Bellazon

ShahRukh Khan
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Shah Rukh calls it quits with Shankar

Shah Rukh Khan had called off the sci-fi Robot with South director Shankar owing to creative differences. Afterwards, Shah Rukh had said “Yes, we have called it off. We were not happy with a few things; Shankar’s take on the film was completely different from mine. We had worked very hard on the film and it is sad that we had to call it off. Both Shankar and I decided that we won’t make it together.”

However, no one said what exactly the creative differences were. Shah Rukh had loved the script and was all set to produce the film under his banner Red Chillies Entertainment. So what went wrong?

Apparently, Shah Rukh and Shankar parted ways because Shah Rukh wanted the special effects of the film to be done in his SFX studio in Khar, but Shankar wanted to do the same in Chennai. According to our well-placed source in the film industry, “Robot had a lot of special effects. For the whole exercise of special effects to be completed, Shankar would have had to stay in Mumbai for six months at least. Shankar didn’t want to stay so long in Mumbai. Shankar argued, but Shah Rukh was adamant.”

SRK had even given a signing amount of Rs 5 crore to Shankar. Our source further reveals, “Shankar’s fee for the film was going to be Rs 12 crore. When Shah Rukh gave him the signing amount, he deducted the TDS. Later, Shankar returned the entire signing amount but without deducting the TDS - Rs 5 crore.”

We sent a message to Shah Rukh, but he did not reply. Shah Rukh’s next project will be Yash Raj Films’ Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, which will be directed by Aditya Chopra.

When SRK met The Great Khali

Shah Rukh Khan has invited WWE Champion, The Great Khali, for dinner at Mannat as his kids Aryan and Suhana are huge fans of the wrestler.

King Khan has even organised a private jet to fly Khali to Kolkata to join the Knight Riders for their match on May 18.

So, does SRK fulfill every wish of son Aryan and daughter Suhana? Well, it looks like he certainly made this wish of theirs come true.

Not only did he personally invite Khali for lunch at home, but he even wants to share his latest passion, Cricket and the IPL, with him.

Says a well-placed source close to Khali, “SRK has invited Khali for lunch with his family at Mannat. His kids are big fans of the wrestler.”

Khali will be shooting a crucial action sequence of the film Rama - The Saviour before flying off to Kolkata.

A source from the production unit of the film says “We had agreed to part ways with Khali but given his importance in our story, we had a mutual settlement.

Sahil Khan and Tanushree Dutta also insisted on a new deal with the wrestler, keeping in mind Khali's popularity with the masses.”

SRK excited about 'My Name is Khan'

SRK excited about 'My Name is Khan'One of Karan Johar’s most awaited films My Name is Khan starring Shah Rukh Khan is set to go on the floors in a few months from now. But even before the first scene is shot we have some news for you.

The industry is abuzz with rumours that Shah Rukh will get the negative rights of My Name Is Khan. Our well-placed source from the film industry says, “Karan has offered Shah Rukh 50 per cent stakes in the profits of the film, and in return, Shah Rukh will work on the film without charging a single penny.”

Karan made this offer to Shah Rukh a few days ago. “Shah Rukh Khan loved Karan’s idea. SRK is very excited about My Name Is Khan’s story,” our source further says.

In the film, Shah Rukh plays an activist who gets kidnapped by terrorists and how his attitude and entire perspective towards life changes subsequently. According to the source, My Name Is Khan will have nothing that the audience has come to expect from Karan’s films as it is a serious film.

Our source adds, “Since Shah Rukh will not charge his fee, the budget of My Name Is Khan is unlikely to exceed Rs 15 crore. Going by the track record of Shah Rukh’s last blockbuster Om Shanti Om which was reportedly sold for close to Rs 80 crore, My Name Is Khan also is estimated to go for around that much money.

A Karan-Shah Rukh project in today’s times will definitely command and receive that amount. Thus, the film stands to gain a minimum of Rs 60 crore as table profit. Add to this the box-office collections.”

The earlier plan was that Shah Rukh will work on My Name is Khan as soon as he is free from the Indian Premeir League matches (he owns the Kolkata Knight Riders team) and Kya Aap Paanchvi Paas Se Tez Hain?, which he is currently hosting. But when Aditya Chopra requested Karan to allow Shah Rukh to start his film Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi first; Karan immediately obliged.

The hunt for the female lead of My Name Is Khan is still on. The role was offered to Kajol who turned it down for reasons best known to her. The film is expected to be shot entirely in Los Angeles and New York.

Karan Johar refused to answer our repeated calls and text messages.

Tollywood Calling - SRK and Juhi

Suddenly Tollywood stars are on SRK and Juhi’s speed dial. Thanks to the IPL hype, almost all Tollywood stars have jostled for space in the VVIP box to cheer the King’s men on.

While the proximity is sure improving the brand worth of our entertainers, is it also nudging them on to explore greener pastures in Mumbai? Or, is it finally working the other way round where our local talents are regaining their faith in their own abilities and trying to entrench their position so that it strengthens the local industry status as well?

Director Anirudhha Roychowdhury, who was invited by the officials of Kolkata Knight Riders to watch a match at the Eden Gardens, says that the IPL focus on Kolkata has surely added to the momentum at which things are being done in Kolkata. “It’s more of a fraternity feeling that’s taking Tollywood to the stadium. Since a lot of business deals in the entertainment circuit happen at social gatherings, I wouldn’t be surprised if people strike such deals even on the cricket pitch. Kolkata is drawing attention now and one hears companies like Reliance and Mahindra & Mahindra showing interest in making Bangla films. This IPL connection should teach us a thing or two about professionalism and inspire us to make Bangla films that tap the overseas market the way Bollywood has been doing in the recent past.” As for brain drain, Aniruddha says, he, for one, wouldn’t wish to shift to Mumbai. “Distance is not a big deal in the shrinking world of today. I had an offer to make a Hindi film but I wish to work in Kolkata.”

Divya Khosla Kumar, creative head of T-series, who had come down to Kolkata to watch one IPL match, says that she was pleasantly surprised with the support that the Knight Riders had garnered. “Though I had been to Kolkata earlier, I’m now convinced that it would be a good idea to tap the local market. Kolkata directors and actors have always done well in Mumbai and it would make sense if we invested there. Since we plan to invest down South, we might do a market research in Kolkata to figure out how to enter that market.”

Indrani Halder, who flew down to Kolkata as Juhi’s special guest for yesterday’s match, says, “These personalised invitations have added prestige to Tollywood. They are an index of one’s achievement too. It’s judicious to maintain this rapport even after the IPL is over.”

Though it might be a far-fetched dream to use big ticket invites as a permit to Bollywood stardom, stars could shrug off their smugness and proactively use these connections to foster stronger business ties in Bengal. As Nilanjanaa, the better half of actor Jisshu Sengupta, says, “My husband is a cricket buff and I know he watches the match because of the love for the game. I do see a lot of chance for Tollywood to turn friendships into professional associations.” Is Tollywood listening?

Shah Rukh begging for Aamir Khan's attention

Shah Rukh Khan is at the receiving end of attack by some of the Bollywood biggies on their respective blogs. After Amitabh Bachcahn took a pot shot at SRK on his blog, now it is Aamir Khan who has chosen him as his target.

Aamir Khan on his blog dated 13th May says:

"I'm sitting under a tree, on the edge of a valley, approximately 5000 feet above sea level. The river Krishna flows far below us snaking its way among the Sahyadri mountains. A cool breeze is blowing, jannat ki hawa (breeze from the heavens), as my mother calls it. Ammi, Ira and Junaid are by my side and we are in the middle of one of our favourite board games 'Settlers Of Catan'. Shahrukh is licking my feet and I am feeding him biscuits every now and then. What more can I ask for?

Now, before you jump to any conclusions let me add that Shahrukh is the name of our dog. And before you jump to any further conclusions let me add that I had nothing to do with naming him. In fact Shah Rukh is the dog of the caretakers of our house. When I bought this house it came with the caretakers and their dog! Apparently Shahrukh (the actor) was shooting for a commercial in this house a few years ago, and that very day the caretakers bought a pup…, and named him Shahrukh. What are the chances of me buying a house which comes with a dog called Shahrukh!!!

Some of my friends claim that I bought the house just because of the dog. I would have to be a serious fan of Shahrukh's to want to do that. Your guess…

All I can say is I'm waiting for him to come over."

Aamir ends his blog by saying, "Well Shahrukh is once again begging for my attention, so let me get back to him. He is smelling too much, I think he needs a bath. "Heel boy, heel."

Hallmark of A Leader - Shah Rukh Khan

Liquor baron Vijay Mallya has lots to learn from Shah Rukh Khan. While the poor performance of Mallya’s team, Bangalore Royal Challengers irked him to sack Charu Sharma, the manager of his IPL team, Shah Rukh who sailed in the same boat had a different approach.

Our source from the Indian Premier League (IPL) informs, "When Shah Rukh’s team, Kolkata Knight Riders lost four matches in a row, Khan was very worried. People around assumed that he would lose his patience. But surprisingly he maintained his cool and constantly motivated his team."

Shah Rukh regularly sent motivating messages to his team members, especially his captain Saurav Ganguly, before every match. And that’s not all, he has also gifted them expensive watches, laptops and music systems whenever they have won. "That’s the hallmark of a leader!" commented our source. "You need to motivate your team and not demoralise them."

Our source further added, "The team to watch out in the IPL is Kolkata Knight Riders. They started on a winning spree but have had a rough road in between. Shah Rukh is now geared up to ensure that his team makes headway. He is not the one to give up."

Here’s a sample of the text message which Shah Rukh sent to his team - "Winning feels so good... am so happy... we have proved to ourselves... we can take a hit... but we won’t stay down... my love and hugs ... have a great evening... just finished watching us stick like a team... my wife and kids are screaming this is good yapee... sorry not behaving my age... but what the hell... want to cry like a baby and can’t wait to come and be with you guys.. will be there... only 29 hours to go...and a dance is pending."

The Kingfisher head honcho, Mallya, should definitely take a leaf out of King Khan’s life!

Shah Rukh follows Dustin Hoffman footsteps

For those who think that Shah Rukh Khan cannot play anything beyond stereotypical characters, think again. Shah Rukh's close buddy Karan Johar has challenged Shah Rukh's acting abilities by asking him to play an autistic in his next, My Name is Khan.

No doubt SRK will take inspiration from Dustin Hoffman who played an autistic in Rain Man (1988). Rain Man is a 1988 film by Barry Levinson, which tells the story of an abrasive, selfish yuppie, Charlie Babbitt, who discovers that his father has left all of his multimillion-dollar estate to his brother, Raymond, a savant, whom he never knew existed.

Shah Rukh did not take long to say 'yes' to Karan. Our well-placed source in Bollywood says, "SRK can't wait for the film to begin. He is very excited about playing this different character." An autistic is a person who suffers from pervasive developmental disorder, which starts off in childhood, it is characterised by impaired communication, excessive rigidity, and emotional detachment.

Dustin Hoffman (l) in a still from Rain Man

"However, he will have to wait since My Name Is Khan is a bit delayed. Karan had allowed Aditya Chopra to start Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi first, so SRK will first free himself from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (opposite the 19-year old Bangalorean newcomer Anushka Sharma) and then get on to this challenging role," our source adds.

A source close to Shah Rukh says, "He's adventurous and dares to take risks, he dares to be different, and he dares to break all rules. It is a misconception that he is repetitive and does not like to play different characters. His performances in Swades and Chak De! India are the best examples to prove this point. My Name Is Khan will be a big trump card in SRK's repertoire. Playing an autistic will be challenging. Shah Rukh will have to do a lot of homework."