Bellazon

The Mandalorian

Enrico_sw

7 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

I think S1 of The Mandalorian is average at best. It shouldn't even be nominated for an Emmy, but if it pisses of KK and her minions I'm all for it.

Under the reign of Kathleen Kennedy, the box office results of the main movies kept decreasing, one movie lost money, the fans are divided, the franchise is broken, etc. The only thing that worked well and united the fandom was the Mandalorian (which was made without KK :rofl:)

In a normal world, KK would've been fired a long time ago... It's like she has some kind of privilege :smoker:

On 7/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, jkjk said:

The Mandalorian's only Emmy nomination was for best drama series. I'm not an Emmy historian, but it must be rare for a show's only nomination to come in the most important category.

Given that it was often riddled with slight and shallow storytelling, a nomination for outstanding drama really feels like a stretch. Not to say that the show's bizarrely short run didn't yield a few decent episodes, but far more time was spent trying to ape classic Western tropes than developing the plot.

3 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Given that it was often riddled with slight and shallow storytelling, a nomination for outstanding drama really feels like a stretch. Not to say that the show's bizarrely short run didn't yield a few decent episodes, but far more time was spent trying to ape classic Western tropes than developing the plot.

It certainly seemed weird to me, but I imagine next years nominations may be even stranger with the lack of new production.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It made very little sense for Mando, Greef and especially Cara Dune to have never heard of the Jedi or the Force in S1 and the trailer makes it look like they're expanding on that premise, which honestly, has me a little worried about how this all might go down.

It sort of puts me in mind of that almost certainly mythical story about James Cameron pitching Aliens by just drawing an "S" at the end of the title and then turning it into a dollar sign. Part of me imagines Favreau in the pitch to Disney, writing Yoda on a chalkboard, pausing for effect, and writing Baby in front of it.

It's hard to imagine any meaningful info on Yoda's homeworld or species being forthcoming in S2, although I must confess, I'm not sure if that's a journey I'd be down for taking anyway. Some things are just best left alone.

9 hours ago, Michael* said:

It made very little sense for Mando, Greef and especially Cara Dune to have never heard of the Jedi or the Force in S1 and the trailer makes it look like they're expanding on that premise, which honestly, has me a little worried about how this all might go down.

There's always been continuity problems in Star Wars (for example between the OT and PT), but it's always been acceptable enough when Lucas was in charge, because within a trilogy, the continuity was pretty good and the spirit was there.

However, with productions that are within the orbit of Kathleen Kennedy, the storylines are mediocre: her trilogy is widely inconsistent with the previous trilogies and with... itself. That's what happens when people in charge don't have a plan, hire different directors... who don't know much about SW.

Jon Favreau has done the Mandalorian outside Kennedy's mediocre influence. So it's been pretty faithful so far. I agree it's weird for the characters to not know about the Jedi, but I want to give Favreau the benefit of the doubt. I guess you could argue that the communication is not good in the galaxy far far away.... (they don't seem to have the internet :laugh:), but that's a little bit of stretch (I want to be considerate with Favreau's work, because at least he's trying to do good SW). I guess inconsistencies can fade out in the viewer's mind if he's really willing to use his suspension of disbelief...

8 hours ago, Michael* said:

It's hard to imagine any meaningful info on Yoda's homeworld or species being forthcoming in S2, although I must confess, I'm not sure if that's a journey I'd be down for taking anyway. Some things are just best left alone.

Yes, I agree. It's good to have mystery around some things. Keeping the secrecy of secrets increases their value.

I guess it's like in love relationships or in flirting, it's always better to keep some mystery.

9 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

Looks okay. :idk:

I'd say it looks better than season 1

9 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

The show won't last long if it's still the Baby Yoda show.

I agree. :yes:  I trust Favreau so far. Let's see how he handles things in season 2!

On 9/16/2020 at 10:23 PM, Enrico_sw said:

There's always been continuity problems in Star Wars (for example between the OT and PT), but it's always been acceptable enough when Lucas was in charge, because within a trilogy, the continuity was pretty good and the spirit was there.

However, with productions that are within the orbit of Kathleen Kennedy, the storylines are mediocre: her trilogy is widely inconsistent with the previous trilogies and with... itself. That's what happens when people in charge don't have a plan, hire different directors... who don't know much about SW.

Jon Favreau has done the Mandalorian outside Kennedy's mediocre influence. So it's been pretty faithful so far. I agree it's weird for the characters to not know about the Jedi, but I want to give Favreau the benefit of the doubt. I guess you could argue that the communication is not good in the galaxy far far away.... (they don't seem to have the internet :laugh:), but that's a little bit of stretch (I want to be considerate with Favreau's work, because at least he's trying to do good SW). I guess inconsistencies can fade out in the viewer's mind if he's really willing to use his suspension of disbelief...

Indeed, the timelines have never really been what you'd call concrete. It might have worked if, like in S1, the stories took place in remote locations and on the fringes of society, far away from the concerns of those people, or perhaps if the Jedi had remained as a network of loosely affiliated warriors or monks. However with the Lucas prequels portraying them essentially as a government-sponsored cult who swanned about negotiating tax policies, it stretches suspension of disbelief just that little bit too far for me. It would be like if two decades from now, no one believed that the Church of England existed.

In fairness, it probably doesn't help that, with the extended universe and whatnot, it seems like there's a Jedi in hiding on every other planet, and that the Empire didn't so much kill them as just pull them all out of a rolodex. :laugh:

On 9/16/2020 at 10:27 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Yes, I agree. It's good to have mystery around some things. Keeping the secrecy of secrets increases their value.

I guess it's like in love relationships or in flirting, it's always better to keep some mystery.

Yeah, I think in an era of television where everything is so heavily serialised, I don't mind the idea of having each episode delivering a self-contained story. That way, taken out of the Wars context, it could stand on its own as half-decent science fiction and not try too hard to answer questions that nobody asked.

Usually, explaining away all the origins and motives (not only in this franchise, in many others too) of every character succeeds only in making them feel more like CGI or people running around in costumes, and to me the appeal of the series was always the way it captured the imagination.

• 1 month later...

Not that I'm especially jazzed about any of the proposed explanations for her presence in the show, my money is still on the much-vaunted Ahsoka reveal happening in the last few minutes of S2's closing episode. She may even literally just appear onscreen to set up a potential third season.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Matt! said:

S2E1 is out!

My hope beforehand was for S2 to start marking its own territory a lot more so I sort of wish they hadn't gone back to Tatooine quite yet, although thankfully the opening episode was better than S1's paper-thin Tatooine one.

The stuff with Amy Sedaris isn't altogether working. It's alright in small doses, but it feels at times like she's acting in a completely different show to everyone else.