Toole’s eight Oscar nominations, the actor selected for his touching work in Venus. Again, you have to think that if it wasn’t going to be Whitaker, it had to be O’Toole, and the chance for Oscar to right one of its very worst wrongs.

2013 saw the strongest bench, with DiCaprio nominated for The Wolf Of Wall Street alongside Bruce Dern (Nebraska), Christian Bale (American Hustle), Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave). Ejiofor should’ve won for what is one of the great screen performances of all time, but alas the Academy fell for The McConaissance, honouring McConaughey for his good but overrated work as Ron Woodrow. DiCaprio really was the fifth favourite here, then, lacking in McConaughey’s momentum, Bale’s status as an AMPAS favourite, Dern’s never-honoured cult legacy, and the eventually Best Picture-winning power of Ejiofor’s 12 Years.

4. His Nominated Films Have Not Been Overly Rewarded In Other Categories
While it’s becoming increasingly rare that the Best Actor winner comes from the eventual Best Picture winner (this has happened only twice since DiCaprio was first nominated for Best Actor in ’04), it remains that the Best Actor winner usually stars in a film that gains momentum and wins in other categories. And while The Aviator won a group of Oscars (mainly for technical awards, though Cate Blanchett did win Best Supporting Actress), neither Blood Diamond nor The Wolf Of Wall Street won any of the five Oscars they were each nominated for.

Of the fifteen Best Actor-winning performances since 2000, eleven of them have been in films that won at least one other Oscar on the night, suggesting that DiCaprio was never likely to win for films which in hindsight look like they were never much-loved in Academy circles.

Things look much better for DiCaprio this year, however, the actor looking more and more like a lock as The Revenant continues to dominate Oscar talk.

3. And He Hasn’t Been Nominated As Much As People Seem To Think
While four Best Actor nods in twelve years (that’s including the one for The Revenant) is nothing to baulk at, it still comes as a surprise – considering how much talk of his lack of Oscar glory dominates DiCaprio discourse, anyway – that the actor hasn’t been nominated more in that period. The way people go on, you’d be forgiven for thinking that it’s eight or nine awards he’s missed out on.

And while I’ve already gone into how the performances he has been nominated for were probably never going to win Oscar gold anyway, there’s the hint that Leo’s Oscar Groupies™ just assume that most of his big roles are automatically selected, an assumption that can be disproved in four seconds by the internet.

Of course, not everyone needs to know exactly what DiCaprio was nominated for and when (in fact no-one has ever needed to know such things), but if you’re going to get all passionately vitriolic about it, then it helps if you know and understand what you’re getting so riled up about.

2. His Predilection Towards Big, Flawed Characters Might Have Actually Hindered Him
So far in his career Leonardo DiCaprio has, in no particular order, played these men: Arthur Rimbaud; Howard Hughes; one half of Romeo and Juliet; Jay Gatsby; J. Edgar Hoover; King Louis XIV; Jordan Belfort; and Frank Abagnale Jr.

What these men all have in common is not necessarily that they’re all incarnations of either famous literary or historical figures, but rather that they’re all towering ones. One of the most iconic tragic poets of all time. A film director-cum-Aviation pioneer. One of Shakespeare’s most enduring characters. The central figure of The Great American Novel. The founder of the FBI. The King of France. Two notorious corporate criminals. What’s more, they’re all doomed people; brilliant, yes, but also by turns nasty, selfish and insecure.

And while, of course, The Academy loves a biographical turn, it remains that DiCaprio’s, good as they can be (and he’s especially good as Gatsby and Hughes), might have been a little too bereft of the good old triumph-over-adversity narrative that Oscar loves so much (think Eddie Redmayne winning as Stephen Hawking, or Adrien Brody’s win for The Pianist). It might’ve served DiCaprio better had he taken a few more everyman roles, something possibly more in keeping with McConaughey’s work in Dallas Buyers Club. This might’ve balanced out his performances as big historical figures a bit, lending the actor a perhaps wider range in the process. As it stands, we, and therefore The Academy, are too used to seeing DiCaprio go Big (capital B) – and go home empty handed as a consequence.

1. Maybe He Just Simply Hasn’t Deserved To?
Deserve is a strange word to use when referring to the Oscars, and as The Wire said, deserve rarely has anything to do with it. Except that here maybe it does, and maybe Leonardo DiCaprio hasn’t won an Oscar yet for one simple reason: he hasn’t deserved to.

He’s brilliant in all the roles he’s been nominated for, but in no year is he the absolute, far-and-away best on show. For the roles he hasn’t been nominated for, there are only a couple where he truly needed to be, and even then he still wouldn’t have been the obvious front-runner. He’s only 41 and he’s had five acting nominations overall, a great achievement in its own right and a baffling one when people try to use it as some sort of example of how bad DiCaprio has it.

Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, near good-looking stars-cum-actors of the same quality, only have three. Paul Newman, a similar kind of star to DiCaprio in many ways, had two less nominations than DiCaprio does now at the same age, and he would have to wait another 20-odd years to win the damn thing. DiCaprio is 90% going to win this year. Would Paul Newman have been subject to endless memes and gifs and articles about how much of a travesty it is that he’s yet to win an Oscar?

Of course, none of this will matter to Leo’s Oscar Groupies™, who can only see a gorgeous, talented, likeable actor being victimised, because he’s clearly an impeachable icon among cinema’s great stars, and how could you not give him an Oscar when he so clearly deserves one because he was in that film that you and your girlfriend both LOVED, the one with all the drugs or something, and he does that funny dance that you found in gif form, and now you trot it out every February and moan about how Leonardo DiCaprio didn’t win an Oscar, AGAIN.

Well, there are reasons DiCaprio has yet to win an Oscar, and by refusing to even acknowledge them, people are showcasing a distinct misunderstanding of how the Academy Awards actually work. But whatever, this year will likely put an end to all that, and I for one can’t f*cking wait.

Source

^Good points good points, especially the ones on him not getting noms on his best performances. Funny enough some of his best roles are the roles he didn't even get a nom for. His performances in The Departed and Catch Me if You Can are like much better in my opinion than roles he got noms for like Wolf.

Honestly while I liked the Revenant it is NOT the performance of his career. But like I said before these Oscars aren't awarding for an entire body of work (at least they are not supposed to) they are nominated for the yearly roles at hand. And the Revenant was among the best of the year. The best performance ever from Leo? No it wasn't, at least I didn't think it was. Yes he gave alot of emotion through little words but it was more the physicality of it. But yah I want him to get it because he's constantly put out great work and amazing films more than any other actor of his generation and deserves to get recognition for it..

I think the best roles Leo plays are not dark crazy biopic characters, but the troubled, vulnerable every day man like he played in The Departed and Catch Me if You Can. 

LOL That quiz just decided by the Leo quote you picked. Because i tried again and picked a different Leo quote and got a different Leo :laugh: 

Anyways I got Frank :laugh:

You got: Frank Abagnale, Jr. from “Catch Me If You Can”

Sly, smart, and gifted with the gab, Frank never fails to impress. He’s charming and you just can’t help falling in love with him.