Bellazon

2018 World Cup

Stromboli1

Um Novo Homem Todo Dia | Gillette & Neymar Jr.

Neymar admits exaggerated reactions at World Cup in ad

SAO PAULO (AP) — Neymar used a sponsor’s ad to admit he exaggerated some of his reactions after being fouled during the World Cup in Russia. The video, published Sunday and broadcast on several Brazilian TV networks, features the striker accepting criticism for the first time and promising to pick himself up.

The striker scored two goals in the tournament and was not too disappointing until his team got knocked out by Belgium in the quarter-finals, but fans and players have spoken much more about his theatrics on the pitch, which included dives, rolling and frequent arguing with referees.

“You may think I exaggerate. And sometimes I do exaggerate. But the truth is I suffer on the pitch,” Neymar said in the ad sponsored by personal care products maker Gillette.

Since Brazil’s elimination, Neymar only spoke about the defeat in Russia via Instagram. In the ad he tried to explain why he did not speak right after the Belgium game, which fostered even more criticism of his behavior at home.

“When I leave without giving interviews it is not because I only want the victory laurels. It is because I still haven’t learned to disappoint you. When I look impolite, it is not because I am a spoiled kid. It is because I have not learned how to be frustrated,” the player said.

Neymar said his football style is akin to a boy’s that “sometime charms the world, sometimes irritates the whole world.” ″I fight to keep that boy alive inside of me, but not on the pitch,” he said.

“You may think I fall too much,” Neymar continued. “But the truth is I did not fall. I fell apart,” he said, in a reference to Brazil’s quarter-finals elimination against Belgium. “That hurts more than any step on an operated ankle.”

The piece ends with Neymar’s pledge to be a new man less than a month after Brazil was knocked out of the World Cup.

“I took long to accept your criticism. I took long to look at myself in the mirror and become a new man,” Neymar said. “I fell, but only who falls can pick himself up.”

Neymar ends his ad asking fans to make a choice.

“You can keep casting stones. Or throw these stones away and help me stand. When I stand, all of Brazil stands with me,” he said.

On July 20, at his first public appearance after the World Cup, Neymar did not talk about his exaggerations. Instead, he said he wasn’t upset with critics that made fun of his theatrics in Russia.

https://apnews.com/10ecc3bcc07a42e6b0ec89ebba3499c9

What is the truth? Indeed, he did not admit to embellishing at first but instead defended his actions on the pitch.

He did poke fun at himself on at least 3 occasions. However, he would have gotten ridiculed and memed even harder if he had gotten mad about it.

The ad seems to say that those fouls did hurt but that he also needs to mature.

I think it’s possible that there were several reasons for his antics such as:

- Fear of getting injured
- Not wanting the opponent to get an unfair advantage because getting fouled, even if it’s minor, means that he can’t perform to the best of his abilities 
- Covering up that he wasn’t in top form due to not having played much because he had been recovering from surgery (indirectly admits to it in the ad when he says he crumbled?)
- Strategy – waste time on the clock, frustrate the opponent, seek a penalty shot because it’s the best opportunity to score, get a water break etc. for your teammates, possibly get a red card for your opponent – it not being good sportsmanship doesn’t seem to matter much when the opponent isn’t exactly fair play either and you could win the World Cup
- Getting personal, getting even – when an opponent he has been squabbling with commits a foul, it can be a “Gotcha!” moment for him so he then tries to get the opponent booked, trolls him, makes it a shitshow to him too
- Flashy playing style invites opponents to foul him, he was the most fouled player in the tournament but the rules are the same for everyone and he thinks that the referees need to protect him more (relates to not wanting to get hurt because sometimes the only way opponents can stop him is by kicking him on the legs)
- Personality – he can be hot-headed, he is an emotional player so exaggerating, having all of the attention on him, histrionics seem to fit that, he doesn’t get embarrassed or feel emasculated by rolling around etc. after small contact maybe because he is still secure in the knowledge that he is one of the best players in the world and everyone else knows it too and admits it even if they don’t like him – but this ties into the whole being a brat and needing to mature thing :)

Hopefully, he will change, and this is not just panic from his sponsors. I think the rules will change too after this controversy like VAR will get to review possible dives. But I suspect that it will take a long time before the sport can be rid of embellishment by players because feeling pain is so subjective. But VAR should still be able to call out blatant Neymar-like overreactions.

France deserved to win the World Cup, but Deschamps had them playing with the handbrake on all tournament long. With so much attacking talent, they should really play a far more expansive style. Perhaps it will be a repeat of 1998 and 2000, where they went from a very defensive style to win the World Cup to a far more attacking style of play to win the European Championships.

• 1 month later...

France were cautious above all else, a testament to the Deschamps approach of containing, restricting, then letting his flair players off the leash for a few minutes in order to grab a goal or two. They were never wedded to a particular or a pure style of play, they did different things in response to their opponents' qualities to nullify and overcome them, and to be fair they never really looked in danger of losing. There were times when I really wanted to see them take off the gloves and blitz the opposition, because I believe this side could do just that to almost any international opponent at present, but I suppose, looking at the list of recent World Cup winners, all the coaches were pragmatists or demonstrated considerable pragmatism during the competition.

Overall though, an entertaining tournament. Only a few genuine dud games and some goals of majestic quality. A plucky underdog in the final, old favourites going home early. And most importantly of all, despite all the fears beforehand, no trouble.

• 3 months later...

That`s just hilarious!

On 7/31/2018 at 1:38 AM, Sanni said:

Um Novo Homem Todo Dia | Gillette & Neymar Jr.

https://apnews.com/10ecc3bcc07a42e6b0ec89ebba3499c9

What is the truth? Indeed, he did not admit to embellishing at first but instead defended his actions on the pitch.

He did poke fun at himself on at least 3 occasions. However, he would have gotten ridiculed and memed even harder if he had gotten mad about it.

The ad seems to say that those fouls did hurt but that he also needs to mature.

I think it’s possible that there were several reasons for his antics such as:

- Fear of getting injured
- Not wanting the opponent to get an unfair advantage because getting fouled, even if it’s minor, means that he can’t perform to the best of his abilities 
- Covering up that he wasn’t in top form due to not having played much because he had been recovering from surgery (indirectly admits to it in the ad when he says he crumbled?)
- Strategy – waste time on the clock, frustrate the opponent, seek a penalty shot because it’s the best opportunity to score, get a water break etc. for your teammates, possibly get a red card for your opponent – it not being good sportsmanship doesn’t seem to matter much when the opponent isn’t exactly fair play either and you could win the World Cup
- Getting personal, getting even – when an opponent he has been squabbling with commits a foul, it can be a “Gotcha!” moment for him so he then tries to get the opponent booked, trolls him, makes it a shitshow to him too
- Flashy playing style invites opponents to foul him, he was the most fouled player in the tournament but the rules are the same for everyone and he thinks that the referees need to protect him more (relates to not wanting to get hurt because sometimes the only way opponents can stop him is by kicking him on the legs)
- Personality – he can be hot-headed, he is an emotional player so exaggerating, having all of the attention on him, histrionics seem to fit that, he doesn’t get embarrassed or feel emasculated by rolling around etc. after small contact maybe because he is still secure in the knowledge that he is one of the best players in the world and everyone else knows it too and admits it even if they don’t like him – but this ties into the whole being a brat and needing to mature thing :)

Hopefully, he will change, and this is not just panic from his sponsors. I think the rules will change too after this controversy like VAR will get to review possible dives. But I suspect that it will take a long time before the sport can be rid of embellishment by players because feeling pain is so subjective. But VAR should still be able to call out blatant Neymar-like overreactions.

No secret that Neymar can come across as a bit of a wazzock at times, but I still enjoy watching him. For all the accusations of diving, ego and indulgence he never shies away from a game, regardless of how he's playing. That takes some guts.

Even if he is just in it for himself, the result is a fanatically driven sportsman. As much as we all probably like a guy like Ronaldinho more and rightly so, imagine how much longer he'd have had at the top with Neymar's drive. This lad will almost certainly end up as Brazil's all-time leading goalscorer and I think it would be fair to say that they've had some players down the years.