Bellazon

Resident Evil Village

@Enrico_sw  @SympathysSilhouette  @Michael*

Have you guys checked out this new game?

In the past week I've been busy going through it and I think it's really outstanding & one of the best/most important horror games since RE7.  It's about 2.5 times longer than the original and it'll probably be expanded with more DLC.  The second game is part of a trilogy that began with RE7.

The game is a hybrid of RE4/RE7 plus apparent influences from many other games like Outlast, Far Cry, Bloodborne, Wolfenstein, etc.  There is a surprisingly large amount of diverse content in the game which the trailers didn't reveal at all.  It deviates from RE7 in the basic sense that it's less focused on horror and more on action adventure.

Resident Evil is for me, one of those series that's always entertaining, even when the material isn't the greatest. Admittedly, the combat focus isn't really my preference (I'm in the camp that prefers RE 1-3 to 4-6), but I plan on giving it a try.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:17 PM, Michael* said:

Resident Evil is for me, one of those series that's always entertaining, even when the material isn't the greatest. Admittedly, the combat focus isn't really my preference (I'm in the camp that prefers RE 1-3 to 4-6), but I plan on giving it a try.

It looks like there is some cut content with it (particularly the villager stuff so emphasized in the marketing & demos) but the final product made it.  There's still a focus on horror but it's significantly less than RE7.

I am a big fan of the original RE2/RE3.  According to the director of the game they changed the tone of this game because customer feedback from RE7 considered it to be "too scary!".

However thankfully in this game Ethan on Hardcore (the optimal level to play) is not equipped like a commando and makes due with single-shot or semi-auto weapons.  Ammunition supply is a major issue in the game.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:05 PM, Cult Icon said:

It looks like there is some cut content with it (particularly the villager stuff so emphasized in the marketing & demos) but the final product made it.  There's still a focus on horror but it's significantly less than RE7.

I am a big fan of the original RE2/RE3.  According to the director of the game they changed the tone of this game because customer feedback from RE7 considered it to be "too scary!".

However thankfully in this game Ethan on Hardcore (the optimal level to play) is not equipped like a commando and makes due with single-shot or semi-auto weapons.  Ammunition supply is a major issue in the game.

That does seem like a common problem, particularly with the survival horror genre, where in order for the game to feel scary they make the central character relatively weak, give them low health, low ammunition, limited supplies and suchlike. I don't mind that in theory, but it is still a video game that needs to feel playable and somewhat balanced, and I myself usually find a lack of ammo more frustrating than scary.

Like you say though, I think RE is a series that will always look to strike a balance between horror elements and action. Silent Hill (obviously depending on whether or not Konami ever lets it see the light of day again) would perhaps be the more viable option for fans of out-and-out horror.

8 hours ago, Michael* said:

That does seem like a common problem, particularly with the survival horror genre, where in order for the game to feel scary they make the central character relatively weak, give them low health, low ammunition, limited supplies and suchlike. I don't mind that in theory, but it is still a video game that needs to feel playable and somewhat balanced, and I myself usually find a lack of ammo more frustrating than scary.

I've seen an entire hardcore playthrough.  Basically the village is mostly non-story related so it's used to gather resources.  The village itself of course is occupied by monsters.   You loot houses, hunt animals, and sell items to the "Duke" (a trader) for money.  Then you use the cash to buy upgrades, ammunition and guns from him.  

The actual story parts don't give the player enough ammo, upgrades, items, and so forth for an easy time.

The hardest mode, the "Village of Shadows" difficulty has some problems that don't make it the most fun.  HP is really low. Enemies are bullet sponges, and move fast and there is even less ammo available.  The playthrough I'm watching show that the main strategy is to avoid as many of the non-boss as possible in order to save ammo for the bosses.  So a lot of running.  The old school RE was like this too on the hardest difficulty.

It would be cool if a patch would introduce an ultra-hard mode that had fast enemies, low HP but decent ammo availability.